Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 01:26 PM

942 posts, read 1,391,408 times

Advertisements

I think in all honesty Portland Maine, is a nicer place to live or the areas nearby, but it is cold and I mean cold. There will be alot of snow, it varies by season, and the ocean can both cause less or more snow accumulations depending on the type storms and weather conditions over the ocean. I actually would prefer to live in New England, I miss the homey and less transient feel to it, the nice small downtowns in the smaller towns, but I cannot stand the cold winters. I forgot to add burlington Vt, and Portsmouth NH to that list, but saw so many others had told you, they are all more than nice areas, and remember NH has no sales and no income tax, makes up for it though on property taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 01:30 PM

Although you get cloud cover in Portland, Maine, it is not the long long darkness and clouds you experience in Oregon, the Northwest sets the record on that, You will see more sunny skies in Maine than here, I have heard that Burlington Vt, is second only to Oregon in cloud cover, I don't know what that is all about, they are well inland.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:03 PM

60 posts, read 64,271 times
Shhhhhh....stop talking up Pittsburgh!

I like Pittsburgh's friendliness, the fact that my neighbors know me and talk to me, that there isn't a lot of racial tension here AT ALL, and that Pittsburgh has one of the lowest costs of living anywhere. If you guys start telling people to move here, it'll drive up the cost of housing and increase the congestion on the highways.

So listen up -- everyone who's thinking of moving to the 'burgh: it's awful here. Dreadful. I would suggest moving to...oh...let's see...New York...or Atlanta...or Dallas.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:29 PM

Someone might think you mean Portland Maine, but I sure know you mean Oregon

Old 04-23-2007, 07:43 PM

13 posts, read 42,614 times
Default Thanks

Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for all of the help. We're off to check out other forums -- specifically Pittsburgh, Portland ME, and Asheville NC.

We have a picture -- Thanks.

3StillLooking

Old 04-24-2007, 01:25 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,496,911 times
Manchester, NH? Syracuse, NY? Pittsburgh, PA? Scranton, PA?

Manchester, NH

I'd say Manchester. Maybe Bangor, Maine?

Old 03-04-2008, 01:54 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,716,521 times
I grew up in the midwest (Ohio) and lived in Portland Ore and denver and Champaign-urbana Illinois. The thing that Pittsburg probably has that is similar to Portland oregon: midwestern friendliness and the river feel.

There is a bit of range in between: sort of like saying Cincinnati is like Washington DC because they are both along the Mason-Dixon line.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:55 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Interesting question.

The answer would be no.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:11 PM

920 posts, read 2,812,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3StillLooking View Post
I guess the first thing is the friendliness one finds in Portland. People are easy to get along with, and they are kind... however, we never felt as though we were judged for not having as much money as the next guy. As a matter of fact, one of the things we loved the most about Portland was that you could go to a little bar and stand next to a person who owns a multimillion dollar company and not have any idea because they aren't pretentious.
I LIVE in Portland and am looking for this Portland that you describe.
How long ago did you live here?

Old 03-04-2008, 02:14 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
I would think Boston comes closest to what you are looking for but there are a few things to consider. The cost of living in Boston is outrageous. So, you won't live as comfortable life as you are used to. Also, teachers are a dime a dozen in that neck of the woods so finding a teaching job may be difficult.
On the other hand, Pittsburgh may be the place. It has a lower cost of living and the hills of Portland. It actually has less crime than most other eastern cities. It has some mass transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.