U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 07:35 PM

11 posts, read 32,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenoble_slopes View Post
You're probably best in Chicago. There is no magic city with all of these things. My only suggestion would be Philly.
Or if 1000-1800 a month for a one bedroom is cheap for you, how is cost of living a concern? I don't understand. On that budget you might as well move to NYC or SF.
I never said that was "cheap" for me. I said I could swing it, meaning that $1800 would be the very highest limit I am able and willing to spend. Sure, with that range, any apartment (even luxury apartments/condos) can be found nearly anywhere, but that is because of the real estate market. That doesn't mean everything else will be fairly reasonable as a whole, as well.

For instance, Chicago has one of the highest sales tax in the US. I would factor sales tax in as part of my cost of living, since I am a consumer. I'm talking necessity, not luxury.
According to the tax data I've already found, any place would be slightly to considerably better than Chicago, so I don't see how I'm looking for this "magical city"? I've already opened myself up to many more options just by deciding to leave in the first place!

With lower city/state tax, food tax, etc. I can comfortably live in a place that is within the range of what I stated.

Again, didn't mean to come off as being too particular. I am simply gathering as much info as I can on all concerns, using some brain-power and measuring everything up against each other....and if the end result means I will have to go with the lesser of a bunch of evils, then I'm fine with that. Just as long as its not Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 07:58 PM

18,627 posts, read 27,037,620 times
1000-1800? Then it's settled. Your best bet is probably Washington DC because that price range is certainly doable in this metro. Great transportation. Very cultural and there are areas that are 24 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or