Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2009, 05:04 PM

43 posts, read 490,304 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking for a happy medium between the Lake Effect Snow in Northern N.Y and the unbearably hot summers of Western K.Y.

I spent the first 27yrs of my life in various parts of Northern N.Y and for the past 9yrs have resided in Central and Western Ky. My Husband is from Ky and lived in N.H for 3yrs. We've seen the best and worst of both places and now would like to find something in between the two extremes.

We'd like to be in or near mountains and any kind of clean recreational water...maybe even the ocean(doesn't matter which one).

We'd also like to be in a more progressive area. Up north the recreation of choice is anything containing alocohol...don't get me wrong...we like to have an occasional drink,but our lives don't revolve around it. Then we have the other end of the spectrum. Some places in Ky drinking is strictly taboo, and everything revolves aroung religion. Again...we have nothing against religion...but feel that it's a personal not public matter. We also like to expose our children to culture and diversity, good food,art,music,etc. All of those things are as important as the mountains and water we long to be next to.

Thanks in advance for any and all information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 05:09 PM

37,022 posts, read 39,094,778 times
Portland, Oregon. Actually, the Northwest in general. If you have the money and the ability to get good jobs lined up, the coastal areas of California are fantastic choices. Another option might be the Denver area. An option closer to home would be Pittsburgh.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:26 PM

2,514 posts, read 5,010,746 times
I also recommend Portland, or anywhere from Eugene up to Vancouver, BC. Mild wet winters, mild dry summers, mountains, water, food, art, music - all there. What isn't here right now is jobs. If you can find a job or bring one with you, you'll probably love this area. Do not move here assuming that you'll find a job when you get here - employers are getting hundreds of applicants for every job they post.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:20 PM

Thanks so much. We've been leaning towards the PNW especially Oregon...this lets us know that we're heading in the right direction.

My husband works for Lowe's...so we would transfer only if he had a definite job. Are there any small rural towns within 30 minutes of the bigger cities? We'd really like to have a couple acres of land and a bit of privacy. Or should we consider some smaller towns that may have a Lowe's?

Old 06-30-2009, 08:31 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,821,170 times
Asheville, NC perhaps?

Old 07-01-2009, 05:35 PM

2,514 posts, read 5,010,746 times
There are 13 Lowe's stores in Oregon. 4 of them are outside the Willamette Valley area and therefore have a different climate, both meteorologically and socially.

In the Portland area, the stores on the outskirts would be the McMinnville, Hillsboro and Wood Village stores. McMinnville is in Oregon's wine country, Hillsboro is near the urban growth boundary, and Wood Village is close to the Columbia Gorge. There are also two stores in the Salem area, in Salem and Keizer, and one in Eugene. Both of those cities are small enough that rural spaces are close by.

Good luck!

Old 07-01-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
There are 13 Lowe's stores in Oregon. 4 of them are outside the Willamette Valley area and therefore have a different climate, both meteorologically and socially.

In the Portland area, the stores on the outskirts would be the McMinnville, Hillsboro and Wood Village stores. McMinnville is in Oregon's wine country, Hillsboro is near the urban growth boundary, and Wood Village is close to the Columbia Gorge. There are also two stores in the Salem area, in Salem and Keizer, and one in Eugene. Both of those cities are small enough that rural spaces are close by.

Good luck!
Thanks for taking the time to look into the individual stores and break them down by areas for us. We'll definitely be researching all of them!

Old 07-01-2009, 10:08 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,859,427 times
I second the Pacific Northwest, and I second Colorado.

Where I am now, (Spokane, WA/Coeur d'Alene, ID area) sounds about right, except you'll have to give up on the culture/diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.