U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you most want to live?
Atlanta 6 4.65%
Charlotte 14 10.85%
Raleigh 8 6.20%
Washington, DC 7 5.43%
Nashville 5 3.88%
Charleston, SC 12 9.30%
Denver 18 13.95%
Austin 14 10.85%
Las Vegas 7 5.43%
San Diego 29 22.48%
Tampa Bay 9 6.98%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 07:00 AM

15,564 posts, read 36,552,323 times

Advertisements

Where is Palm Desert??? Being a California gal, I had to pick San Diego, even though I would never move there because it is too crowded for a bird like me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 07:08 AM

70 posts, read 296,464 times
Just in case this list seems random:

My main point for the poll was to gauge the popularity of the 10 or so places I've narrowed down starting my career in. I'm 26, single, soon to be attorney, and love (1) the outdoors (2) politics (3) the southern lifestyle (but certain cities, like San Diego, could convince me to leave. DC would definitely be the best for my career, NC for family, and anywhere else is just because these seem to be the best overall cities in the South and the West.

Any opinions on which would be best for my situation?

Old 04-18-2007, 07:50 AM

331 posts, read 1,483,089 times
Yikes I would not want to live in any of these places, possibly excepting Denver. And yes, I have been to most of them (8 out of 11).

If you meant to add "if money were not a factor" to your question, I guess San Diego would be OK too.

In your particular situation (age, liking the South, being a lawyer and all), I 'd probably go for Austin, Atlanta or maybe Charlotte.

By way of comparison, where did you grow up and where do you live now?

Old 04-18-2007, 10:58 AM

653 posts, read 3,132,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviodante View Post
Just in case this list seems random:

My main point for the poll was to gauge the popularity of the 10 or so places I've narrowed down starting my career in. I'm 26, single, soon to be attorney, and love (1) the outdoors (2) politics (3) the southern lifestyle (but certain cities, like San Diego, could convince me to leave. DC would definitely be the best for my career, NC for family, and anywhere else is just because these seem to be the best overall cities in the South and the West.

Any opinions on which would be best for my situation?
I would suggest you check more into AUSTIN, TEXAS. I think it would be a good "Fit" for you.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:14 AM

Thanks for your suggestion. Austin does sound amazing. My only problem with it is its isolation-- almost 1000 miles from everyone I know (mainly East Coast, some California) and its vast distance from good beaches, national parks, and other cities that one would want to visit as a tourist.

Plus, I'm concerned that the University of Texas law graduates will take all the already few law jobs (be a different story if I was in tech). Also, they will all have their friends already.

I've asked this on the board before, but does Austin really offer that much more than a place like Raleigh, Charlotte, or Atlanta? (The only live music I'm into is country, definitely not indie-rock)

Old 04-18-2007, 11:16 AM

52 posts, read 112,889 times
After I graduate from college next year I plan to go to either Nashville TN or Atlanta Georgia. Been to both places and I am impressed with both cities. They both got alot to offer.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:18 AM

3,359 posts, read 10,909,466 times
If I were a newbie lawyer I'd pick DC and move on from there later if you want. The creds you can pick up by working at a govt or allied job could give you a foot up in a subsequent career.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
If I were a newbie lawyer I'd pick DC and move on from there later if you want. The creds you can pick up by working at a govt or allied job could give you a foot up in a subsequent career.
Very helpful advice Sgoldie. It's probably what I'll end up doing. I just wish DC wasn't the place that reminded me most of cities I hated living in (New York, Boston). Despite growing up there, there's not a lot I like about the Northeast. DC, however, seems like a real cool city-- just hoping its more like Raleigh than Boston.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:33 AM

3,359 posts, read 10,909,466 times
My cousin's son recently moved into the top govt affairs position at one of the biggest companies in the country after just a few short years in DC, and he didn't have a law degree. He started out right out of college at a think tank and moved on to an aide position to get there.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:38 AM

2,408 posts, read 13,360,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
I second this. I would recommend going to DC due to career benefits. If you receive a stellar job opportunity in one of the other cities that piques your interest more than DC, I'd say to take that, but if starting from scratch, DC is probably the best place to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or