U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 09:42 PM

5,298 posts, read 5,773,362 times

Advertisements

It just seems school violence as a whole is up. School used to be safe haven back in the day. If someone had a problem with someone they would meet at the kickball field,throw a few fisty cuffs and be done with it.Now you read about kids carrying guns,knives and razor blades.What has changed so drastically between when I was a kid in school in the 80's to now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 09:56 PM

332 posts, read 359,461 times
I'm a 17 year old boy who goes to school in Texas and this school year alone We've had about 5 threats of a school shooting. One was a list of black people a boy was going to shoot, threating to shoot all the teachers and principals,and the other 3 were about blowing up the school.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:47 PM

It is definately alot scarier these days for kids in school these days.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:32 AM

223 posts, read 217,993 times
when i was in school the only trouble makers were the school bullys.the kids today are exposed to alot more violence then when i was a kid.my sisters home schooled their 2 children & it was a good idea.i home schooled myself in 11th & 12th grade & worked full time for low wages.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:03 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,154,422 times
I know people who went on to medical school who were homeschooled, they were smart, above average in intelligence and had impeccable manners. I think if people knew more bout it, had the means to do it, they would! There is a whole social network that goes along with it, from Wiccans to the Church of GOD people, if people google homeschooling, they can see a whole different world exists, one that is wholesome and alot less scarier!

Old 04-17-2007, 08:42 AM

606 posts, read 534,095 times
there are always some jerks in the world.If you allow everyone to use gun,you also allow jerks to use guns,too

Old 04-17-2007, 09:12 AM

17 posts, read 126,575 times
I think it is due to lack of the proper discipline and consistency. Children dont seem to have as much parental guidance as they did in the past and it seems to be declining more all the time. ( I have seen parents tell their children if you dont put that down I am going to spank you.. or if you dont stop hitting your brother I am going to send you to your room ect. ect.) and the parent stands there and actualy allows the child to continue the negative behavior and there isnt a penalty to pay just a bunch of talk that goes in one ear and out the other. "Why wouldnt a child do something that is wrong when there isn't a penalty in the home to pay everytime they break a rule?" If a child doesn't learn growing up and learn with consistency that every single time you break a rule they must pay a penalty for it,then you cannot expect a child understand that there is a penalty for breaking the law or committing crimes that could result in prison.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:55 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,154,422 times
It is really a lack of parenting on BOTH extremes and both result from child abuse, either not being firm enough, being afraid to hurt your child and sometimes it is being too tough and hurting them, both actions are of the same coin, both result from uphappy homes and both usually keep repeating the cycles, sadly only education will help and too many people just seem to be too busy to get help or to care...remember they grew up in a dysfunctional home, so dysfuction seems normal to them, maybe help someone and help their life maybe? That is what I do, been there, done that, so I try to help rather than judge them.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:19 AM

I do believe alot has to do with both parents having to work,leaving kids to fend for themselves. Alot of us in our 40's on up had at least 1 parent home,so kids end up in gangs,on drugs or just in trouble period. It is alot different now.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:26 AM

48,141 posts, read 45,495,400 times
After living to hear about the Columbine shooting and other school violence going on, I am not shocked to hear about school violence anymore. Sad, yes. Shocked, no. School s are no longer safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or