Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 05:56 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,475 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the long title... just looking for people's ideas of where sports is or is not part of the region's culture. By that, I mean, it's more than 3 hours entertainment -- it's an integral part of people's lives, the civic pride of an area, the fabric of the community.

Places that I've found like that include

-- Everywhere in Nebraska -- Husker football is life, but sports like volleyball and hockey are surprisingly popular
-- Chicago -- Sports seem to be prevalent everywhere
-- Boston
-- New York
-- Denver, to a lesser extent

Places where sports is simply a form of entertainment
-- Southern California as a whole
-- Las Vegas
-- Phoenix

Any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 06:01 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
Massillon and Canton, Ohio. The football hall of fame is in Canton. And, in the fall, it would be hard to miss the "Go Tigers" signs all around Massillon.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:04 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,437,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
Sorry for the long title... just looking for people's ideas of where sports is or is not part of the region's culture. By that, I mean, it's more than 3 hours entertainment -- it's an integral part of people's lives, the civic pride of an area, the fabric of the community.

Places that I've found like that include

-- Everywhere in Nebraska -- Husker football is life, but sports like volleyball and hockey are surprisingly popular
-- Chicago -- Sports seem to be prevalent everywhere
-- Boston
-- New York
-- Denver, to a lesser extent

Places where sports is simply a form of entertainment
-- Southern California as a whole
-- Las Vegas
-- Phoenix

Any other ideas?
So Cal residents are pretty crazy about their sports too. Maybe not as die hard as a New Yorker is for the Yankees, but here are some examples:

- USC Alumni are fanatic about their team, I mean it is one of the best in the country so why wouldn't they. They live and breath USC football.
-UCLA fans live and breath for UCLA basketball.
-Dodger fans are rampant and a major part of the culture.
-And finally, virtually everyone in LA loves the Lakers.
-The Angeles in Anaheim I would admit are more of an "entertainment team" though it does have some die hard fans.
-Also, many So Cal residents really love soccer, and the LA Galaxy and Chivas USA are gaining momentum and presence. They have a pretty loyal following.

So, sports are huge in So Cal and a major part of the culture. I think it is very unfair to blow the area off as superficial people that would only think of it as "entertainment." Honestly, people love their teams here.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:36 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,797 times
Philadelphia is a place where sports are taken ENTIRELy way too seriously.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:44 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,064 times
The entire state of Utah is pretty sports crazy from what I've read/seen on TV.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:38 PM

548 posts, read 2,015,926 times
Columbus is absolutely NUTS about the OSU football team. It's always football season in Columbus, year round.

OSU basketball? When they are winning and in March Madness, yes.

The Blue Jackets are only paid attention to by some die-hard sports fans or people with a lot of disposable income (those tickets are expensive!!!!)

Old 04-25-2008, 07:39 PM

548 posts, read 2,015,926 times
Also, Buffalo is a GREAT sports town. They go crazy for their Bills and the Sabres.

Pittsburgh too. Ever meet a Steelers fan? You'll never forget your encounter.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:05 PM

721 posts, read 2,609,987 times
Minnesota is all about hockey (no surpise I'm sure). The kids start playing hockey by age two. The state tournament draws over 200,000 crazy fans eveyr year. Every small little town is hockey crazy. Tiny Roseau, Minnesota has sent its hockey team over 20 times to the state tournament beating much larger schools from the metro area. It's like a religion.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:29 PM

146 posts, read 688,964 times
Baseball is LIFE here in Brooklyn...and I can't stand it. Needless to say, I was a bit of a pariah growing up. But honestly, it ticks me off when people spend SO much of their lives just watching other people playing a game. I have a friend who gets calls every half an inning or so updating him on the Yanks' score when he's not near a TV to watch the game himself.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:15 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
I can't imagine football being more popular anywhere than small towns in Texas. And let's not forget that even the Texas Longhorns had to come to Tennessee to get their football coach...

Football is also wildly popular here in Knoxville, home of the Tennessee Vols. During football season, Friday night news programs last 5 minutes with the remaining 25 minutes devoted to highlights of high school (yes, high school) football.

The previous poster who said Utah is wild about sports, I agree with that. Not only is basketball the sport of choice out there (most Mormon churches have basketball courts in them) but I think every Utahn is born with skis on their feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.