U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-05-2009, 06:09 PM
 
3,277 posts, read 4,618,683 times
Reputation: 1913

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
The OP should understand that the Republican Party is far to the right of the Tories and sometimes talks a lot like the BNP. The Democrats aren't as far to the left as Labour historically, though are quite a bit like "New Labour".
Or the Front National, for another similar party to the Republican Party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-05-2009, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,653 posts, read 27,092,504 times
Reputation: 9584
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Predictably this thread has become a my-Texas-city is better than your city thread.

.
You say it's predictable because that's how you intended that to be. You saying that Austin is the only place to live in Texas because it's more liberal and different from the rest of the state is laughable and annoying to most Texans because Austin is just as Texan as the next city and the cities of Houston and Dallas are just as liberal as Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2009, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Greenville, Delaware
4,726 posts, read 10,330,971 times
Reputation: 2595
The BNP is of course what the National Front came to be -- same old racist reactionaries dressed in different clothes.

People elsewhere in Texas tend to hate Austin because its very existence is a reproach to them. They want to say Austin and Travis County are just like them, but in fact, that is all belied my the objective voting records and the Democratic delegation from Travis County.

Sorry, all you lame things who don't live in Austin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2009, 08:52 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,653 posts, read 27,092,504 times
Reputation: 9584
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
The BNP is of course what the National Front came to be -- same old racist reactionaries dressed in different clothes.

People elsewhere in Texas tend to hate Austin because its very existence is a reproach to them. They want to say Austin and Travis County are just like them, but in fact, that is all belied my the objective voting records and the Democratic delegation from Travis County.

Sorry, all you lame things who don't live in Austin!
This was true back in teh 1990s. It isn't true anymore. That's the part that you don't want to admit yourself. When's the last time you been there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2009, 06:20 AM
 
Location: Greenville, Delaware
4,726 posts, read 10,330,971 times
Reputation: 2595
Spade, I don't know what you're on about. If you mean there are democratic voters in Dallas and Houston, the fact is that democratic precincts in those cities are largely limited to ones with Black or Hispanic majorities. The white folks in those cities are largely very conservative. A few places like Montrose and Cedar Springs may be exceptions to that general rule.

As to your question when I was last in Texas, I believe I already stated that I moved away from the state in 2004 after continually living in Austin since 1985. Before that I lived in Beaumont for just over a year and before that in Ft Worth for a couple of years. Before that I was in Grand Junction, Colorado, but prior to Grand Junction I was in grad school in Ft Worth from 1976 to the end of 1980. Prior to grad school I finished my BA at UT-Austin and prior to that I was at Texas Tech for a year and had finished HS in Lubbock.

I last made a trip to Austin in 2005 to close the sale of my house there and to deal with the shipping of my furnishings to England.

I still have friends in Austin with whom I keep in touch, as well as friends in Ft Worth and Lubbock. I think I'm in touch with what's going on in Texas.

BTW, I think we may have lost the English girl who started this thread. Or perhaps she's totally confused by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2009, 06:28 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,127 posts, read 35,093,051 times
Reputation: 15343
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Spade, I don't know what you're on about. If you mean there are democratic voters in Dallas and Houston, the fact is that democratic precincts in those cities are largely limited to ones with Black or Hispanic majorities. The white folks in those cities are largely very conservative. A few places like Montrose and Cedar Springs may be exceptions to that general rule.

As to your question when I was last in Texas, I believe I already stated that I moved away from the state in 2004 after continually living in Austin since 1985. Before that I lived in Beaumont for just over a year and before that in Ft Worth for a couple of years. Before that I was in Grand Junction, Colorado, but prior to Grand Junction I was in grad school in Ft Worth from 1976 to the end of 1980. Prior to grad school I finished my BA at UT-Austin and prior to that I was at Texas Tech for a year and had finished HS in Lubbock.

I last made a trip to Austin in 2005 to close the sale of my house there and to deal with the shipping of my furnishings to England.

I still have friends in Austin with whom I keep in touch, as well as friends in Ft Worth and Lubbock. I think I'm in touch with what's going on in Texas.

BTW, I think we may have lost the English girl who started this thread. Or perhaps she's totally confused by now.
Or perhaps she just got fed up with all the anti-South trolling when all she wanted was some constructive input. Can't say I blame her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2009, 07:06 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,653 posts, read 27,092,504 times
Reputation: 9584
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Spade, I don't know what you're on about. If you mean there are democratic voters in Dallas and Houston, the fact is that democratic precincts in those cities are largely limited to ones with Black or Hispanic majorities. The white folks in those cities are largely very conservative. A few places like Montrose and Cedar Springs may be exceptions to that general rule.



.
Yes because we know Blacks and Hispanics really come out in huge numbers to vote in elections, right. That's pretty much false anyway because the Whites in these cities voted democrat in the last two elections in these cities especially 2008. Obama got 65% of the Dallas city vote and a good portion came from minorities as well as Whites. It becomes very conservative until you get to the suburbs. But the cities of Houston and Dallas are just as liberal as Austin. Get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2009, 07:08 AM
 
Location: Greenville, Delaware
4,726 posts, read 10,330,971 times
Reputation: 2595
LovinDecatur, I rather think you're projecting. I doubt "flustered" has enough of a formed opinion about the South to get "fed up" of what you deem to be anti-South trolling. Apparently your definition of trolling is opinion that you don't like. I named a number of places in the South that would be good propspects to look into, but I did try to redirect her about settling in a small town in states of the Deep South, and in general I wouldn't recommend most of those states. When they start showing a proper regard for separation of church and state - a secular civil society versus the infiltration of fundamentalist ideology into schools and state laws - and manifest some evidence of Democratic voting patterns in at least some white majority precincts, then I'll consider it appropriate to re-think my views.

Last edited by doctorjef; 07-06-2009 at 08:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2009, 08:49 AM
 
Location: 95468
1,383 posts, read 2,120,552 times
Reputation: 938
Default Fear not the deep dark south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
I think you are being terribly naive about states in the Deep South. DON'T MOVE THERE! You'll be fine in Texas, North Carolina, Virginia. The Deep South is a racist, backwards, hyper-religious, provincial place. Find a smaller town around the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area of North Carolina, or around Asheville, NC (in the Smokey Mountains). You might like Chapel Hill itself, home to the University of North Carolina. Or somewhere near Austin, Texas -- only place in the state to live IMHO. In Virginia perhaps near Charlottesville, near the Blue Ridge Mountains and home to the University of Virginia. Forget about places like Miss., Louisiana and Alabama for goodness sake!

Have you researched the immigration requirements? I'm not sure you've got it together on that subject. May be more complicated than you think.

BTW I'd still be living in London if it weren't for tax liability on offshore assets and remittances. At the time my partner and I moved to the UK it was quite easy to progress to indefinite leave to remain and ultimately to British citizenship. I think you'll find a lot more obstacles to long-term settlement in the USA, however.

Feel free to DM me if I can help with more specific info or insights.
Don't let the good doc frighten you about the deep south. Times have changed and some are a little slow in recognizing this. These unrepresentative stereotypes of a numerically insignificant segment of the southern population are not only misleading, they are an accepted bigotry that is shameful. We're better than that here and I apologize if you we're offended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2009, 08:51 AM
 
Location: 95468
1,383 posts, read 2,120,552 times
Reputation: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Or the Front National, for another similar party to the Republican Party.
Or the CPUSA to the democrat party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top