U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 08:34 AM

1,741 posts, read 3,011,395 times

Advertisements

Of the states you have listed, only Texas has any cities that are as large or as cosmopolitan as London.

In keeping with the brutal summers that typify MOST of the areas within these four states, you may want to consider living within 50 miles of Houston, Texas. If you would really prefer a more temperate climate, then you may want to consider some areas north and east of Birmingham, Alabama. Huntsville, Alabama might prove ideal, owing to its European influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 09:25 AM

430 posts, read 305,557 times
I think you might find Lafayette, LA most pleasant coming from England.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:32 AM

72,027 posts, read 83,705,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
I moved from the UK. I lived in Colorado first and now Dallas. Honestly I would not recommend it. You should visit first, because it's very hot, the scenery is not nearly as nice and the culture here is very different from what we are used to. I guess thats not really a bad thing, but it was hard for me to adjust to.

The people are very friendly in Dallas, at least where I have been. Lots of good food and night life here is pretty fun. I always have people asking where I am from and I lived in the US for awhile now. Can't hide the fact I am not a texan. lol
cupcake, you are right about the weather and yes, everyone should visit before making the move espicially when we are talking about another country, but we have no idea what the OP is looking for? Maybe the weather will not bother her even though it is very different. I know a lot of people from UK that live all over the USA and love every minute of it. One of my good friends live in Dallas, she is from London, another is from Holland.

I think right now the OP would like to know who she can go-about making the move..Maybe you can help her with that, some of us have very little idea..

Nita

Old 07-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,826 posts, read 33,233,153 times
The posts above may appear to be jumbled. It's not the fault of the members who posted them. They were originally in 4 separate threads on the same topic that were combined into this one thread.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:56 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,217,832 times
Just about anywhere in Texas your chances of finding work is pretty good. I recommend Texas.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:57 AM

3,277 posts, read 4,617,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flustered View Post
hey everyone, i currently live in london, england. i've completely had enough of it and i've always wanted to live in the southern states of america! but i have no idea how to go about it haha. there are four states that would be ideal, which are ; texas, louisiana, mississippi and alabama. i'm looking to move to a smallish town that isn't too far from a large city and with friendly, welcoming people. (also, a nice collection of single men wouldn't go amiss )

if anyone has any ideas, i'd be really grateful!
Wow, if you don't mind, I'm interested in what made you decide this?

Anyway, you might want a moderately sized town/suburb in Texas. There are a lot of them.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:28 AM

7,603 posts, read 9,461,621 times
Default I guess..

...that out of the 4 states you mentioned, Texas might be the best option, BUT PLEASE , visit first. Any of these 4 states will have extremely long, hot, humid summers, and you might be in for a little culture shock, as well.

You might enjoy cities such as New York, Chicago and Boston, too, so don't rule them out either.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:12 PM

816 posts, read 1,679,295 times
Wow, your life is going to change big time in the US, flustered. Coming from London, your definitely going to have a huge culture shock especially in Louisiana and Mississippi. I myself had a culture shock coming through these two from mid-size Texas city. You probably won't have that big of a culture shock in the North like Boston, Chicago, and New York City.

If your looking for high-tech jobs then Texas is for you because major hubs are in Austin and Dallas, internet to be specifically (Remember, Internet leads to high-tech jobs). Also, Atlanta and Huntsville are good ones too.

You will not have a problem living in any southern states when it comes to trees except West Texas.

You will definitely complain about the heat & humidity in all of South. Texas is the worst comparing to any other states but I actually like the heat here in Texas. If your looking for something not like Texas then Georgia and Alabama might be it since it is not as bad as Texas. You will more than likely find a job in Texas than anywhere else in the nation because it actually has a surplus in the economy despite the recession in the USA. Many cities in Texas are growing like crazy.

Like Hoarfrost said, I'm very interested why you want to move here? Are you getting sick of London?

Old 07-01-2009, 10:48 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,757,702 times
If you like small towns you might want to check out Smithville, TX. It's right next to the Lost Pines so the scenery is good. It's 40 miles from Austin so you have a big city and high tech jobs nearby.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:50 AM

246 posts, read 682,877 times
Austin, TX without a doubt would be your cup of tea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or