Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 12:28 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I would say Seattle or San Francisco. Boston can get pretty insane winters...Philadelphia and NYC I would suggest simply because Philly gets very mild winters and NYC gets winters that can be cold and snowy, but nowhere close to the deep freeze and mounds of snow Chicago gets.
San Francisco, and definitely Seattle are not similar to Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 12:29 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I would say Seattle or San Francisco. Boston can get pretty insane winters...Philadelphia and NYC I would suggest simply because Philly gets very mild winters and NYC gets winters that can be cold and snowy, but nowhere close to the deep freeze and mounds of snow Chicago gets.
Oh right, San Francisco is well known for its low cost of living. Philly is probably the best combo of low COL, mild winters, and degree of urbanity.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:32 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
What she need to do is just stay in Chicago, because what she's looking for dosen't really exist.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:53 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
San Francisco, and definitely Seattle are not similar to Chicago.
As far as vibrant, quality downtowns go, SF is closer to Chicago than just about anywhere.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:26 PM

37,121 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Some decent bets are Portland (Oregon), Philadelphia, and maybe Atlanta and Baltimore. Seattle is expanding its mass transit system, so maybe it'll be a good fit.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:12 PM

11 posts, read 38,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Exactly, she's looking for something that doesn't exist. Especially when you throw in the part about being less expensive than Chicago. That's why she keeps coming back!
LOL, I guess you're right. I haven't been to that many other cities, so I don't have a good idea of places that even exist with what I asked about. That's why I asked here.

I keep coming back because this is the only city I really know. (Lived in Clearwater, FL and Mesa, AZ before. Not by choice, as I made those moves with family when I was younger) Don't get me wrong, I think Chicago is one of the GREATESTS, but what I'm looking to do is break from the holds of familiarity, turn a new leaf, yet still be in a place where I won't face so much culture shock and be left home-sick.

As for cost of living, my job requires me to be away from home at lengths of time. It won't be wise to pay what I'm paying now ($2200, now that my roomate skipped out on me) and not be there much to enjoy it.

Realistically, I can swing a 1 BR between $1000-$1800/mo. if everything is conveniently located or a short cab/train ride away. And, yes, it would be nice to be in a place with less sub-freezing temps, but I don't mind a little snow.

Thanks to all who have offered insight I truly appreciate it and will keep you posted on my visits/moves.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:23 PM

88 posts, read 420,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rena123 View Post
I guess what I'm looking for is a city that has a good amount of culture, 24 hr. access to restaurants/diners, grocery stores, and pharmacies, plentiful taxis/good public trans. (as I don't drive) and a place that doesn't have a ridiculously high cost of living. Also, any winter weather that is better than what we've been dealt the past few years!
Any suggestions?
You're probably best in Chicago. There is no magic city with all of these things. My only suggestion would be Philly.
Or if 1000-1800 a month for a one bedroom is cheap for you, how is cost of living a concern? I don't understand. On that budget you might as well move to NYC or SF.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:30 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,238,078 times
What's with the stupid myths that Chicago is sub zero the whole winter??
Those are as rare as Heat waves.
It only gets sub zero a handful of days, or in some years none.

Sheeesh
Just move to Chicago, millions of people live there perfectly fine.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:36 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rena123 View Post
LOL, I guess you're right. I haven't been to that many other cities, so I don't have a good idea of places that even exist with what I asked about. That's why I asked here.

I keep coming back because this is the only city I really know. (Lived in Clearwater, FL and Mesa, AZ before. Not by choice, as I made those moves with family when I was younger) Don't get me wrong, I think Chicago is one of the GREATESTS, but what I'm looking to do is break from the holds of familiarity, turn a new leaf, yet still be in a place where I won't face so much culture shock and be left home-sick.

As for cost of living, my job requires me to be away from home at lengths of time. It won't be wise to pay what I'm paying now ($2200, now that my roomate skipped out on me) and not be there much to enjoy it.

Realistically, I can swing a 1 BR between $1000-$1800/mo. if everything is conveniently located or a short cab/train ride away. And, yes, it would be nice to be in a place with less sub-freezing temps, but I don't mind a little snow.

Thanks to all who have offered insight I truly appreciate it and will keep you posted on my visits/moves.

You can get your own 1 bedroom apartment in a nice area of the outer boroughs of NYC with that price range.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:19 PM

37,121 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenoble_slopes View Post
You're probably best in Chicago. There is no magic city with all of these things. My only suggestion would be Philly.
Or if 1000-1800 a month for a one bedroom is cheap for you, how is cost of living a concern? I don't understand. On that budget you might as well move to NYC or SF.
She's probably used to a certain kind of living and wants something comparable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.