Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 03:17 PM

13 posts, read 16,149 times

Advertisements

- We want a vibrant, clean city with lots of arts and culture. We love ballet and a great arts scene.
- We are looking for great suburbs. Great for families. Great homes. Great parks.
-We are a young couple so affordability is important. My career field is lucrative, but we're just starting out.
- We really need a family-friendly city. The whole "urban swinger" mindset is what we're trying to avoid. We are not a couple looking for a city with great night life.
- I love the outdoors and love hiking. We needs lots of parks and greenspaces.
- We are Trader Joe's-eating and Ikea-shopping yuppies. We need a healthy, organic-y kind of town.
- We are also a very conservative couple. We want one of those scary "I-voted-for-Bush-and-homeschool-my-kids" kind of families.
- We value education (she's a teacher). We want a well-educated city without the usual snobbery of super-smart cities like Boston and San Francisco.
- We love charming, older neighborhoods with cool cafes and bistros.
- Good economy. Economy vibrancy is a big deal.
- We like cool, crisp weather--but not miserably cold. We really don't like long, muggy summers.
- We love beautiful, tree-filled cities with pretty autumns.

It's a lot to ask, but is there anything that would meet most of these criteria? Which city would be the best fit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 03:33 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,144 times
Maybe the Denver or Boulder areas? They are more liberal, but everything else seems about right.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:50 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMover View Post
- We want a vibrant, clean city with lots of arts and culture. We love ballet and a great arts scene.
- We are looking for great suburbs. Great for families. Great homes. Great parks.
-We are a young couple so affordability is important. My career field is lucrative, but we're just starting out.
- We really need a family-friendly city. The whole "urban swinger" mindset is what we're trying to avoid. We are not a couple looking for a city with great night life.
- I love the outdoors and love hiking. We needs lots of parks and greenspaces.
- We are Trader Joe's-eating and Ikea-shopping yuppies. We need a healthy, organic-y kind of town.
- We are also a very conservative couple. We want one of those scary "I-voted-for-Bush-and-homeschool-my-kids" kind of families.
- We value education (she's a teacher). We want a well-educated city without the usual snobbery of super-smart cities like Boston and San Francisco.
- We love charming, older neighborhoods with cool cafes and bistros.
- Good economy. Economy vibrancy is a big deal.
- We like cool, crisp weather--but not miserably cold. We really don't like long, muggy summers.
- We love beautiful, tree-filled cities with pretty autumns.

It's a lot to ask, but is there anything that would meet most of these criteria? Which city would be the best fit?
Check out Salt Lake City. It's one of the least-heralded cities in the country, yet it is a beautiful, highly educated city with one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country. Don't let the Mormon thing scare you, either, as only about half of SLC is Mormon these days. But as you can imagine it keeps Utah politics extremely conservative (minus a few hip SLC neighborhoods).

And SLC has an IKEA.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:27 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,986,647 times
Oh my gosh... seriously.. It met mostly everything about... Albuquerque!

Old 06-29-2009, 07:58 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times
Consider Spokane...the economy is a little gimpy right now, but better than a lot of places!

Old 06-29-2009, 08:39 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
Consider Denver.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:56 PM

278 posts, read 1,001,677 times
Never been there but Portland seems like it might fit the bill for you.. Let us know what you think, We have similar interests

Old 06-29-2009, 09:16 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
The "West Shore" suburbs of Harrisburg, PA might be worth considering - Mechanicsburg and Carlisle area. Better economy than most places (someone posted here within the past week about ranking in the top 20 of the 100 largest metros), no one will look at you funny for homeschooling or Bush voting, but there also are a couple of highly rated public school districts. Politically conservative (home to the US Army War College and plenty of retired colonels). Near the Appalachian Trail's midpoint, see Cumberland Valley Appalachian Trail Club - Home . Shops/cafes in historic areas such as What's Up Downtown (http://www.downtowncarlisle.com/WhatsUpDowntown/tabid/71/Default.aspx - broken link) and Mechanicsburg Chamber of Commerce (http://www.mechanicsburgchamber.org/index.shtml - broken link) You will have to trade Trader Joe's for Locator Detail | Wegmans - Wegmans Harrisburg but you might not look back. IKEA is two hours away in Baltimore area, but really how often does one need to go there...

Old 06-29-2009, 10:54 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Colorado Springs. I think that's the place with your peeps.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:34 AM

13 posts, read 16,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needing more View Post
Never been there but Portland seems like it might fit the bill for you.. Let us know what you think, We have similar interests
I've spent a lot of time in Portland and it is not really what we're looking for. It's far too liberal for us and though there is some culture, it's still a little provincial. It's a beautiful area but we're just not Pacific Northwest kind of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.