Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your feelings towards "the suburbs?"
I hate them very much. I hate almost everything about them. 26 16.35%
I don't care for them, but thats just my personality. No biggie. 65 40.88%
I like them. 44 27.67%
I love them, and could never live in a rural/urban area. 10 6.29%
Other. 14 8.81%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 11:11 AM

306 posts, read 473,157 times

Advertisements

What is the general feeling you have about "the suburbs?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 11:16 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,864,575 times
I love the NYC suburbs. Close enough to the city, more urban than most suburbs around the country, so you still have that slight urban feel. I'm moving to Nassau county on Long Island, which everyone says is the new Queens. You get to have a decent sized hard and house, but also a quick train ride to midtown with many buses and trains around.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:25 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,749,161 times
It depends on the suburb...some are acceptable, some aren't. Some determining factors are: proximity to the city, transit stations, character, amenities, traffic, etc.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:34 AM

9,135 posts, read 13,150,579 times
Smile Not all suburbs are generic cookie cutter sprawl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It depends on the suburb...some are acceptable, some aren't. Some determining factors are: proximity to the city, transit stations, character, amenities, traffic, etc.
I agree with what you and Rachel in her post are both saying. It really depends on what suburb you are talking about - and there are some for almost everyone. For those who like it, there are even suburbs that are denser than many cities.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I agree with what you and Rachel in her post are both saying. It really depends on what suburb you are talking about - and there are some for almost everyone. For those who like it, there are even suburbs that are denser than many cities.
True. Do you think that almost everyone would "hate" the urban sprawled cookie cutter ones though? The final frontier before rural America begins?

Old 04-12-2009, 11:47 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,688,469 times
Hate most of them. A few older "street car" suburbs are ok. Like somebody said above, some older ones seem to be a bit more urban than newer ones.
Too many strip malls and chain stores for me.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:49 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,864,575 times
I voted for "I like them" because even though I love them, I could also live in an urban setting (Have lived in nyc proper 2 times in my life).

Old 04-12-2009, 11:49 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,187,490 times
An unnatural attempt to capture the qualities of the city with that of the villages and rural communities, which just results in an unholy bastardization. The suburbs, being completely planned and manufactured, are obviously not fit for natural human existence without an aid like a car.

This obviously doesn't apply to older suburbs, that actually did develop naturally and are human friendly. There are a small few suburbs that I have been in that I would actually consider at least marginally livable and aesthetically pleasing. Even then I still wouldn't want to live in them. Not until I'm at retiring age and they come to haul me off.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:55 AM

There is a Chicago suburb, Oak Park, which is actually older than the whole west side of Chicago. Chicago grew out to it.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:02 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,749,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMathYou View Post
True. Do you think that almost everyone would "hate" the urban sprawled cookie cutter ones though? The final frontier before rural America begins?
Those would be the exurbs...and are generally the ones most people despise and discuss - often as if all suburbs are of that same mold.

There are many I'm familiar with that are very close to the city, and there is no real difference in most of these suburbs and other neighborhoods of the city. In fact, most cities have several neighborhoods that were formerly turn-of-the-century suburbs (or older) that have since become part of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.