U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you most want to live?
Atlanta 6 4.65%
Charlotte 14 10.85%
Raleigh 8 6.20%
Washington, DC 7 5.43%
Nashville 5 3.88%
Charleston, SC 12 9.30%
Denver 18 13.95%
Austin 14 10.85%
Las Vegas 7 5.43%
San Diego 29 22.48%
Tampa Bay 9 6.98%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2007, 02:32 PM

7,968 posts, read 18,094,647 times

Advertisements

I picked San Diego... but that was assuming that I would have a trust fund to live off of. I'm not a cold-weather person at all and I would relish the opportunity to bask in the monotony of 60-degree lows and 80-degree highs.

More realistically I would choose Austin. I like the idea of a progressive mindset, lower cost of living and roughly equidistant commute to either of the coastal areas I would want to visit. And I'd gladly trade six months of 90-100* temps for zero months of freezing temperatures!

As it is, I will probably be living in the DC metro for the next decade or so. It's better for me in a lot of ways than my hometown of Philly... but I wouldn't mind a less congested and/or warmer climate.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 02:37 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,772,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviodante View Post
Just in case this list seems random:

My main point for the poll was to gauge the popularity of the 10 or so places I've narrowed down starting my career in. I'm 26, single, soon to be attorney, and love (1) the outdoors (2) politics (3) the southern lifestyle (but certain cities, like San Diego, could convince me to leave. DC would definitely be the best for my career, NC for family, and anywhere else is just because these seem to be the best overall cities in the South and the West.

Any opinions on which would be best for my situation?
From what you describe, I would suggest Atlanta from the list.

Are these the only cities you had to choose from, or are they the only ones you've heard about?

Old 04-18-2007, 03:14 PM

70 posts, read 296,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
From what you describe, I would suggest Atlanta from the list.

Are these the only cities you had to choose from, or are they the only ones you've heard about?

These aren't the only cities I have to choose from, of course, but after a very exhaustive process of elimination, they've been the ones I've ended up with. If you have any other suggestions, I'd be happy to hear, but I probably have a reason for already eliminating it. While I am a country boy at heart, because of career/things to do/meeting other people, I need a city of enough size where, for example, the city doesn't need to be followed by its state name when saying it.

The entire Mid-West is out of the picture. If I was going to put up with the cold, I'd just go back home to New England. Doesn't have any mountains or ocean- two semi-necessities.

The Northeast is pretty much out of the question as well. If I'm going to put up with bad weather, elitist/rude people, and high cost of living, I might as well be in DC and have the best career prospects.

I also don't really like the Pacific Northwest- too rainy and the people there are not of my persuasion.

Finally, a lot of the interior South (KY, WV, AR, MS, AL, LA, OK) are too rural for any hope of a thriving legal career. In the West, UT, NM, MT, WY, and ID are also too rural for me to pursue any sort of career. Maybe in 30 years.

This leaves me with: California, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida. Pretty much all the fastest growing states as well.

As for major cities from these states not on my poll: San Francisco is way to expensive and liberal for me, Los Angeles is so chaotic (why choose it over San Diego seeing as I'm not an aspiring actor).

I can't see how Phoenix is more exciting/better career-wise than San Diego or Vegas.

Dallas and Houston just aren't my style-- all the disadvantages of Austin (too far from mountains, beaches, family) without being especially cool or young-oriented. Might as well be in Atlanta over these two cities.

Finally, for all the bad things I've heard about Florida, I still have a fondness for it (childhood memories) but it seems like Tampa is about 20 years behind Miami as far as declining quality of life, plus I love Latin culture and Spanish, but I don't like to be dominated by it.

So, this has been my logic thus far, if anyone can think of any places... and thanks for all the helpful replies thus far.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
These aren't the only cities I have to choose from, of course, but after a very exhaustive process of elimination, they've been the ones I've ended up with. If you have any other suggestions, I'd be happy to hear, but I probably have a reason for already eliminating it. While I am a country boy at heart, because of career/things to do/meeting other people, I need a city of enough size where, for example, the city doesn't need to be followed by its state name when saying it.

The entire Mid-West is out of the picture. If I was going to put up with the cold, I'd just go back home to New England. Doesn't have any mountains or ocean- two semi-necessities.

The Northeast is pretty much out of the question as well. If I'm going to put up with bad weather, elitist/rude people, and high cost of living, I might as well be in DC and have the best career prospects.

I also don't really like the Pacific Northwest- too rainy and the people there are not of my persuasion.

Finally, a lot of the interior South (KY, WV, AR, MS, AL, LA, OK) are too rural for any hope of a thriving legal career. In the West, UT, NM, MT, WY, and ID are also too rural for me to pursue any sort of career. Maybe in 30 years.

This leaves me with: California, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida. Pretty much all the fastest growing states as well.

As for major cities from these states not on my poll: San Francisco is way to expensive and liberal for me, Los Angeles is so chaotic (why choose it over San Diego seeing as I'm not an aspiring actor).

I can't see how Phoenix is more exciting/better career-wise than San Diego or Vegas.

Dallas and Houston just aren't my style-- all the disadvantages of Austin (too far from mountains, beaches, family) without being especially cool or young-oriented. Might as well be in Atlanta over these two cities.

Finally, for all the bad things I've heard about Florida, I still have a fondness for it (childhood memories) but it seems like Tampa is about 20 years behind Miami as far as declining quality of life, plus I love Latin culture and Spanish, but I don't like to be dominated by it.

So, this has been my logic thus far, if anyone can think of any places... and thanks for all the helpful replies thus far.
Well it's weird because I was going to recommend Houston or Dallas. Houston is right by the beach, by the way, and I just figured if you were looking for a great business place, well, it just doesn't get better than Houston in the south. Then again, you said you didn't want chaos, and Houston is very fast-paced and chaotic. You mention Atlanta, and Houston and Dallas not being your style, but Houston is actually pretty similar to Atlanta besides the fact that Hou is much much larger and urban.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Well it's weird because I was going to recommend Houston or Dallas. Houston is right by the beach, by the way, and I just figured if you were looking for a great business place, well, it just doesn't get better than Houston in the south. Then again, you said you didn't want chaos, and Houston is very fast-paced and chaotic. You mention Atlanta, and Houston and Dallas not being your style, but Houston is actually pretty similar to Atlanta besides the fact that Hou is much much larger and urban.
No I do like Atlanta. However, Houston just doesn't rub me the right way. I've heard it described as "third-world" looking and not very attractive. Plus, with most of my beach experience in Florida, I am somewhat a beach-elitist and when I say "beach" I mean pretty much only the East Coast from NC down, the Florida gulf, and maybe southern Cali (kind of cold to swim in). I've heard the beaches by Houston are kind of brown and have oil rigs along them (?). Plus, if I'm moving somewhere purely for business/cost of living/weather, Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston seem all the same, so I might as well stay close to family.

But thanks for your suggestion!!

Old 04-18-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
No I do like Atlanta. However, Houston just doesn't rub me the right way. I've heard it described as "third-world" looking and not very attractive. Plus, with most of my beach experience in Florida, I am somewhat a beach-elitist and when I say "beach" I mean pretty much only the East Coast from NC down, the Florida gulf, and maybe southern Cali (kind of cold to swim in). I've heard the beaches by Houston are kind of brown and have oil rigs along them (?). Plus, if I'm moving somewhere purely for business/cost of living/weather, Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston seem all the same, so I might as well stay close to family.

But thanks for your suggestion!!
I have to agree with you about the beaches lol. You make a good point. Now, if whoever you talked to meant "third-world" as ghetto in a lot of parts, they were right; however, I wouldn't say that statement did the city any justice. Plus, in many people's opinions, the city is gorgeous. In fact, its suburb of Sugar Land was ranked as the third best place to live in the entire country. Just something to keep in mind.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I have to agree with you about the beaches lol. You make a good point. Now, if whoever you talked to meant "third-world" as ghetto in a lot of parts, they were right; however, I wouldn't say that statement did the city any justice. Plus, in many people's opinions, the city is gorgeous. In fact, its suburb of Sugar Land was ranked as the third best place to live in the entire country. Just something to keep in mind.
Yeah, I found that "third-world" comment a little skeptical. I've heard the same said about certain areas of North Carolina and Georgia. What the people really meant was "there are a lot of minorities there" without any consideration for how well-educated, middle-class, etc. those people might be. In many cases, the areas were very nice and completely safe, just not all homogeneously white.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I found that "third-world" comment a little skeptical. I've heard the same said about certain areas of North Carolina and Georgia. What the people really meant was "there are a lot of minorities there" without any consideration for how well-educated, middle-class, etc. those people might be. In many cases, the areas were very nice and completely safe, just not all homogeneously white.
So true, but I've always respected others' opinions. People can't help what they don't like .

Old 04-19-2007, 04:30 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,386,284 times
Charlotte. Great 4-season climate, strong economy, affordable, people of differing viewpoits get along, clean/green, friendly people.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:26 PM

I'm surprised so far that Charlotte has 5 votes and Raleigh only has 1. Also, when I say "where would you most want to live?" I mean in the real world, with your current financial situation. I think if we were all millionaires San Diego would get almost all the votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or