Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 10:42 PM

11 posts, read 38,125 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm new to the board.

I am looking into a move by next Spring to another urban or semi-urban area, anywhere in the US. I admit, I am too comfortable with familiarity, which is why I've been a life-long Chicago-dweller. Tried a couple of places in the past and wound up coming right back here to the Windy City. The next time I move, the only reason I should want to come back will be just to visit.

I guess what I'm looking for is a city that has a good amount of culture, 24 hr. access to restaurants/diners, grocery stores, and pharmacies, plentiful taxis/good public trans. (as I don't drive) and a place that doesn't have a ridiculously high cost of living. Also, any winter weather that is better than what we've been dealt the past few years!
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 10:51 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,846,135 times
Boston or Philadelphia might be good for you.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:16 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,331,850 times
Boston has winters similar to Chicago so you can rule that out. Philly at times can get pretty bitter as can Washington DC.

DC's cold weather does not hang around as long as Philly but it can get a bit cold sometimes but I think if you're looking for something similar w/o the crazy winters, Washington DC would be your best bet on the East Coast. St. Louis would be another one in the Midwest. Reminds me of a smaller version of Chicago. Of course, San Francisco on the West Coast.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:19 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,846,135 times
I don't think Boston's winters are as harsh as Chicago. Chicago gets lake effect snow.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:22 AM

11 posts, read 38,125 times
Thanks so much, Rachael and Spade.

Rachael, you're absolutely right, Boston is not as harsh in the winter as Chicago. Seems these past couple years our winters were even worse than parts of Minnesota, and colder than many cities north of us. I don't mind a little snow, but I can do without sub-zero temps that last for days at a time.

Spade, I happen to be visiting DC for the 1st time a the end of this month! Based on your description, it sounds like a place I could really like! I'll keep you posted on that.

I frequent NYC quite a bit and love everything about it. I love the close proximity to everything I need/want, taxis available in a blink of an eye, anytime. The only thing is cost of living is little on the high scale for me...just a little. I can never get enough of those NY accents though (especially the LI ones, since that's where my bf is from!)

Old 07-04-2009, 02:47 AM

763 posts, read 1,293,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I don't think Boston's winters are as harsh as Chicago. Chicago gets lake effect snow.
Chicago average snowfall is 38 inches, Boston average snowfall is 42 inches, Philly is about 22 inches.
The predominant wind in Chicago is from the Northwest in winter. Since Chicago is on the West side of the lake it does not see much lake effect like Upstate NY cities. Chicago does see most of its snow from storms that come across the country. I am not trying to argue, but it is a little different

That being said, maybe Houston or Atlanta? These cities have everything you wanted from your OP except somewhat limited pub trans. Maybe SF as well?

Last edited by EverestClimb; 07-04-2009 at 03:35 AM..

Old 07-04-2009, 05:36 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,053,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverestClimb View Post
Chicago average snowfall is 38 inches, Boston average snowfall is 42 inches, Philly is about 22 inches.
The predominant wind in Chicago is from the Northwest in winter. Since Chicago is on the West side of the lake it does not see much lake effect like Upstate NY cities. Chicago does see most of its snow from storms that come across the country. I am not trying to argue, but it is a little different

That being said, maybe Houston or Atlanta? These cities have everything you wanted from your OP except somewhat limited pub trans. Maybe SF as well?
Houston and Atlanta are more like the suburban version of Houston. Each offer lots of culture ,but not as urban and vibrant. If you want a city with good public transit, you can rule them both out, more so Houston.

ATL is compared many times to Chicago.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:55 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,042,579 times
I don't really think Boston, weather wise, is much of an improvement over Chicago, although it may be a bit warmer in the winter (I know people there). San Fran, NYC, and Washington DC all have better winters than Chicago, but are more expensive (probably because they have better winters than Chicago ).

If you really want to abandon winter, there are some southern cities you could probably consider, but then you'll have to drive if you want any sort of quality of life, and then, well, there are southern summers, which suck as much as northern winters.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:09 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,203,843 times
I'd say Philadelphia is your best bet.

Be forewarned that all the NE Corridor cities are susceptible to getting Nor'easters that dump massive amounts of snow (i.e. at least 12 inches of snow and as much as 24-30 inches of snow in a single storm). These kind of storms don't happen often (maybe every 5 years or so), but they'll put snowstorms that occur in Chicago to shame. Otherwise, the winters in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic, while cold, are more moderate than in the Midwest, especially from New York southward.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:12 AM

23,319 posts, read 43,781,735 times
I would suggest Nashville. Milder climate, a vibrant entertainment scene, and surprisingly urbane for a mid-sized city in the South. Check out downtown and the West End next time you're there...particularly the area around Vanderbilt University.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.