Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2007, 06:43 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Neither of those cities are as diverse as Houston.
Washington DC is not as diverse as Houston? Are you kidding me? I'll give you Boston and maybe San Francisco. But Washington DC is just as diverse as the next city. The largest indian-asia population in America. Thousands of Ethiopians, Arabians, Iranians, and Lebanese. Largest Ghanian population in the United States. Largest Sierra Leon population in the United States. IN fact, one of the largest West African populations in the nation. It has the 3rd largest Salvadorian population in America. It also has a large Brazillian population. It is just a melting pot as Houston.

San Francisco also is diverse. A very large hispanic population, the 2nd largest oriental population after LA. The only thing you can say about San Francisco's diversity is there lack of a huge black population with them only having a little over 500,000. Other than that, they also go toe to toe with the best of them in the 2nd tier as far as diversity.

Quote:
That's your opinion, but it's no fact, and I don't stand alone. The truth of the matter is that Houston only lacks the tons of publicity and media that these cities receive. Aside from that, there is almost nothing that you can find in NY, LA, or CHI collectively that can't be found in Houston. It's a world capital. A business capital. It's just always flown under the radar. But that's changing. Give it a couple of decades and these conversations will no longer be necessary.
But you stand with a mighty fine few. Most people in the world knows that globally, socially, financially, and economically, there are three alpha cities which registers as first tier of cities amongst the United States. Houston is not even a beta city to even be mentioned with the three powerhouses of the US. There are only 3 powerhouses in all of North America and it's the three cities that we all have mentioned. It will take more than a couple of decades for Houston or any other city in America to be on their level. The only other city that has a chance to be on that level of those three in North America in the not to distant future is Toronto.

You can call it an opinion all you want. But you'll be hard pressed to find many that disagree with me by saying Houston is not on the level of those three when it comes to world cities in the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 08:31 PM

143 posts, read 870,265 times
Quote:
The South's worst areas for crime are no worse then the worst areas for crime in the north. The South just has more high crime areas. I don't see your point?

The problem is those cities mentioned (someone mentioned them as the best for African Americans) are full of African Americans living in POVERTY.
And what major city dosent?? Just because blacks live in the city dosent mean they ALL are in poverty. There are many black doctors, judges, and lawyers who CHOOSE to stay in black blue-collar areas in the city for various reasons. Many city employees are black and REQUIRED to live in the city. You are making unfounded sweeping generalizations.

Quote:
An African American should be aiming for at least a middle class community. Those cities do not offer that.
Im quite confident that most african americans are aiming for the middle class.

Quote:
Those cities are also among some of the most segregated. Detroit, Chicago, and NYC are among the top 5 most segregated cities for Blacks.
And who gives a flim-flam. You again somehow equate segregation to "low quality of life". I dont see the connection. More whites segregate themsleves than blacks and are doing just fine.

Quote:
Aim high and you will do big things. You don't want your children draged down by ghetto poverty. A huge problem in the Black community.
Id be less concerned about the poverty and more about the crime.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:24 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,541,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHA! I am sorry, but I have to laugh at that one! Somebody needs to spend some time in South Florida, New York, Chicago, San Francisco,LA, D.C, or Chicago !
What does that have to do with anything? My point is that some of the prices over here equal the prices of some other cities. Besides, some people might consider Chicago rather affordable.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:28 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,791,139 times
Quote:
What does that have to do with anything? My point is that some of the prices over here equal the prices of some other cities. Besides, some people might consider Chicago rather affordable.
It's still not affordable compared to Houston, which you claim is "as expensive as anywhere". It CAN get as expensive as anywhere, if you pile on the luxury!

Old 07-28-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Washington DC is not as diverse as Houston? Are you kidding me? I'll give you Boston and maybe San Francisco. But Washington DC is just as diverse as the next city. The largest indian-asia population in America. Thousands of Ethiopians, Arabians, Iranians, and Lebanese. Largest Ghanian population in the United States. Largest Sierra Leon population in the United States. IN fact, one of the largest West African populations in the nation. It has the 3rd largest Salvadorian population in America. It also has a large Brazillian population. It is just a melting pot as Houston.

San Francisco also is diverse. A very large hispanic population, the 2nd largest oriental population after LA. The only thing you can say about San Francisco's diversity is there lack of a huge black population with them only having a little over 500,000. Other than that, they also go toe to toe with the best of them in the 2nd tier as far as diversity.
D.C. may be very close, but I doubt that it's as diverse as Houston. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't count on it.

Quote:
But you stand with a mighty fine few. Most people in the world knows that globally, socially, financially, and economically, there are three alpha cities which registers as first tier of cities amongst the United States. Houston is not even a beta city to even be mentioned with the three powerhouses of the US. There are only 3 powerhouses in all of North America and it's the three cities that we all have mentioned. It will take more than a couple of decades for Houston or any other city in America to be on their level. The only other city that has a chance to be on that level of those three in North America in the not to distant future is Toronto.

You can call it an opinion all you want. But you'll be hard pressed to find many that disagree with me by saying Houston is not on the level of those three when it comes to world cities in the United States.
You must be reading impaired, because I could have sworn that I said I do not follow certain standards. And you cannot speak for most people, seeing as how most people in this country probably can't point New York out on a map, let alone be aware of all these facts. The thoughts of City-Data do not represent the thoughts of the U.S. You can try to "teach" me all you want, but my opinion is a valid one and it remains unswayed. I could sit here and explain my points until you understood, but you've never been one open to a different way of looking at things.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
It's still not affordable compared to Houston, which you claim is "as expensive as anywhere". It CAN get as expensive as anywhere, if you pile on the luxury!
In general, Houston is very affordable, but parts of it are very similar to any other place...but why I'm I explaining myself to someone who doesn't even live here? It's not as if you know what you're talking about, so why do I bother...

Old 07-28-2007, 10:05 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
[quote=mpope409;1163174]
Quote:
D.C. may be very close, but I doubt that it's as diverse as Houston. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't count on it.
Well I'm telling you that it is. DC is just as diverse as Houston.

Quote:
You must be reading impaired
My reading is fine. Let's not throw around insults. The moment that continues is the moment I will kill the conversation right then and there.

Quote:
because I could have sworn that I said I do not follow certain standards. And you cannot speak for most people, seeing as how most people in this country probably can't point New York out on a map, let alone be aware of all these facts. The thoughts of City-Data do not represent the thoughts of the U.S. You can try to "teach" me all you want, but my opinion is a valid one and it remains unswayed. I could sit here and explain my points until you understood, but you've never been one open to a different way of looking at things.
You are following a standard. Your standard is being very biased towards Houston ignoring the other credibilities out there given out by people that will tell you about the different tiers of cities in the United States. I'm not speaking for most people. I'm speaking in general that you will find it hard pressed to find anyone to agree with you that Houston is America's fourth city or Houston is on the level of the top three alpha based cities. You just simply will.

Also, I'm always open to different way of looking at things. I'm not a very biased individual. I know that every cities have cons and I know that every city has pros. But I'm not going to say that Houston is on the level of Chicago, New York, and Los Angeles when it's simply not there yet.

Old 07-29-2007, 03:01 PM

762 posts, read 1,741,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vader View Post
Not all Northern cities are like NY. There may be pockets of Mexicans but most of the tradtional north comprises of blacks and whites. Its hard to come by Mexicans in many northern cities compared to the growing (i.e. annexing) ones in the south.
You are way off about this - we have a huge amount of Mexicans here in NYC! Puerto Ricans might be the predominant group of Hispanics here (it has long been acknowledged that there are more Puertoriqueños in NYC than in Puerto Rico), but Mexicans are here in huge numbers. Of course not as many as are in San Diego or Texas, but... you are quite incorrect in assuming Mexicans are just here in little "pockets." I know there are Mexicans in Chicago too, and other northern cities.

Old 07-29-2007, 07:59 PM

699 posts, read 2,228,369 times
Quote:
D.C. is the capital. Do you know how many diplomats from every country in the world is there? With their families? With all the different diverse businesses that they bring to the D.C. metro? All the Embassies?

I'm not talking about overall black, white, asian, latin american. I'm talking about every single country, whether it be from South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, etc. etc.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:01 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,625,049 times
He didn't say New York didn't have a large population of mexicans.He siad not all north cities are like NY,he siad most of them are black and white cities.He never did say that NYC didn't have a presence of Hispanics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.