Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 09:28 PM

266 posts, read 908,060 times

Advertisements

I have seen some lists for cities that are best for biking and have always wondered why Hilton Head Island is not on there. Perhaps it is not considered enough of a "city." But it is the best place I've been to for biking. It has miles and miles of trails devoted just to bikes and walkers; you can bike to just about anywhere on the island and, for most of the time, don't have to be on a road. AND it's really flat, so you can go for miles and not get tired.

I vastly prefer these dedicated off-road trails, like Hilton Head has, to the bike lanes on roads. Does anyone know any other community that has bike TRAILS that are PRACTICAL for getting around to work, shopping and entertainment? I think it would be great to someday live somewhere where I could cut down on my car usage and do some of my errands by bike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 09:43 AM

361 posts, read 1,089,108 times
Albuquerque has some pretty amazing bike trails all over the city.

Also, Austin is really good too.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:37 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,056,742 times
Davis, California would have to be the most bike-friendly place in the country, in my opinion. A lot of California cities could be in consideration based on the fact that many of the roads and infrastructures are new, and new enough that they have in many cases been fitted for bike lanes. Davis, though, is just a completely different story - on some days, bikes outnumber the cars driving through town. Davis, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Their logo is also a bicycle!

Old 07-04-2009, 12:14 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,343,189 times
Boise has been named on occasion the best city for biking, commuter biking, and mountain biking. The city has over 150 miles of trails including the Boise River Greenbelt and then there are endless single track miles in the mountains and woods outside of the city. The bike culture in Boise is huge and I mean really huge, you have to have a bike here to fit in.

According to the Census Bureau, Boise ranks fourth in the country for bicycle commuters, Per capita

Old 07-04-2009, 12:20 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,326,002 times
Among major cities, the ones I think are best for biking include:

Denver: has an excellent funding mechanism to expand their trail system throughout the metro. Cherry Creek trail provides good access to downtown
Minneapolis: has a long established system of trails around the city lakes, creeks and the Mississippi River, plus the Midtown Greenway (a former RR corridor) extends excellent biking through the heart of South Mpls. Plus the metro area also has an extensive series of trails (both recreational and commuter)
Portland: I don't have much familiarity with their system, but everything I hear is positive

Old 07-04-2009, 12:33 PM

588 posts, read 2,821,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
Portland: I don't have much familiarity with their system, but everything I hear is positive

I was gonna have to put the smack down if someone didn't mention Portland soon. From the travelportland.com website:

• Portland has the nation's highest percentage of bicycle commuters, 3.5 percent — about eight times the national average (U.S. Census Bureau's American Community Survey, July 2007). The 2000 U.S. Census found that more than 5,000 Portlanders commute to work by bicycle.
  • Portland boasts 272 miles of developed bikeways: 171 miles of lanes, 71 miles of off-street paths and 30 miles of shared bicycle boulevards.
  • Portland is one of the only two cities – and the largest – to currently hold a Platinum level Bicycle Friendly Community designation (League of American Bicyclists, May 2008)

Old 07-04-2009, 01:49 PM

36,625 posts, read 67,123,456 times
I was in Vietnam a few days ago and this is my most recent memory of two-wheel commuting.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:25 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,846,116 times
Portland, Seattle. Ohio has a ridiculous amount of bike trails, as well, but I'm not sure if you could go car-less.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:13 PM

88 posts, read 419,135 times
Manhattan has the riverside bike trails, and Central Park, which are quite practical. But the rest of the city doesn't have very practical trails... mostly for leisure riding.
Chicago as well has a riverside path, which is quite practical if you live near the coast.
Personally I prefer streets, with a grid and one way streets. Old cities in the northeast and midwest are great for this (and probably old western cities too? Portland, Seattle, LA?), because you have many options for a route that are fairly direct, without having to ride on fast busy main roads. Newer and suburban type areas tend to have strict street hierarchy, which is a real pain for bicycling... you're relegated to the sidewalks (if there are any), or else risking your life on a busy 50mph main road, or weaving through endless twisting residential subdivisions.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:47 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,978,876 times
Montclair, that is some video. The most amazing part is I watched most of it and didn't see a single accident, even with all that traffic. I hearby nominate the Vietnamese as the best bike/motorcycle riders in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.