U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 12:55 AM

25 posts, read 103,354 times

Advertisements

What make Canada so different from United States. Why is United States so racially diverse and Canada is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 01:05 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,969,835 times
This should probably be in "world."

Canada actually has a fair degree of diversity. Their population might be more Asian than us or at least roughly the same. They have a noteworthy "First Nations/Aboriginal", what we'd call Native American, population. (I'm using the term "Native American" as I want to include their Inuit population)

Their black population is going to be lower as they were never a place where plantation slavery could work. However they have received Blacks who fought for Britain in the Revolutionary War, escaped American slaves, and Black Caribbeans. Nova Scotia is believed to have had the first black woman mayor in North America. (Daurene Lewis) Their Hispanic population is going to be lower because they do not border any nation in Latin America.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:02 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,995,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by er5603an View Post
What make Canada so different from United States. Why is United States so racially diverse and Canada is not.
Have you been to Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver?

I remember moving from Cincinnati to Toronto in 1977 after high school. I heard more langages on a TTC train in ONE hour than i had in the previous 18 years.

Canada had open immigration since the 1970s and you see a huge variety of people. In fact, the Canadian restaurant in the small town my father fishes at was taken over by a Sri Lankan couple. The food is generally the same as before BUT if you call them in advance, they will make you a wicked curry.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:49 PM

4,570 posts, read 6,546,454 times
Quote:
For one thing, Canada is more socially to the left as opposed to the United States, which is a little more to the right.

Everyone knows that Canada is the closet comparable country to the US. Their practically sisters. As far as racially diversity, Canada is quite diverse (Thought, not as diverse as the US). Toronto and Vancouver are minority-majority cities, with more than half of the population is visibly a minority in both cities. Toronto is very well the second most diverse city in North America.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:18 PM

56,618 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
For one thing, Canada is more socially to the left as opposed to the United States, which is a little more to the right.

Everyone knows that Canada is the closet comparable country to the US. Their practically sisters. As far as racially diversity, Canada is quite diverse (Thought, not as diverse as the US). Toronto and Vancouver are minority-majority cities, with more than half of the population is visibly a minority in both cities. Toronto is very well the second most diverse city in North America.
Actually, I've heard that Toronto is unofficially the most "diverse" city in the world.

Canada is "diverse", but it just manifests itself differently than the US due to socio-historical and immigration reasons. I believe if you count up the people of color in both countries, it's something like 35% for the US and 20% for Canada(not sure if that includes peopleof First Nations backgrounds, as they aren't considered as a "minority" in Canada).

Old 07-02-2009, 06:36 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,596,702 times
Canada's major cities are extremely diverse and have a higher percentage of foreign born residents than comparable American cities.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:40 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,963,866 times
Canada has more Native Americans than we do. Canada is safer. Canada is cold in every part of its country; And Canada is way less populated than us.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:32 PM

251 posts, read 739,749 times
We live in GTA (Great Toronto area) and it's really a very diverse city. I've heard on local radio that more than half Torontonians were born not in Canada. And in our company in IT about 80% of workers new immigrants.
P.S. May be this is why my English so bad lol . It's not easy to find person with perfect English

Old 07-04-2009, 06:28 PM

61 posts, read 63,268 times
White Canadians and Yankees are basically the same people. They even sound nearly the same. Canada is an accidental byproduct of the American Revolution. They are more liberal but that comes from a naivete born of isolation (just as in the far northern states) and not having to pay for their defense.

A great deal of mental effort is expended pretending that Canadians and Yanks are different people but Southerners and Yanks are the same people.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:57 PM

365 posts, read 1,054,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyfox2000 View Post
White Canadians and Yankees are basically the same people. They even sound nearly the same. Canada is an accidental byproduct of the American Revolution. They are more liberal but that comes from a naivete born of isolation (just as in the far northern states) and not having to pay for their defense.
Err? Excuse us?
How do we not pay for our defense?

Quote:
Canada and the United States are subtlety different from each other - our differences are relatively minor.

Canada is also very diverse, many historical immigration patterns that happened in the US happened in Canada albeit on a smaller scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or