U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-27-2007, 10:25 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,638 posts, read 27,069,277 times
Reputation: 9580

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Actually, sir, "the big four" is a relative term. And seeing as how neither that or "the big three" are set in stone, they're subject to one's own opinion. So, in my opinion, the Big Four do exist, and they are New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston. And for good reason.
I'm sorry but globally, the rest of the world knows that the United States has three cities that are connected to the rest of the world by economy, influence, and socially. And they are New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago. Those are the only cities that are in the Alpha tier. Those are the only cities that will be alpha cities for the forseeable future.

You're putting Houston to a level it is not yet on because you're going off opinion. Others from San Francisco would say they are fourth. Bostonians would say they are fourth. Washingtonians would say they are fourth. Etc. Etc. There are too many cities that can say they are fourth and it comes down to region.

But when it comes to New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago. This is not the case.

Also, cthreex. I did not talk about Detroit in my post because my post was not intended to have Detroit named in my post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2007, 10:51 PM
 
Location: Texas!
332 posts, read 359,556 times
Reputation: 108
People are always making up lame excuses for the boom in the sunbelt cities,but face it people...sunbelt cities are in! You know people do eventually get tired of living in cramped in cities living in beat up apartments and paying up 300-500 a month for them.

You people can hate all you want on Houston,Miami,Atlanta,and etc. but the growth will continue and don't say it's because of illegal immigration because it's actually worse in the more northern states too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2007, 11:01 PM
 
Location: Chicagoland area
554 posts, read 2,280,252 times
Reputation: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Im just saying through,from all the neighborhoods I've experienced,blacks live around blacks,whites around whites,my old suburb,Euclid Ohio,whites and blacks don't get along.Im glad I am not like that.I would prefer to live around african americans,and I think african american women are the nicest looking.Unfortunatly there is still alot of people that would like to keep things segregated.There is some places where everything is integrated,but alot of cities aren't.
I agree with you, and that's why I wouldn't consider Detroit one of the best cities for blacks. EXTREMELY segregated in most areas of the city. Crime is high as well as the poverty level. A lot of boarded up houses. I don't think that's something blacks like to be associated with (especially African immigrants).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2007, 11:36 PM
 
1,529 posts, read 2,108,208 times
Reputation: -80
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
People are always making up lame excuses for the boom in the sunbelt cities,but face it people...sunbelt cities are in! You know people do eventually get tired of living in cramped in cities living in beat up apartments and paying up 300-500 a month for them.

You people can hate all you want on Houston,Miami,Atlanta,and etc. but the growth will continue and don't say it's because of illegal immigration because it's actually worse in the more northern states too.
2x. It's more like 2500 a month for a studio in a decent area in Manhattan. The sunbelt is the future, high quality of life for the average person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
I agree with you, and that's why I wouldn't consider Detroit one of the best cities for blacks. EXTREMELY segregated in most areas of the city. Crime is high as well as the poverty level. A lot of boarded up houses. I don't think that's something blacks like to be associated with (especially African immigrants).
Any city with a large concentration of poor Blacks is bad for African Americans. Detroit, Chicago, NYC, ect...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2007, 12:19 AM
 
143 posts, read 788,581 times
Reputation: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
You people can hate all you want on Houston,Miami,Atlanta,and etc. but the growth will continue and don't say it's because of illegal immigration because it's actually worse in the more northern states too.
Umm maybe in NY and Chi..Other than that your waaay off.

Not all Northern cities are like NY. There may be pockets of Mexicans but most of the tradtional north comprises of blacks and whites. Its hard to come by Mexicans in many northern cities compared to the growing (i.e. annexing) ones in the south. Its undeniable thats at least one reason why the south is growing. Nor are all the homes cramped. The way of living in the great lakes region is very much comparable to the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2007, 12:37 AM
 
143 posts, read 788,581 times
Reputation: 87
"Any city with a large concentration of poor Blacks is bad for African Americans. Detroit, Chicago, NYC"-Hustla718

This could be taken as a racist comment..Are you saying blacks are uncapable of having successful cities and neighborhoods? There are bad parts in every city but pretty much every black billionaire has come out of Chicago or around the region.All of the modern day black senators and governers have come out of there, not to mention it has the most blacks business per captia...And NYC has the wealthest blacks in the country..Dont see how you come to these conclusions. These are the definition of black meccas..Blacks can be successful whether thier in concentrated areas or not.

Last edited by vader; 07-28-2007 at 12:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2007, 01:15 AM
 
1,529 posts, read 2,108,208 times
Reputation: -80
Quote:
Originally Posted by vader View Post
"Any city with a large concentration of poor Blacks is bad for African Americans. Detroit, Chicago, NYC"-Hustla718

This could be taken as a racist comment..Are you saying blacks are uncapable of having successful cities and neighborhoods? There are bad parts in every city but pretty much every black billionaire has come out of Chicago or around the region.All of the modern day black senators and governers have come out of there, not to mention it has the most blacks business per captia...And NYC has the wealthest blacks in the country..Dont see how you come to these conclusions. These are the definition of black meccas..Blacks can be successful whether thier in concentrated areas or not.
How in the hell is that racist. If you are a middle income African American you don't want your kids exposed to the inner city ghetto life. Most Blacks in the cities I mentioned live in the ghetto. NYC, Chicago, Detroit, ect. Kids are simple it will drag them down.

One day come to NYC. No way are NYC African Americans the wealthiest in the nation. Not by a longshot. There is only one middle class Black neighborhood in NYC, right on the Nassau border (Cambria Heights). However the largest Black areas are ghettos. Parts of Brooklyn (Bedstuy Brownsville Crown Heights ect), Central Harlem, Jamaica/Hollis/Saint Albans, and the North Bronx (North Bronx is all West Indian Black though). For the city with the largest Black population the country, it's hard to belive there is only one middle class Black neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2007, 04:09 AM
 
Location: Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk
625 posts, read 1,353,367 times
Reputation: 626
Default New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by vader View Post
And NYC has the wealthest blacks in the country..Dont see how you come to these conclusions. These are the definition of black meccas..Blacks can be successful whether thier in concentrated areas or not.
From what I've observed, most of the very successful blacks in NYC (such as executives in corporate settings or medical professionals) don't remain in the predominantly black neighborhoods here - and why should they? If they can afford it, believe me, they get out. Predominantly black neighborhoods in NYC may have safe "pockets" of culture and vibrancy, but for the most part they tend to be dangerous and lacking in opportunities.

In NYC, it does seem that poor blacks far outnumber more educated blacks who are well-off financially. The educated, wealthy or middle-class blacks tend to move to more integrated areas -- but there aren't as many as you would think. I live in a Manhattan neighborhood that is a mix of middle-class and affluence, and I realized the other day that only one black person lives on my block. One. Really. Hardly any black people live around here. In fact, not one has lived in my building since I moved here in the mid-1980s (it's a small building, just 20 apartments, so I see everyone). You start to see more blacks about fifteen blocks north of me - where some projects are.

So, while yes, there are many successful and hard-working blacks residing all over NYC (and it is a big enough city that it appears to non-NYers that there are so many here achieving success), discrimination is still an issue, and a larger proportion of NYC blacks do not rise above poverty level. The inner-city hip-hop culture dissuades most of the young black men from pursuing education and mainstream success because doing that is too "white." It is such a huge problem here that CUNY (City University of New York) has begun a "Black Male Initiative" to try and change their attitudes (they are finding that black women in general are much more determined to become successful).

Because of how expensive it has become here, fewer people can afford to leave the depressed areas behind, even if they have good jobs with fairly decent incomes. Of course, there are movers and shakers who try to stay in the bad neighborhoods and fight for better conditions, but they burn out fast.

All that said, it is still totally possible to have huge success here no matter what your ethnicity and I do love this town for that (and other things).

Last edited by citychik; 07-28-2007 at 04:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2007, 04:53 AM
 
Location: Live in VA, Work in MD, Play in DC
697 posts, read 2,024,700 times
Reputation: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
There's a Big Four because I say so. Houston is entirely too big and diverse to be compared to cities that are smaller and largely black and white. Time will prove this.

Wrong for two reasons: I flocked over here to lead the best possible life I could, and where I live in the city is actually not all that cheap. I'm not alone. People move to any city because they want to. People love cities because they realize its special, unique quality. Just because no one else sees it, it doesn't mean it's not there.
"I say so" means opinion, doesn't mean it is fact.

Houston is large and diverse, but couldn't you say that about other cities like Boston, D.C. and San Francisco? None of those are black and white populated cities either. You could say each of those are more diverse than Houston.

Houston is very large, but Houston is known for annexing suburbs which means it's city limits is huge.

You don't think Houston is cheap? It's a nice city, but think about where you live and how much your lifestyle costs. You may live in an expensive neighborhood, but that will cost you so much more in San Francisco, Boston, or D.C. in a similar tiered neighborhood.

There is nothing wrong with Houston, it's a great city and yes it deserves to be mentioned near the top of other 2nd tiered cities. But, it's not in the same class as NYC, LA and Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2007, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Texas!
332 posts, read 359,556 times
Reputation: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by vader View Post
Umm maybe in NY and Chi..Other than that your waaay off.

Not all Northern cities are like NY. There may be pockets of Mexicans but most of the tradtional north comprises of blacks and whites. Its hard to come by Mexicans in many northern cities compared to the growing (i.e. annexing) ones in the south. Its undeniable thats at least one reason why the south is growing. Nor are all the homes cramped. The way of living in the great lakes region is very much comparable to the south.
I was basically refering to NY when I stated how people wouldn't want to live in cramped apartments,but the Mexican population is very big in the North believe it or not. I don't know exactly where you live but the growth in the Northern states is also because of illegal immigration.

When I say " more northern states: I mean up north such as Illinois,New York,Ohio etc....I wasn't specifically saying the northern region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top