U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 09:36 AM

48,176 posts, read 45,495,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Atlanta is extremely overrated and I hate how everyone assumes it's the best place to live for African Americans! Why?!?! Because that's where all the black celebrities are? It has a big black population?!

I get sick and tired of magazines trying to tell us blacks what's the best place for us.
Thank you!! Someone needed to say this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 07:10 AM

4 posts, read 9,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Atlanta is extremely overrated and I hate how everyone assumes it's the best place to live for African Americans! Why?!?! Because that's where all the black celebrities are? It has a big black population?!

I get sick and tired of magazines trying to tell us blacks what's the best place for us.
I like magazine articles on the subject but if they will continue to focus on the same cities it is not helpful. Tell me about cities with less than 50% blacks that are good for blacks. I like to mix it up a bit but thats just me. Is there such a place?A place that all people want to move no matter what race?

Old 04-29-2008, 12:02 PM

5,370 posts, read 12,981,245 times
Black Enterprise come up with a new list. Venture out of your box and explore new cities. Cities that aren't the so-called black mecca cities. I lived in some of them but now I live in Seattle and life is great.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,537 times
Hi, I planning on moving and I really dont know where to go. Im looking for a urban atmosphere that is low in crime, that is not racist, affordable, with a strong job growth, and barely any natural disasters. Does anyone have any suggestion? Keep in mind I am black. I live in New York City, where most blacks live in poverty striken areas. NYC is a racist town for blacks and if the blacks can not see this they are blind. I hate this place, so I am looking to move to a town that will accept me and my black son. HELP

Old 04-30-2008, 12:26 AM

3 posts, read 12,049 times
Toss up between Seattle and New York.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:06 PM

476 posts, read 2,303,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Luckily, most people in the world do not look at lists to choose which city is for them or not. Blacks have prospered greatly in New York and Chicago for decades and for decades to come. I love the city of Chicago and could easily find myself living there over Washington DC, a city that's on that list, because of the cost of living.

You're right.
City-data-forum is better

Old 11-29-2008, 12:40 PM

3,277 posts, read 4,615,969 times
Of each of those, D.C. is the only one I'd even consider living in. The rest are in the South. Most of the cities I'm considering going to school in, Seattle-Portland, Boston, NYC, Ann Arbor, Boulder-Denver, have moderate to normal black populations and aren't even places most consider going to. The others that do have large black populations, D.C. and Philly, are still in the north.

I think the Hipster in me is just much stronger and wins out.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:17 PM

468 posts, read 2,134,306 times
Black Enterprise is obviously concerned with "enterprise" so I assume they're judging these cities based on economic criteria that include low taxes and an ease of starting up a business. New York, Chicago and other big, old cities have higher tax rates and lower rates of new business growth compared to the Sunbelt. I'd assume that's part of why they selected the cities they did.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:41 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,331,660 times
^Good point. Take the title of such studies with a grain of salt. It's just specific performance indicators associated with certain cities being plugged into a formula to produce a list.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:10 AM

1,435 posts, read 3,579,879 times
Quote:
Toss up between Seattle and New York
Seattle is only 8% Black. I have seen many threads here on City-Data started by Black women who live in cities that are less than 10% Black like San Jose, Tucson, Phoenix, San Antonio, Reno, etc, and their number one complaint is always that there is a lack of good beauty salons that know how to deal with Black women's hair, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or