Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 09:41 PM

143 posts, read 872,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
I think that Houston is far too big to ever be a Black mecca. There's too much of an even mixture of cultures to be a "black city." It's more of a business mecca in my opinion and is falling in line with New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles.
Houston is a very diverse city. I guess by black mecca I meant just an excellent quality of life for blacks. While its as big as NY CHI LA it dosent seem as cultured as them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 10:06 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vader View Post
Houston is a very diverse city. I guess by black mecca I meant just an excellent quality of life for blacks. While its as big as NY CHI LA it dosent seem as cultured as them.
While not as much as those, it's getting there. I see a strong Arab, French, Greek, and Nigerian population. There's also a growing Italian population which for me means more great restaurants, lol.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:46 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,670,134 times
Quote:
From reading the original post, it looks like the rankings were based on things the magazine thought would indicate better chances of financial success for African-Americans. Although I've enjoyed my visits to places like Columbus and Indy, somehow I don't see them as social meccas for blacks.
If you visited Columbus, then most likely you were not near the "middle class" black areas. Most of those are areas that were once developed suburban (60s,70's) were white, then transitioned to being immigrant and middle class black neighborhoods, the entire NE side of the city is more black than white, and decent sized, decently safe, neigborhoods. These areas are not where visitors go though, most of the "nice" touristy downtown sections of Columbus are all white and rich. That is why Columbus has a lower black ownership of business than other "black" cities.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:17 AM

If we are going to use just size of the black population, that would make Detroit or Gary, IN the true black meccas..

Old 07-22-2007, 01:03 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Can't believe I didn't see this thread as this would have alot of interest with me.

Quote:
Well D.C., to me, is not a real city because of the district and it feels too "federal."...to me

Dallas' metro is only so large because it includes an entire other major city, so it hardly counts. I don't know much about D.C. And metro areas don't qualify to me anyway since suburbs are pretty much residential, and even if it did, Houston's suburbs are top ranking. And I don't mean big, as in population. Dallas and D.C. are big, but HOU is big as in New York or Chicago big. With lots more to do and a bigger lifestyle. Houston is one of the big four.

DC is a city. The jobs in the city are federal. But it functions as a city. It has it's own police department, it has a mayor, it has everything a city has. It is one of the densest and historic cities in the nation. DC also has the largest Ghanian, Sierrien(sp) Leone, and I believe Liberian population in the United States and more are flocking here like flies.

Now I know this will be hard to some, not all, Houstonians to take. But there is no such thing as the "big four." It's the "big three." Meaning, New York, Los Angeles and Chicago. Everybody else in in the 2nd tier.

DC is a very important city and is currently seeing tremendous growth despite having the highest income by far in this list. the suburbs do count as they would not exist if the city was not there and they are tied in with the city by having people only live in those suburbs but work in the city. PG County, Maryland is the richest county in the nation amonst black Americans. The DC MSA has over 1 million blacks. The DC-Bmore CSA has over 2 million blacks putting it number 2 behind New York with as number of blacks in the country in one metro. It has always been a powerhouse for Black Americans. Sorry, but Washington. DC. counts as much as Houston.

Dallas also counts. Who cares that they have a larger city to help them escalate their population stats. It still functions as one metro now and becoming ever so closer. But despite that, the Dallas side still has 650,000 of the regions 830,000 blacks. More blacks have moved to the metroplex than any other region in the US since 1990 except Atlanta. Before Katrina, Dallas received the 3rd most blacks in the country so far this decade behind Atlanta and Miami. Houston was 5th behind those three and Washington DC.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:52 PM

"It's the "big three." Meaning, New York, Los Angeles and Chicago. Everybody else in in the 2nd tier. " -Spade

THANK YOU...The houston boosters can get a little annoying. Id personally even throw Atlanta over Houston on the 2nd tier.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:59 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times
Quote:
I'm surprised New York didn't make the top four. That city is great for Blacks or anybody for that matter.
NYC is not great for Blacks. It has one of the highest Black segregation rates (usually 1 or 2) and poverty is widespread among the African American community.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:09 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,025,003 times
This is a very vague question because there's nothing to go on other than skin color. Technically, African American's can thrive in any city, even the south because we're not living in the 1960's anymore. If you're looking for quality of life than you can find that in most cities but race wouldn't be a determining factor, or at least it shouldn't be. Another fact is that not all black people share similar views, values and politics so that would throw you off line with other black people. If I were you, I would seek a community that matches your values and interests.

Atlanta, Seattle and Chicago would be the top cities I can think off, but then again I don't know your values or what you're seeking specifically.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:02 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vader View Post
"It's the "big three." Meaning, New York, Los Angeles and Chicago. Everybody else in in the 2nd tier. " -Spade

THANK YOU...The houston boosters can get a little annoying. Id personally even throw Atlanta over Houston on the 2nd tier.
Well, I wouldn't go that far. Houston has much more fortune 500 companies, is a bigger city, is much more international than Atlanta, much more diverse, and has a much more diverse economy. This is my list.

Tier 1. NY, LA, Chicago
Tier 2. Houston, Philadelphia, Dallas,Boston, Washington DC, Atlanta, Miami, San Francisco or any other metro between 5 and 9.5 million people.
Tier 3. the major metros under that.

Looking at that tier 2 list, there are tooooo many cities that can say they are fourth. Honestly, I'm not a Houston booster by any means. But I think Houston is one of the top cities of that tier. They are a very important city.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:04 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times
Quote:
It's the "big three." Meaning, New York, Los Angeles and Chicago. Everybody else in in the 2nd tier.
Yeah right...

Quote:
Most Segregated Cities For Blacks in 2000
Filed Under Sociology, Black/African American Issues, Original Essays and Analysis, Race and Racism, Uncategorized by Rachel
Update 2: I see that many people are coming here who are not regular readers of this site. This post is a follow-up to an earlier post, you can look at this post from a few days ago where I discuss the different dimensions of residential segregation. That post discusses a few of the methodological issues, and it links to the Census Bureau report where the data comes from. So if you are confused about the differences, between clustering and exposure (for example), you can get more information from that post. If you link to the actual Census report, they show statistical formulas that are used in calculating segregation using each method described. They also discuss other issues related to measuring segregation.

You should also keep in mind this is only measuring segregation for Blacks, and it’s only measuring urban segregation. I am preparing future posts Asians, Latinos and Native Americans.

Update #1: I had to change the title of the post because I forgot to put up the least segregated cities.

All data comes from the US Census Bureau

5 Least Even Metro Areas (cities where blacks are least evenly spread; the number is the percent of people who would have to move for the group to be evenly distributed across the metro area)

Detroit
Milwaukee
New York
Newark
Chicago
5 Lowest Exposure Metros (cities where blacks have lowest chance of having contact with non-blacks)

New York
Detroit
Miami
Newark
Chicago
5 Most Concentrated Metros (cities where blacks are most densely concentrated/least spread throughout the metro area)

Milwaukee
Newark
Riverside-San Bernardino (CA)
Phoenix-Mesa
Cincinnati
5 Most Centralized Cities (cities where blacks are closest to the central core of the city)

Minneapolis
Portland
Denver
Cincinnati
Phoenix-Mesa
5 Most Clustered Cities

Detroit
Newark
Chicago
Philadelphia
Cleveland
Overall Most Segregated (Averaging ranks for all 5 major dimensions) Drumroll…..

Milwaukee
Detroit
Cleveland
St. Louis
Newark
Cincinnati
Buffalo-Niagara Falls
New York
Chicago
Philadelphia
(tie) New Orleans and Kansas City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.