U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 10:54 AM

8,115 posts, read 17,337,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Im surprised Albuquerque made that list seeing how NM was once ranked the worst state to raise a child, has one of the highest populations of homeless children, NM is in the top 5 of the worst in education and poverty with an above average crime rate. NM also is 2nd in the nation in teen pregnancy rates.
I think a better way to do it (but it would be incredibly more expensive) would be to examine the data by zip code. Regarding ABQ, we both know that if you were to use the 87122 zip code, and La Cueva High School was the destination for your kids, you're going to be doing all right. In contrast, if you are stuck in 87102, life isn't going to be as enjoyable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 11:49 AM

56,705 posts, read 81,017,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
That's a great point - for us, playgrounds are important. That's why we moved to a neighborhood with easy playground access. Same thing with public transportation, and eventually, access to quality public schools. In every city I've ever lived in there have been some neighborhoods that would be great for us as a family, other neighborhoods that would be terrible. Looking at it city-by-city on a big level (graduation rates, etc.) provides some useful data for some purposes, but for individuals looking for a place to live these lists don't really do much good.
True, because you can still find something even in the "bad" places that could fit for your family. Heck, even Detroit has some nice neighborhoods(i.e.-Indian Village, Sherwood Forest and Palmer Woods) and even a couple of public High Schools that perform really well(Renaissance and Cass Tech).

Old 07-06-2009, 11:51 AM

13,238 posts, read 24,446,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Best places to raise a family:

13 Corona, California
Not the neighborhood I grew up in.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:06 PM

411 posts, read 1,052,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
To each his own. I don't want my kids getting caught up in the negative goings on in the suburbs.
Exactly. I don't think there's necessarily any more negative going ons in good city neighborhoods than there are in the suburbs.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
Exactly. I don't think there's necessarily any more negative going ons in good city neighborhoods than there are in the suburbs.
Or even "nice" suburban neighborhoods. Like I tell people, some inner city neighborhoods might have to deal with drugs and shootings and some suburbs have to deal with drugs and drivers under influence. So, every community has it's cross to bear in terms of influences and crime.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:49 PM

6 posts, read 37,286 times
I'll put Chicago next to Detroit as worst places in Midwest to raise black children.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:05 PM

57 posts, read 175,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
You can put your kids in private schools in major cities, I think there's more kids in private schools throughout NYC than they have in the public schools... It's just to keep your kids from harms way so they can get the proper education and be around the kids who are receiving the same education. At the same time they don't have to be in a boring far away suburb, but be in a major city with stuff to do so that a persons childhood isn't a suburban bore.

You can level it out either way, i would just prefer the major city lifestyle over the suburb lifestyle as a child growing up.

I guess it all depends on how fat your wallet is.
Why is suburban life boring? I grew up in one and it was far from boring and we were only a 15 minute drive from the city anyway.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:45 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,982,118 times
Just goofing around with city-data stats for a place that might "look bad" to raise a kid.

Maybe Pontiac, Michigan? It seems to have high rates of violent crime and divorced people in a county with high alcohol use.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Pontiac-Michigan.html

Old 08-04-2009, 05:21 AM

32,108 posts, read 33,017,270 times
I remember hearing on TV (& also saw on a news website) that Mission Viejo, CA. was the best place in the USA to raise a family. My brother & family live there and I have visited. So I know its a good place.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Just goofing around with city-data stats for a place that might "look bad" to raise a kid.

Maybe Pontiac, Michigan? It seems to have high rates of violent crime and divorced people in a county with high alcohol use.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Pontiac-Michigan.html

Actually, it's in Oakland County, which is probably the best county to live in for the Detroit Metro and has some very, affluent areas close to Pontiac like Bloomfield Hills, Birmingham and west Bloomfield, among others. There aren't too many legitimately "bad" areas in that county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or