Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 09:41 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,651,042 times

Advertisements

Ohio isn't a big state for illegal immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 10:28 AM

332 posts, read 448,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Ohio isn't a big state for illegal immigration.
True,but Chicago and NYC are.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:39 AM

That is true.

Old 07-28-2007, 03:29 PM

143 posts, read 872,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
How in the hell is that racist. If you are a middle income African American you don't want your kids exposed to the inner city ghetto life. Most Blacks in the cities I mentioned live in the ghetto. NYC, Chicago, Detroit, ect. Kids are simple it will drag them down.

One day come to NYC. No way are NYC African Americans the wealthiest in the nation. Not by a longshot. There is only one middle class Black neighborhood in NYC, right on the Nassau border (Cambria Heights). However the largest Black areas are ghettos. Parts of Brooklyn (Bedstuy Brownsville Crown Heights ect), Central Harlem, Jamaica/Hollis/Saint Albans, and the North Bronx (North Bronx is all West Indian Black though). For the city with the largest Black population the country, it's hard to belive there is only one middle class Black neighborhood.
Yeah but poverty is not unique to those cities. The south is the most dangerous region in the country, so you are obvioulsy missing a few places...Every city has ghettos, dont see why you are focusing on NYC and CHI.

i didnt say your last statement was racist, I said it could be considered racist. I personally think its more ignorant than racist. My point was race has little to do if a city is crime ridden or not, it has more to do with CLASS. Ive seen ghetto white areas and well-to-do middle class black areas. Ive never been to any city with a noticable black population without BOTH ghetto black areas and good blacks areas. Its class not race.

Last edited by vader; 07-28-2007 at 03:56 PM..

Old 07-28-2007, 03:43 PM

My old neighborhood in Euclid Ohio,around 185th street which is a stones through away from Cleveland was a big mix,there is poverty,crime,wealthier people,white-trash,unclassy blacks,and also cleaner and more well behaved whites and blacks.So poverty and crime is not confined to any one race or area.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:51 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vader View Post

..But you do know Houston has the lowest housing prices for a big city. That was a big reason relatives of mine moved there. I dont think thats a bad thing but you cant deny it is realtively cheap there.
I don't deny that fact, but I'm also letting you know that it is quite expensive in some places over here.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'm sorry but globally, the rest of the world knows that the United States has three cities that are connected to the rest of the world by economy, influence, and socially. And they are New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago. Those are the only cities that are in the Alpha tier. Those are the only cities that will be alpha cities for the forseeable future.

You're putting Houston to a level it is not yet on because you're going off opinion. Others from San Francisco would say they are fourth. Bostonians would say they are fourth. Washingtonians would say they are fourth. Etc. Etc. There are too many cities that can say they are fourth and it comes down to region.

But when it comes to New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago. This is not the case.

Also, cthreex. I did not talk about Detroit in my post because my post was not intended to have Detroit named in my post.
But what you don't seem to understand is that I'm not going by your standards, GaWC's standards, or anyone else's. I'm going off my own interpretation on the grand scale of things. It's not "the most important four" or "the most popular four" it's "the big four." I'm looking at the future and quality of each city.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:01 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vader View Post
Yeah but poverty is not unique to those cities. The south is the most dangerous region in the country, so you are obvioulsy missing a few places...Every city has ghettos, dont see why you are focusing on NYC and CHI.

i didnt say your last statement was racist, I said it could be considered racist. I personally think its more ignorant than racist. My point was race has little to do if a city is crime ridden or not, it has more to do with CLASS. Ive seen ghetto white areas and well-to-do middle class black areas. Ive never been to any city with a noticable black population without BOTH ghetto black areas and good blacks areas. Its class not race.
The South's worst areas for crime are no worse then the worst areas for crime in the north. The South just has more high crime areas. I don't see your point?

The problem is those cities mentioned (someone mentioned them as the best for African Americans) are full of African Americans living in POVERTY. An African American should be aiming for at least a middle class community. Those cities do not offer that. Those cities are also among some of the most segregated. Detroit, Chicago, and NYC are among the top 5 most segregated cities for Blacks.

Aim high and you will do big things. You don't want your children draged down by ghetto poverty. A huge problem in the Black community.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
"I say so" means opinion, doesn't mean it is fact.
The Big Four are not "real", which means they are open for one's own opinion.

Quote:
Houston is large and diverse, but couldn't you say that about other cities like Boston, D.C. and San Francisco? None of those are black and white populated cities either. You could say each of those are more diverse than Houston.
Neither of those cities are as diverse as Houston.

Quote:
Houston is very large, but Houston is known for annexing suburbs which means it's city limits is huge.
And Houston is not alone. Brooklyn, annexed by NY, has added 2 million people and about 70 sq. miles to the New York name.

Quote:
You don't think Houston is cheap? It's a nice city, but think about where you live and how much your lifestyle costs. You may live in an expensive neighborhood, but that will cost you so much more in San Francisco, Boston, or D.C. in a similar tiered neighborhood.
Tell that to my bank account. Where I live is not even as bad as it gets. Condos and townhouses can around the same prices as all of those cities you mentioned.

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with Houston, it's a great city and yes it deserves to be mentioned near the top of other 2nd tiered cities. But, it's not in the same class as NYC, LA and Chicago.
That's your opinion, but it's no fact, and I don't stand alone. The truth of the matter is that Houston only lacks the tons of publicity and media that these cities receive. Aside from that, there is almost nothing that you can find in NY, LA, or CHI collectively that can't be found in Houston. It's a world capital. A business capital. It's just always flown under the radar. But that's changing. Give it a couple of decades and these conversations will no longer be necessary.

Despite lacking so much, look at how popular Atlanta is, basically due to CNN, TBS, and Coca-Cola, lol. If all of those things belonged to Houston, plus its port, medicine, space, and energy economies, Houston would be absurdly major.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:16 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Where I live is not even as bad as it gets. Condos and townhouses can around the same prices as all of those cities you mentioned.
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHA! I am sorry, but I have to laugh at that one! Somebody needs to spend some time in South Florida, New York, Chicago, San Francisco,LA, D.C, or Chicago !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.