Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 08:15 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Yeah right...
yeah right what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 02:28 PM

143 posts, read 873,220 times
Quote:
Yeah right...

About that data, its 7 years old. Secondly southern cities will obviously be less segregated because theres a high concentration of rural blacks..Third..Whats wrong with segregation anyway?

Old 07-24-2007, 02:31 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vader View Post
About that data, its 7 years old. Secondly southern cities will obviously be less segregated because theres a high concentration of rural blacks..Third..Whats wrong with segregation anyway?
7 years is nothing. Those demographics have been relatively unchanged for decades.

BTW, this doesn't include (rural) areas, just city limits...

Old 07-24-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well, I wouldn't go that far. Houston has much more fortune 500 companies, is a bigger city, is much more international than Atlanta, much more diverse, and has a much more diverse economy. This is my list.

Tier 1. NY, LA, Chicago
Tier 2. Houston, Philadelphia, Dallas,Boston, Washington DC, Atlanta, Miami, San Francisco or any other metro between 5 and 9.5 million people.
Tier 3. the major metros under that.

Looking at that tier 2 list, there are tooooo many cities that can say they are fourth. Honestly, I'm not a Houston booster by any means. But I think Houston is one of the top cities of that tier. They are a very important city.
About Atlanta I was talking in terms probably being a better city for blacks, I shouldve clarifed myself. But yes Houston is an important player these days.

Old 07-24-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
7 years is nothing. Those demographics have been relatively unchanged for decades.

BTW, this doesn't include (rural) areas, just city limits...
Okay..But 7 years is pushing it, especially with all the recent population shifts. Id also like to know how much annexation played a role.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:47 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,358 times
Quote:
Some people prefer living around different races, experiencing new people and cultures, rather than having to see the same type of people everyday

And what do you mean southern cities will be less segregated because of a high concentration of rural blacks? Would that make them more segregated? Sorry, I'm just a little confused.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:32 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,265 times
Quote:
Okay..But 7 years is pushing it, especially with all the recent population shifts. Id also like to know how much annexation played a role.
The cities on the list have kept virtually the same demographics over the past 7 years.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,109 times
[quote=Spade;1119126]Can't believe I didn't see this thread as this would have alot of interest with me.

DC is a city. The jobs in the city are federal. But it functions as a city. It has it's own police department, it has a mayor, it has everything a city has. It is one of the densest and historic cities in the nation. DC also has the largest Ghanian, Sierrien(sp) Leone, and I believe Liberian population in the United States and more are flocking here like flies.

Now I know this will be hard to some, not all, Houstonians to take. But there is no such thing as the "big four." It's the "big three." Meaning, New York, Los Angeles and Chicago. Everybody else in in the 2nd tier.

DC is a very important city and is currently seeing tremendous growth despite having the highest income by far in this list. the suburbs do count as they would not exist if the city was not there and they are tied in with the city by having people only live in those suburbs but work in the city. PG County, Maryland is the richest county in the nation amonst black Americans. The DC MSA has over 1 million blacks. The DC-Bmore CSA has over 2 million blacks putting it number 2 behind New York with as number of blacks in the country in one metro. It has always been a powerhouse for Black Americans. Sorry, but Washington. DC. counts as much as Houston.

Dallas also counts. Who cares that they have a larger city to help them escalate their population stats. It still functions as one metro now and becoming ever so closer. But despite that, the Dallas side still has 650,000 of the regions 830,000 blacks. More blacks have moved to the metroplex than any other region in the US since 1990 except Atlanta. Before Katrina, Dallas received the 3rd most blacks in the country so far this decade behind Atlanta and Miami. Houston was 5th behind those three and Washington DC.[/QUOTE

It is interesting to me how there is so little mention of Detroit in not just this post, but in this thread in general! Although Detroit has suffered greater population loss than probably any other major city in America (it was once nearly 2 million people), I think that not including it in this discussion would be highly improper. No other city has a higher concentration of blacks in the city, except Gary, and quite frankly Gary cannot truly be compared to Detroit due to its much smaller size and overall population. I would venture to say that no other city has offered more political, and often economical, power to black people than Detroit. What city with close to 1,000,000 people has a nearly all black city council? Black mayor? Blacks in leadership of almost every major department of city government? It is true as of late that economically, other cities such as Atlanta, Houston and even Dallas have lured blacks much more precipitately than Detroit, however, when you talk about a black mecca it surprises me that there is so little talk about Detroit.

I would almost go out on a limb due to the unique position of Detroit in terms of overall blacks in leadership, government, etc., that if any city should be included with the "Big three" (NY, LA, Chi) it should be Detroit.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:35 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Can't believe I didn't see this thread as this would have alot of interest with me.

DC is a city. The jobs in the city are federal. But it functions as a city. It has it's own police department, it has a mayor, it has everything a city has. It is one of the densest and historic cities in the nation. DC also has the largest Ghanian, Sierrien(sp) Leone, and I believe Liberian population in the United States and more are flocking here like flies.

Now I know this will be hard to some, not all, Houstonians to take. But there is no such thing as the "big four." It's the "big three." Meaning, New York, Los Angeles and Chicago. Everybody else in in the 2nd tier.

DC is a very important city and is currently seeing tremendous growth despite having the highest income by far in this list. the suburbs do count as they would not exist if the city was not there and they are tied in with the city by having people only live in those suburbs but work in the city. PG County, Maryland is the richest county in the nation amonst black Americans. The DC MSA has over 1 million blacks. The DC-Bmore CSA has over 2 million blacks putting it number 2 behind New York with as number of blacks in the country in one metro. It has always been a powerhouse for Black Americans. Sorry, but Washington. DC. counts as much as Houston.

Dallas also counts. Who cares that they have a larger city to help them escalate their population stats. It still functions as one metro now and becoming ever so closer. But despite that, the Dallas side still has 650,000 of the regions 830,000 blacks. More blacks have moved to the metroplex than any other region in the US since 1990 except Atlanta. Before Katrina, Dallas received the 3rd most blacks in the country so far this decade behind Atlanta and Miami. Houston was 5th behind those three and Washington DC.
Actually, sir, "the big four" is a relative term. And seeing as how neither that or "the big three" are set in stone, they're subject to one's own opinion. So, in my opinion, the Big Four do exist, and they are New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston. And for good reason.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:38 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,369 times
Quote:
NYC is not great for Blacks. It has one of the highest Black segregation rates (usually 1 or 2) and poverty is widespread among the African American community.
But the number of black executives is undeniable. Regardless of statistics and what not, many blacks find success in that great city. Black culture is celebrated and respected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.