Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 05:49 PM

18 posts, read 46,753 times

Advertisements

I am a african american women with 3 girls and I would like to know what is the best city to raise a family. My top questions are:descent cost of living, excellent public schools,and employment opporunities in the administrative field with a reasonable pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 08:15 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrowder09 View Post
I am a african american women with 3 girls and I would like to know what is the best city to raise a family. My top questions are:descent cost of living, excellent public schools,and employment opporunities in the administrative field with a reasonable pay.
I'd recommend Raleigh, NC. Charlotte is also a good candidate, but Raleigh has better public schools overall than Charlotte.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:21 PM

123 posts, read 321,342 times
Well I suggest you start at this site to help you determine.....then try a few more and compare.
Southern Poverty Law Center

I have lived and worked in every state but Alaska and have yet to identify one of them that I feel relatively comfortable in as a Black woman.

Houston, Jacksonville, Clearwater, DC, Birmingham and 99% of Arizona,most places in California and Idaho I found the most miserable of places to live for Black people.

But then, right now, it seems No ONE wants Black folk around ....even WITH a lot of money.

The most friendly place isn't in the USA....in my humble experience.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:33 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZBEA View Post
Houston, Jacksonville, Clearwater, DC, Birmingham and 99% of Arizona,most places in California and Idaho I found the most miserable of places to live for Black people.
Well I know this nation isn't perfect by any means, but I know and know of Blacks who live in Houston, Jacksonville, DC, and Birmingham who are doing just fine for themselves and love where they live. They are well-educated and have worked hard to make a good life for themselves and are reaping the rewards. No, they aren't utopias, but they are far from the hellholes for Black folks you describe them to be. And by the way, I, too, am Black and hope to move to the DC region within the near future myself.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:10 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Well I know this nation isn't perfect by any means, but I know and know of Blacks who live in Houston, Jacksonville, DC, and Birmingham who are doing just fine for themselves and love where they live. They are well-educated and have worked hard to make a good life for themselves and are reaping the rewards. No, they aren't utopias, but they are far from the hellholes for Black folks you describe them to be. And by the way, I, too, am Black and hope to move to the DC region within the near future myself.
I totally agree with that, but I can see to some degree, why said poster is frustrated and might feel that way.

I'd say that cities like Seattle, Denver, Columbus OH and even Madison WI get "slept on".

Old 10-03-2009, 03:34 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,817,095 times
Maryland defintely is the best state for African Americans.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:11 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Maryland defintely is the best state for African Americans.
Well states like Georgia and Texas and North Carolina has something to say about that. But honestly, how is DC and Houston miserable places for Blacks? These are two of the largest black cities in the country.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:21 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Well I suggest you start at this site to help you determine.....then try a few more and compare.
Southern Poverty Law Center

I have lived and worked in every state but Alaska and have yet to identify one of them that I feel relatively comfortable in as a Black woman.

But then, right now, it seems No ONE wants Black folk around ....even WITH a lot of money.

Wow.....you need to just give up and get a sex change.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:30 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Wow.....you need to just give up and get a sex change.
OD .

Lol, that was funny .

Old 10-03-2009, 09:02 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:

"No one wants black folks around"...what is that supposed to mean? Most of us just don't want irritating people around. It doesn't matter what color they are - or how much money they have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.