U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2008, 01:55 PM

4,953 posts, read 8,536,603 times

Advertisements

Ouch! That was a left hook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 01:12 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,501,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
You're crazy. I've dated some very attractive Latina and Asian women. Black men always have and always will attract women of other ethnic backgrounds. I know some white guys think otherwise, but if yall really knew the truth and actually knew how many white, Asian American, and Latina women have been with black men, you would be surprised. Besides, a lot of latina women are at least partly descended from African ancestors.
You may have a point to that, and I have seen the open-minded mentality in a decent amount of places, but in the state that I live in (which is NOT considered southern, at least anymore ), but if you saw the separation between the races and what people thought of certain minorities, you would think you were in the pre civil rights era.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:41 PM

395 posts, read 1,250,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek girl View Post
I am absolutely shocked about the comments on houston. I really think

some of you people are still living in 1978! I unfortunately moved my retired

parents here from california because most of my relatives live here. They kind

of hesitated but decided it was best, they also HATE IT. Excellent quality of

life for blacks? No! A very important city? What's so important about this sick

city! good weather? Hell No! falling in line with N.Y, Chicago, L.A? NEVER!!

more like charleston, montgomery, nashville. There is racism in every state

but this takes the cake. What is wrong with you people here in houston!!

confederate belt buckles, t-shirts, and flags right in the middle of a city and

in your face disrespecting you left and right! where is the naacp, black

muslims, urban league, mega black churches! People are always walking

around in a daze staring at people like someone is from outer space. You

are the ones from outer space not the people from the west or east coast!

I. will. never. understand. this. sick. demented. backward. perverted.

redneck. pick-uptruck. place. I will pray for my relatives to run for their lives

and DIE to get my parents OUT OF HERE!! The same goes for dallas and san

antonio. HORRIBLE

So, I was just curious, is Houston a "racist" city? Is that what you are trying to say? Or do you just not like it? Are people outwardly offensive to blacks? Or do they just like to show their confederate flags and stare a lot? I am not trying to make anyone upset, but I was thinking about going there and I would like to know.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:06 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,671,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaJasMi View Post
So, I was just curious, is Houston a "racist" city? Is that what you are trying to say? Or do you just not like it? Are people outwardly offensive to blacks? Or do they just like to show their confederate flags and stare a lot? I am not trying to make anyone upset, but I was thinking about going there and I would like to know.
Obviously there some type of troll because I've never heard anyone speak that bad about Houston.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:48 PM

41 posts, read 89,138 times
African Americans are far too diverse - in wealth, in culture (southern blacks and northern blacks), and in interests to concretely offer one city as the best for all. The question presumes that blacks need to be around blacks to succeed. That is not the case. So why should one city bode better for blacks than another, assuming we look at a selection of cities without racial tensions.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:03 PM

13,266 posts, read 10,388,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onliner1 View Post
African Americans are far too diverse - in wealth, in culture (southern blacks and northern blacks), and in interests to concretely offer one city as the best for all. The question presumes that blacks need to be around blacks to succeed. That is not the case. So why should one city bode better for blacks than another, assuming we look at a selection of cities without racial tensions.

I couldn't put it any better myself.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:14 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,172,375 times
Chicago is ideal. Large African American population. Cook County (the county that includes Chicago) has more African American owned businesses than any other area in the entire country. Between 1992 and 2002, the number of black owned businesses i Chicago increased by 69%, to nearly 55,000. There is a strong African American community here. Some very vibrant communities such as Hyde Park, Bronzeville, Kenwood (where Barack Obama lives), Beverly, South Loop, that are heavily African American.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:52 PM

2,554 posts, read 5,995,676 times
Columbus, Indy and Jacksonville are three emerging cities that offer a lot for african americans. Great living standards.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:20 AM

3 posts, read 8,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
Chicago is ideal. Large African American population. Cook County (the county that includes Chicago) has more African American owned businesses than any other area in the entire country. Between 1992 and 2002, the number of black owned businesses i Chicago increased by 69%, to nearly 55,000. There is a strong African American community here. Some very vibrant communities such as Hyde Park, Bronzeville, Kenwood (where Barack Obama lives), Beverly, South Loop, that are heavily African American.
I have to disagree with you slightly on this one. Chicago is ideal... for wealthy African Americans. Chicago has a high standard of living and there appears to be a great divide between the "haves" and the "have nots." The difference between Chicago and say DC is that although they both have a high standard of living, D.C. salaries are higher and relative to that high standard of living. Therefore, someone with an average paying job will not be able to live as comfortably in Chicago as in DC.

If money isn't an issue, African Americans can live well in any of the U.S. alpha world cities: NYC, Chicago, or LA. They all have a large African-American presence with vibrant communities. If money is an issue, go south: Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, etc. -- will get much more for the money.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:09 AM

1,582 posts, read 4,288,128 times
[quote=Onliner1;2923819]African Americans are far too diverse - in wealth, in culture (southern blacks and northern blacks), quote]

just curious- can an African-American please differentiate the cultural differences between Southern Blacks & Northern Blacks? Where do the California Blacks fall into, culturally?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or