U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Rust Belt City has the Most Potential to Make a Comeback?
Akron, OH 7 5.69%
Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton, PA 6 4.88%
Altoona/Johnstown, PA 0 0%
Binghamton/Elmira, NY 3 2.44%
Buffalo, NY 7 5.69%
Camden, NJ 0 0%
Canton, OH 2 1.63%
Cincinnati, OH 16 13.01%
Cleveland, OH 22 17.89%
Dayton, OH 2 1.63%
Detroit, MI 15 12.20%
Erie, PA 5 4.07%
Harrisburg, PA 2 1.63%
Huntington, WV/Ashland, KY 2 1.63%
Janesville/Beloit, WI 0 0%
Newark/Paterson, NJ 4 3.25%
Philadelphia, PA 29 23.58%
Pittsburgh, PA 44 35.77%
Racine/Kenosha, WI 3 2.44%
Reading, PA 0 0%
Rochester, NY 5 4.07%
Rockford, IL 3 2.44%
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA 9 7.32%
Syracuse, NY 5 4.07%
Toledo, OH 2 1.63%
Trenton, NJ 3 2.44%
Wilmington, DE 5 4.07%
Youngstown/Warren, OH 2 1.63%
York, PA 2 1.63%
Other (Please Specify Below in a Reply) 5 4.07%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 10:00 AM

2,236 posts, read 5,369,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I've already acknowledged that I had mistakenly included Philadelphia in this poll due to its proximity to other "Rust Belt" qualifiers like Camden, Wilmington, and Allentown. This is a very old thread that someone dug up in order to bash Detroit. Please keep that in mind.
This is really the biggest problem facing the rust belt. A logical, point by point analysis of a cities challenges is not bashing it. Detroit has a lot of beautiful architecture, great cultural institutions, and nice festivals, but that just doesn't automatically produce a vibrant, healthy city. There are two prevailing attitudes I see in rust belt city discussions. Either people point out a few condo developments and festivals and they say everything is fine, the city will bounce back in no time, or they keep pining for the good old days and hoping for a resurgence of manufacturing. Neither attitude is realistic, and will only allow allow these beautiful old cities to keep slipping further behind not just U.S. cities in the sunbelt, but dynamic cities across the globe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 02:35 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,346,516 times
Even though not technically in the Rust Belt, St. Louis certainly has the characteristics of a Rust Belt city and I vote for it.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:32 PM

1,680 posts, read 3,188,606 times
I voted for Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Newark.

Cleveland is starting to turnaround due to the medical industry there plus there is some gentrification occuring in some of the inner city neighborhoods.
Pittsburgh has diversified it's economy.
Philadelphia as well as Newark have rebounded due their close proximity to NYC and to the many New Yorkers relocating for the lower cost of living and real estate.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:51 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,915,658 times
St. Louis needs to be included if you are going to include Cincinnati, and so does Kansas City. St. Louis I think has done a great job of rebuilding from its rustbelting reputation. It has gone from a major manufacturing center of grain, steel, cars, and clothes, belts, and shoes, and other major cloth and rubber products to an important financial and medical center.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:16 AM

60 posts, read 153,446 times
Pittsburgh!

Old 09-05-2010, 02:03 AM

75 posts, read 153,113 times
Katiana,

"Pittsburgh has been talking comeback so long, I'll beleive it when I say it"

Uhhh...it's been voted the most livable city in the country by Forbes, The Economist, and Places Rates all within the last 3 years...i'd consider "seeing it". It's not "coming back" anymore. It's there.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:07 AM

13,227 posts, read 17,988,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citypoot View Post
Katiana,

"Pittsburgh has been talking comeback so long, I'll beleive it when I say it"

Uhhh...it's been voted the most livable city in the country by Forbes, The Economist, and Places Rates all within the last 3 years...i'd consider "seeing it". It's not "coming back" anymore. It's there.
No, Pittsburgh is not "there" until morons from other regions of the country think of things other than Ben Roethlisberger or Flashdance when they hear the name of the city.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:41 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,607,420 times
Citypoot: you said it best for Pittsburgh-we're already there with making our comeback. Most of these cities, just like Pittsburgh, will NEVER regain the population numbers they once had though. Cleveland also has completed much of it's revitalization and has a fantastic and vibrant downtown.Other Ohio cities Cincy and Toledo are active also.

I didn't vote b/c I decided a tie between Detroit and Buffalo. Both cities have potential, Detroit with great infrastructure and Buffalo has great naturally beautiful surroundings. Again, they will never get their populations back up to what they once were.

East Coast corridor Philly has already made it's comeback and , IMO, doing fine. New Jersey always has the potential, willingness and great leadership to solve it's problems in it's cities by instituting laws to improve quality of life along with effective crime reduction programs.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:04 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,797,976 times
Cleveland is poised to command another bright future, as the next renaissance has already begun an
evolution within the city.
I'm a native Clevelander, I've seen this cycle before. With each period of renewal, Cleveland begins
to shed some of it's negative components, and emerges an even more appealing metropolis.
It's difficult to deny that this city retains an incredible wealth of cultural endowments, a solid infrastructure and a beautiful physical environment.

Cleveland IS emerging again, continue the experience ... you're going to be pleasantly
surprised!

Old 09-05-2010, 11:06 AM

686 posts, read 1,517,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I have to say I think that Scranton/Wilkes-Barre has the best chance because of its close proximity to New York City. I havent been there but it just seems like the only area in close proximity to the east coast that is not overpriced. The pictures from Scranton/Wikes-Barre and the topography are just incredible also!

I do think Pittsburgh has incredible potential also. I was there about 4 years ago for a couple of days and it was a great city. Lots of great architecture, very appealing and dense urban neighborhoods with tons of character, great topography, great infrastructure.

scranton isn't that close to NYC, it's about 2.5 hours away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or