Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 11:21 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Their map of the Omaha Metro for some odd reason excludes 2 of the Iowa counties that are also apart of it.
True, but the Census actually includes three Iowa counties as part of the Omaha, NE metro. I really think that only Pottawatomie County should be included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 11:59 AM

88 posts, read 420,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Their map of the Omaha Metro for some odd reason excludes 2 of the Iowa counties that are also apart of it.
Maybe they weren't part of the metro in 1980? Just a guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
But there's also a reason why it's a cheaper cost of living.
Indeed. Better, more efficient infrastructure. More efficient government, lower taxes, better conditions for business development and thus job creation. More freedom for property owners and for people to live where they want to live (saner zoning laws). These things bring costs down ... cheaper doesn't necessarily mean worse quality.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:01 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,924,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenoble_slopes View Post

Indeed. Better, more efficient infrastructure. More efficient government, lower taxes, better conditions for business development and thus job creation. More freedom for property owners and for people to live where they want to live (saner zoning laws). These things bring costs down ... cheaper doesn't necessarily mean worse quality.
Ask on the NYC forum where NYers moved down south because they saw more house for the price. Most of them say there's a reason why it's cheaper, and they aren't good reasons.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:04 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,943,200 times
It reminds me a lot of the urban equivalent of slash-and-burn farming.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:47 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,684,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenoble_slopes View Post

They weren't, but what confused me was that they included a county that also wasn't apart of the metro until the other 2 Iowa counties joined.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:00 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,893,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
True, but the Census actually includes three Iowa counties as part of the Omaha, NE metro. I really think that only Pottawatomie County should be included.
Going by their standards for MSA's, they should count. The same can be said for every metro in the US. Each has some fairly rural areas accounted for.

I think it's somewhat hokie for how they determine metro's, but there must not be a feasable alternative I guess.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:15 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That-Guy View Post
Going by their standards for MSA's, they should count. The same can be said for every metro in the US. Each has some fairly rural areas accounted for.

I think it's somewhat hokie for how they determine metro's, but there must not be a feasable alternative I guess.
I think the Census MSA determination is overly dependent on commuting patterns of some residents who happen to live on the exurban fringe of metros. Two counties in Iowa are included in the Omaha MSA that have little growth and densities of under 50 people per square mile. The same can also be said of KC as well (Linn County KS, Caldwell County MO, Lafayette County MO,).

Old 07-05-2009, 04:31 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,893,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I think the Census MSA determination is overly dependent on commuting patterns of some residents who happen to live on the exurban fringe of metros. Two counties in Iowa are included in the Omaha MSA that have little growth and densities of under 50 people per square mile. The same can also be said of KC as well (Linn County KS, Caldwell County MO, Lafayette County MO,).
Very true. I do happen to know a very large portion of Mills county in Iowa commute to Omaha and Council Bluffs for work.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:48 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,230,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
It reminds me a lot of the urban equivalent of slash-and-burn farming.
Yeah, the Atlanta metro is particularly vomit-worthy.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:38 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,021 times
My question would be, does this map reflect the foreclosure crisis? It appears the data was from 2008. Not sure it is a good indication of where things stand today. On one hand, areas like the Inland Empire of CA, Vegas, and Phoenix show explosive growth. On the other hand, they are hurting big-time. On the mythical third hand, perhaps these areas will grow again due to cheaper prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.