U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2008, 08:31 AM

18,633 posts, read 27,064,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I'm not saying Houston isn't diverse. But you are trying to compare it to the Nation's Capital, where there are hundreds of embassies, foreign officials and international tourist frolicking on our streets on a daily basis. Plus DC probably has more central americans than any city in N.A. When I was in Texas a few years back, I saw Mexicans! So much for diversity.
I'm sorry, but you just described Houston as well. There are international tourists especially from Latin America since it's actually closer frolicking on the streets on a daily basis as well. There are also foreign offices as well in Houston for different industries. And I highly doubt DC has more central Americans than New York, Los Angeles, and Miami. Could you provide a link to that one?

Also, why the majority of Houston's Hispanic population is mexican. There is a very large El Savadoran population (fastest growing in the nation), and South American population. Houston's hispanic population is the most diverse in Texas. It isn't like San Antonio. If DC is more diverse than Houston. It doesn't blow Houston out of the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 07:09 PM

401 posts, read 2,374,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Houston can go toe to toe with any city in terms of diversity.
Gimme a break seriously and stop being so narrow-minded. Houston doesnt even come close to NYC/Northern NJ, Los Angeles and Chicago. All of these cities were filled with ethnic groups while Houston was still probably a cattle ranch

Old 04-17-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Gimme a break seriously and stop being so narrow-minded. Houston doesnt even come close to NYC/Northern NJ, Los Angeles and Chicago. All of these cities were filled with ethnic groups while Houston was still probably a cattle ranch
First of all, who is being narrow minded for one? Did I say Houston is the most diverse city? NO. I said it is one of the most diverse cities in the nation and Houston CAN go toe to toe with Chicago. Looking at the demographic statistics on census, both Houston and Chicago ethnic percentages are roughly equal. I don't care what Houston was 40 years ago and what other cities were 40 years ago. I am talking about TODAY.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:48 PM

492 posts, read 1,018,745 times
Quote:
Houston is more diverse than cities mentioned including DC., hands down. Not only is it more diverse but it is more accepting, inclusive, and it is totally less segregated. (please look @ city-data facts.) In Houston one sees people of different races at every level of the economic ladder. It is easy to say hello and start a conversation to just about anyone around in Houston. Try doing that in DC or NY or Chgo. They will say "I dont know you" , "leave me alone!" , "Police!!" Very sick IMO.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I said it is one of the most diverse cities in the nation and Houston CAN go toe to toe with Chicago. Looking at the demographic statistics on census, both Houston and Chicago ethnic percentages are roughly equal. I don't care what Houston was 40 years ago and what other cities were 40 years ago. I am talking about TODAY.
Wow, these Houston-boosters really are brain-washed. Houston cannot even come close to Chicago, gimme a flippin break. Please look under the demographics category on both of these websites and you will educate yourself on your ridiculous comment -
Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Houston, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-17-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
It is easy to say hello and start a conversation to just about anyone around in Houston. Try doing that in DC or NY or Chgo. They will say "I dont know you" , "leave me alone!" , "Police!!" Very sick IMO.
See this is the problem. These Houston people make statements when they have obviously never been to any of the cities that they are bashing and making statements about. Chicago is one of the friendliest cities in the world. Ever heard of this guy named Frank Sinatra who made this song called "My kind of town" about Chicago. Part of the lyrics are
"This is my kind of town, chicago is
My kind of town, chicago is
My kind of people too
People who smile at you"

Im sure if only he would have gone to Houston he would have had much better things to say!!

Old 04-17-2008, 10:25 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,878,813 times
Quote:
See this is the problem. These Houston people make statements when they have obviously never been to any of the cities that they are bashing and making statements about. Chicago is one of the friendliest cities in the world. Ever heard of this guy named Frank Sinatra who made this song called "My kind of town" about Chicago. Part of the lyrics are
"This is my kind of town, chicago is
My kind of town, chicago is
My kind of people too
People who smile at you"

Im sure if only he would have gone to Houston he would have had much better things to say!!
Dude do you have anything to contribute to the thread? If not go some where else and spew your hatred somewhere else. Houston and Atlanta are the places where African Americans have the best employment opportunities and socially there is a great sense of place for them also. And by the way Houston IS as diverse as any place in America, I have met a number of people from just about every country in the world (almost all of whom have been friendly I might add) and dined at just about every type of ethnic restaurant that there is right here. Time to dispel the incorrect stereotype (held by a few backwards individuals on cd, YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!!) Houston is a member of the big boy crowd now!

Old 04-19-2008, 11:11 AM

938 posts, read 3,667,681 times
Quote:
First of all, who is being narrow minded for one? Did I say Houston is the most diverse city? NO. I said it is one of the most diverse cities in the nation and Houston CAN go toe to toe with Chicago. Looking at the demographic statistics on census, both Houston and Chicago ethnic percentages are roughly equal. I don't care what Houston was 40 years ago and what other cities were 40 years ago. I am talking about TODAY.
While Houston may be able to go "to to toe" with Chicago, it's diversity in terms of it's ethnic groups hardly compares.

Houston has what? Mexicans (duh), Central Americans, Blacks, Whites, Vietnamese and what else?

Chicago has Poles, Blacks, Whites, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Indians, Italians, Irish, Germans, Assyrians, Arabs, etc.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Wow, these Houston-boosters really are brain-washed. Houston cannot even come close to Chicago, gimme a flippin break. Please look under the demographics category on both of these websites and you will educate yourself on your ridiculous comment -
Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Houston, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
First of all, calm down. I'm not from Houston and never have lived in Houston and not a Houston booster and by judging by my posts, many can attest that I do have many criticisms about the city. Second of all, quoting "facts" from wikipedia does not help your argument. Get your facts from census.gov. The two cities are rather equal in terms of diversity. Chicago has the largest Polish population in the US. The demographic percentage wise in the city are not that different from each other at all.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
While Houston may be able to go "to to toe" with Chicago, it's diversity in terms of it's ethnic groups hardly compares.

Houston has what? Mexicans (duh), Central Americans, Blacks, Whites, Vietnamese and what else?

Chicago has Poles, Blacks, Whites, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Indians, Italians, Irish, Germans, Assyrians, Arabs, etc.
Houston also has Germans, Columbians, Chileans, Salvadorans, Nigerians, Arabs, and more. I however do agree with the ethnic groups as I proved that to a Houston poster in another thread in the Texas forum comparing the two cities. But Houston is no slouch compared to it's peer cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or