U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 03:10 PM

3,664 posts, read 8,836,042 times

Advertisements

Though not technically on the East "Coast", Cincinnati and Pittsburgh look similar to Portland being river cities and similar looking downtown areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 04:44 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,564,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Though not technically on the East "Coast", Cincinnati and Pittsburgh look similar to Portland being river cities and similar looking downtown areas.
Portland is a beautiful city, but I'm not quite convinced Portland's downtown area is similar to Pittsburgh's:

Portland:

By Jami Dwyer

Pittsburgh:

By ainulindale (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/ainulindale - broken link), shot with C960Z,D460Z (http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=C960Z%2CD460Z&make=OLYMPUS+OPT ICAL+CO.%2CLTD - broken link) at 2008-03-04

Old 03-06-2008, 05:05 PM

2,039 posts, read 5,777,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Not really, Portland is WAY nicer and friendlier than Pittsburgh.
There is a reason why Pittsburgh is known as Sh*ttsburgh!

Old 03-06-2008, 09:42 PM

86,981 posts, read 102,527,356 times
I honestly think the only place like Portland is. . . Portland! Every city is very unique unto itself. You are certainly not going to find anything very Portland-esque on the east coast. Portland is a city of transplants. The eastern cities have lots of people who have lived there for generations. Pittsburgh is certainly a place like that. Many people have family going back 3-4 generations. 78% of the people living there were born in Pennsylvania. Just about half the people in Portland were born in Oregon. Certainly, the ambience of the two is going to be very different.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:14 AM

8,193 posts, read 22,318,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3StillLooking View Post

When one moves to Maine, specifcially Portland, would you say that you swap the OR rainy season for the NE snow season? Although it didn't have a great affect on me, my wife was bummed by the clouded skies over Portland, OR -- are we going to face the same type of cloudedness in Maine?

Thanks for the info
Not really. You'll probably see more snow then you have ever seen in Portland, ME--but it is right on the coast and has many rainy or frozen rain days then you probably think. You have to go further inland to really get hit with the snow.

I was born in California and while I never lived in Portland, Or. I have spent enough time there to (at one point in time) consider it a second home. Portland, ME is highly comparable, albeit a fraction of the size. Burlington Vermont is also comparable, and it is not a 'hard core' college town. Ashville, NC. is a good comparison. Portsmouth is a lot like Portland (ME) and Burlington, and may be to your liking.

Since you are from the Cape, may I suggest Amherst, MA? I think that Amherst would be the closest comparison to Portland, OR.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 22 days ago)

9,829 posts, read 21,130,434 times
From a skyline prospective, I'd say Cincinnati is very similar to Portland

Culturally, parts of Louisville are very similar (lots of Liberals, large environmentalist movement, cycling very popular).

Old 03-07-2008, 11:00 PM

3,133 posts, read 8,332,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
Not really, Portland is WAY nicer and friendlier than Pittsburgh.
There is a reason why Pittsburgh is known as Sh*ttsburgh!
Why don't you tell us know-it-all?

Old 03-08-2008, 01:50 AM

5,682 posts, read 8,749,928 times
My comment about Asheville is they've got one demographic lump of alternative, hippie or new age folks and another lump of country southern folk and there is resentment between the 2 groups. Not enough middle of the road middle class folks to act as a buffer.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:27 AM

4,459 posts, read 6,379,112 times
Portland as well as the urban areas of the PNW-like Eugene and Seattle have a very unique idiosyncratic vibe that you will unlikely find elsewhere.

These places are a mixture of wild eyed liberals, fanatical environmentalists, absolute bohemians and former hippies. And I agree no place in Virginia including Charlottesville will duplicate Portland.

On the east coast the only towns of such kookiness would be Burlington, and especially Brattleboro Vermont. New Haven CT to a degree, Providence RI some, Provincetown Mass, and to a degree Portland Me. but especially Oqonquit.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:33 AM

1,573 posts, read 5,648,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
I LIVE in Portland and am looking for this Portland that you describe.
How long ago did you live here?
Looks like the OP is long gone. But I agree with the gist of your comment that they really seem to be nostalgic for all of the good and maybe do not recall some of the bad. Obviously, the OP moved away from Portland, so there must have been something more appealing about Charlottesville at the time to prompt them to move. I think Portland is a great city. And a fairly unique city in the U.S. The OP is in for a tough time finding something in the east to match their idealized version of Portland. I would say Asheville and Burlington come to mind, but they are not really the same, despite some similarities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
My comment about Asheville is they've got one demographic lump of alternative, hippie or new age folks and another lump of country southern folk and there is resentment between the 2 groups. Not enough middle of the road middle class folks to act as a buffer.
Hmmm. Sounds a bit like the larger divide that exists in the state of Oregon between the liberal Portland/Eugene types and the more conservative rural Oregonians. Or the new divide between Californians and non-Californians!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or