U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 07:46 AM

61 posts, read 63,193 times

Advertisements

Funny, while all white countries are being swamped by legal and illegal 3rd-world immigrants, they have made it increasingly difficult for each other's citizens to migrate amongst them. If you aren't young, rich, have an in-demand degree or aren't a member of the Russian-Jewish mafia, you are basically a prisoner in your own country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 07:51 AM

18,631 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverestClimb View Post
Maybe a college town in Texas? San Marcos, Tyler, College Station? Because of the university presence it would be pretty nice. of course you are correct that anyplace in America is far right of London except San Fran
Well politically, San Marcos maybe. Tyler and especially College Station, nah. Two very conservative areas. I mean, we're talking about the Aggies here.

Just checked. San Marcos which is in Hays County BARELY went to McCain. So that tells me that the college crowd and Hispanics are now becoming the majority and the democrats are focusing on that area more. San Marcos would work. Close proximity to Austin and San Antonio.

College Station and Tyler though......

Old 07-04-2009, 08:09 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,619,628 times
Hoarfrost said " I think that much worse is the Southerners on this board downplaying the extreme culture shock that a young girl from London is going to experience moving to a small town in the Deep Southern US. "

No one has denied the culture difference. Have you been to London and the South? Just wondering if you are speaking from experience or from afar. Sophisticated people from the London area have been to my area in the deep South. They have had no problem, fit in, and in some cases moved here for work at the university and are perfectly fine. I have experience with young people from all around the world coming to the South to study and they LOVE it. Is that a shock to you?

Of course, again as I mentioned in my earlier post--the locale makes a big difference--a closed rural area with people who never leave the county is different from a town like say Oxford, Ms or the coastal areas of Alabama.

I do agree that the OP needs to be very careful. A walkable town with cafes and shopping and educational opportunities, cultural events, leisure activities, and a sophisticated populace will alleviate a lot of the culture shock. Fairhope, Al., Dallas, Tx, Oxford, Ms, Birmingham or Mobile, Al. or Baton Rouge, La. may be possibilities.

It might be more useful to give suggestions about communities of varying sizes that might fit the bill rather than suggesting that the entire South is a provincial backwater filled with religious zealots and Ku Klux KLaners.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:54 AM

12 posts, read 27,941 times
It never ceases to amaze me how people still cling to ideas about the South that in the modern world are increasingly untrue. Are there rednecks in the South? Absolutely. Are there stupid, uneducated, racist people in the North, or in England, or France, or anywhere else? Of course there are. People often cite the high rate of poverty and obesity here in the South as a reason not to live here. Well, I've lived here all my life and have never once been chased by an angry horde of fat poor people. I have never once seen a KKK member in person, or a lynching, or a desegregation protest, or any of the other things from the 50's and 60's that they stereotype us as.

People also attack the South because of Christianity. Once again, having lived here all my life, I've never been beaten with a Bible, or have never had an angry mob of torch carrying Christians in my yard. The only time I've EVER been approached about religion was an occasional Jehovah's Witness knocking on my door. I'm openly gay, and have never once been attacked for it. And, here's a strange idea, maybe some people are Christians, and would want to live in a place where there are other Christians (gasp)! There is such a thing as freedom of religion in this country whether the radical left wingers like it or not.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:13 AM

60 posts, read 159,028 times
Northwest Arkansas ftw. Wouldn't be as much of a culture shock as the deep south. Weather is better too imo. Rapidly growing area where the ppl are friendly.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:31 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,317,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post
It is very much likely that you Northern Liberals still look at South as the past. I guess you watch too much liberal media.

Flustered, I warn you not to listen to doctorjef. We do not want Far-left people like doctorjef (I'm assuming from what he stated above) here in the South. They will only screw things up like they did in California.

Sorry, I'm not a Northern liberal. Just a liberal. I am a native 5th generation Texan who has lived most of his life in that state, although I have also lived in Virginia, DC, Louisiana, the UK, and now Delaware. As a very young child I also lived in California and Okla, but too young for those to have made any impression.

If anything, I would be an Austin, TX liberal, I suppose. Further, I'm a practising Christian -- again a socially and theologically liberal one.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:36 PM

Someone beat me to it with regard to NE Arkansas, but Fayetteville Arkansas might be a good choice. Relatively small, relatively liberal, home of the principal state university, very pretty I believe.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:36 PM

5,429 posts, read 13,172,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Have you been to Austin in a last few years? It's not any different than Houston or Dallas. That is the problem that most Texans have with Austin. People think Austin is so different but in reality, it's just as Texan or cool as the next.
Exactly. I don't get this viewpoint people from out of state have about Austin. Austin is much more "Texan" than it is anything outside of the state. It's the state capital for crying out loud... you'll see Texas symbolism and such everywhere there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
The OP will likely learn that the Deep South is deeply influenced by conservative-evangelical and fundamentalist forms of Christianity, whose attitudes even infect the mainline denominations to an extent. Southerners tend to be homophobic, politically reactionary, patriotic in a way that is unreflective and jingoistic, and oftentimes racist even if they won't publically acknowledge it.
Really? Please explain then the example of Houston (which is only one example by the way.) 4th largest US city, extremely diverse, even ranking 3rd or 4th in the US in number of foreign consulates. It also has a reasonably large gay population. Pride '09 (photos)
How in the world could this be with such a scenario as you describe above?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Austin, Texas has a laid back, liberal vibe that Dallas and Houston don't have and will never have.
That's just plain ignorant. Unlike yourself, I've lived in both Austin and Houston, and in recent years. Outside of the University area and perhaps parts of South Austin, it's not so different from Houston or Dallas in general. Not to mention that Houston and Dallas also have liberal neighborhoods in their inner areas. The Montrose in Houston is weirder than anything I ever saw in Austin (and much larger.)

Old 07-04-2009, 08:29 PM

Predictably this thread has become a my-Texas-city is better than your city thread. I stand by what I've said, and to repeat -- I'm not some outsider who is idealising Austin. I lived there between 1972-76 and 1985-2004. I was last back there to sell my house in 2005.

Austin is different to anywhere else in Texas. Part of that is just being a city that is smaller, less industrial, and in a differnt part of the state than Dallas or Houston. The fact that Austin is the state capital doesn't actually count for that much, apart from govt bureaucracy being a significant part of the local economy. However, the great majority of the state legislature have a hostile attitude toward both the City of Austin and Travis County. Austin is indeed Texan, but in a quite different way to the rest of the state.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:06 AM

And BTW, in regard to AK123, Houston is NOT in the Deep South. The Deep South (or lower South) compises S. Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippis and Louisiana. Florida has evolved culturally in such a way that it can't really be considered a Deep Southern state anymore, even though geographically it is in the lower South. The only truly Southern part of Texas is the eastern 20% of the state, but I wouldn't include Houston in that. Texas really is sui generis. The consensus on the Austin subforum recently was that Austin is more southwestern than southern.

As has been pointed out before, Houston would be no escape from the big city for the OP -- the place is a huge, sprawling monster.

It's possible the OP might like Nashville -- you can get out in the countryside pretty easily from the city. Even though the Tennessee legislature has some very reactionary members (as does the Texas leg.), Nashville is a nice place. Chattanooga and Knoxville are also very pretty. Memphis OTOH has a horrible crime problem, isn't scenic in the least and is overall quite a stinky place.

Tennessee, Arkansas, North Carolina and Virginia can be considered part of the Upper South. That doesn't make them progressive overall, although all of those states have more progressive places within them and both North Carolina and Virginia have Democratic administrations (NC has a Democrat-controlled legislature as well).

The OP should understand that the Republican Party is far to the right of the Tories and sometimes talks a lot like the BNP. The Democrats aren't as far to the left as Labour historically, though are quite a bit like "New Labour".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or