Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 04:29 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Maryland defintely is the best state for African Americans.
I somewhat have to counter this. Maryland (along with Atlanta and DC) are some of the best places for blacks...who either want to self-segregate themselves or want to live off of welfare. For the truly middle class black person and the young person who isn't a self-separatist, it could be pretty damn horrible, dealing with the covert racist non-blacks one on end and bitter lower-class and self-separatist blacks on the other end! I'd much rather take a racially homogeneous and libertarian-conservative place like Colorado, Oregon, Washington state, Minnesota, or even the metropolitan areas of Texas than Maryland. I have to agree with chkthankgod on cities that are underrated yet in reality consists of blacks who have the best standard of living conditions, even better than those who live in predominant black cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 04:25 AM

428 posts, read 831,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I somewhat have to counter this. Maryland (along with Atlanta and DC) are some of the best places for blacks...who either want to self-segregate themselves or want to live off of welfare. For the truly middle class black person and the young person who isn't a self-separatist, it could be pretty damn horrible, dealing with the covert racist non-blacks one on end and bitter lower-class and self-separatist blacks on the other end! I'd much rather take a racially homogeneous and libertarian-conservative place like Colorado, Oregon, Washington state, Minnesota, or even the metropolitan areas of Texas than Maryland. I have to agree with chkthankgod on cities that are underrated yet in reality consists of blacks who have the best standard of living conditions, even better than those who live in predominant black cities.
This post is so illogical it goes on to even contradict itself. "Truly middle class" what an odd statement and also based upon odd fallacies. Colorado a libertarian state? What?
Anyway when one relies on facts Maryland indeed is among the best place for African Americans in America. The statistics on income, and education prove this.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:34 PM

91 posts, read 119,757 times
I have lived in or visited all of these cities. There good and bad people of various races in all of them. I don't see the point of this entire thread " back and forth" as of the cities were in competition. How is it helpful to anyone? Please show me the point. Thanks

Old 06-15-2010, 05:22 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierpont View Post
This post is so illogical it goes on to even contradict itself. "Truly middle class" what an odd statement and also based upon odd fallacies. Colorado a libertarian state? What?
Anyway when one relies on facts Maryland indeed is among the best place for African Americans in America. The statistics on income, and education prove this.
Maryland's income facts may be inflated due to proximity to Washington DC and federal government jobs which pay higher due to higher cost of living. As someone who lived just across the bridge in Northern VA, a number of blacks do pretty good but that ain't the end of the story. There are still a majority of blacks who are not making that much money and a number not making money at all. Prince George's County is the poster boy for this.

Oh, I'm black BTW.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:40 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,401,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Maryland's income facts may be inflated due to proximity to Washington DC and federal government jobs which pay higher due to higher cost of living. As someone who lived just across the bridge in Northern VA, a number of blacks do pretty good but that ain't the end of the story. There are still a majority of blacks who are not making that much money and a number not making money at all. Prince George's County is the poster boy for this.

Oh, I'm black BTW.
Are you hating on Maryland because Virginia does not have a Large Population of Middle Class Blacks like Prince Georges County, Maryland????

Old 06-16-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Are you hating on Maryland because Virginia does not have a Large Population of Middle Class Blacks like Prince Georges County, Maryland????
Virginia also does not have a Large Population of Lower Class Blacks like Prince Georges County, Maryland!

*And BTW, the proper world is clustered. "Virginia does not have a clustered population of Middle Class Blacks like Prince Georges County." Virginia has a large population of middle-class blacks. They just don't need to be clustered and segregated into one place, unlike across the river. They can live as far as their paychecks can take them.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:50 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Ummm, ever heard of Hampton Roads, Virginia? Good solid middle-class black population.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:05 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
Quote:
Oregon, Washington state, Colorado and Minnesota are good places for black ppl??? Not sure I follow that one.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Oregon, Washington state, Colorado and Minnesota are good places for black ppl??? Not sure I follow that one.
I'm pertaining more to blacks who don't want to to be socially limited to "stay in their place." Those who want to not deal with non-blacks who put on social and racist pressures and those within their own race who harbor self-separatists attitudes.

Trust me. Where I am, not every black person "give his brotha a hand" and "show love just because." Maybe that's how it is for blacks in Texas, but in DC's black community, 100% social conformity to either the "hoodmentality" or "bourgieness" is the only way you'll get any respect.

Last edited by Do a Barrel Roll; 06-17-2010 at 10:35 AM..

Old 06-17-2010, 11:35 AM

93,289 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
I'm pertaining more to blacks who don't want to to be socially limited to "stay in their place." Those who want to not deal with non-blacks who put on social and racist pressures and those within their own race who harbor self-separatists attitudes.

Trust me. Where I am, not every black person "give his brotha a hand" and "show love just because." Maybe that's how it is for blacks in Texas, but in DC's black community, 100% social conformity to either the "hoodmentality" or "bourgieness" is the only way you'll get any respect.
I have a hard time believing that only because of the fact that a lot of Black folks are first or maybe second generation upper middle class or rich(notice I didn't say wealthy). I don't think or know if that is something endemic in the area either.

It also could be a thng of being in an area with a faster pace of life and people can mistake lack of unity or what have you for just trying to do their thing first.

I also think that sometimes having a smaller Black community can make it more close knit due to numbers and location. That's why I think Denver has long been known for having a highly educated and close knit Black community eventhough they make up about 12% of the city's population and have since the late 60's or so. This also can be due to migration from particular areas and housing patterns too. Look up Five Points for an example(eventhough it has gone through some gentrification as well). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Points_(Denver)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.