Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2007, 09:08 PM

11 posts, read 34,412 times

Advertisements

I had to laugh. Houston is a great city, but trying to put it on the same level as NYC is like trying to equate a house cat and a tiger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 09:58 PM

435 posts, read 1,520,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vader View Post
So lemme guess, your with a white women..
I never got that phenominom. Black men salavate over white chicks. I mean, that's cool and all (Halle Berry, mmmm), but personally, I have yet to see a Black man with either a smoking Latina or Asian. And then there's all these hot Black women complaining how they can't find no men.

Heh, I guess I'm going to end up creating a multi-rcail family of my own.....

Old 08-27-2007, 03:15 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,746 times
Thanks Explorer_girl. I am also looking to move from this city as well. And I also have a degree. Good luck.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:32 PM

143 posts, read 873,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalove View Post
I just want to point out two things in response to your statement:

1. Poverty breeds crime and comes from poor education and employment opportunities. In order to eradicate crime, we must increase our educational standards all over this country and provide jobs for those educated and skilled people who want to work. Without doing these things, we will continue to see poverty and thus more crime. That having been said, we should be more concerned with poverty and our public school educational system.

2. Segregation can be good or bad but it really depends on the situation, location and its overall effects on a population. Self-segregation may help a particular group but it will surely have negative or adverse effects on the population it has segregated itself from. This also depends on the location. In the south, namely places in Atlanta or suburbs of Atlanta, segregation does not equal a lower quality of life for blacks. However, this cannot be compared to northern cities particularly New York as we have very few middle class black suburbs in the north. Here in NYC and other Northern cities, segregation (self or otherwise) adversely affects us.

3. Lastly, you seem to believe in error that there is a large population of wealty blacks living in the NYC area. (I gather this from another statement you've made). This is false. There are some, but the majority of blacks living in NYC are working middle class or working poor. Because the reality is, while our salaries look good on paper, when you compare it to our cost of living and cost of ownership, it leaves a paltry number of wealthy blacks and homeowners.

The fact is, a home in the 'hood, sometimes, a fixer upper costs anywhere from 800k-2mil. That is not the case for places like Atlanta or Houston where that price range will garner you a beautiful fantastic home in a stately suburb. Secondly, homes in NYC that cost this much are often not purchased by black middle class workers because frankly they cost too damn much, and why would you purchase a home in the hood for that amount and still have to put your children through school in a poor school district etc. I could go on and on. Most but not all, blacks owning homes in NYC, owned them since the 1960s-1980s when home prices were reasonable. And now that the property values have gone up, they are simply cashing in and moving away from NYC.

Like citychik said, the majority of wealthy blacks have long since moved to wealthy suburbs in Westchester or Long Island. There are some that maintain homes in the city, but then have their larger homes/estates elsewhere, but this is again, few and far between.

This NY fantasy that people have really needs to cease.
Im sure you may know more on the issue than I do so you may be right, I think I overestimated how many blacks actually OWNED real estate in NY because the housing values alone wouldve make them wealther than most others.. I personally dont like mega cities like NY anyway. I think overall the original article for best cities seems about accurate.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:18 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,746 times
I understand vader. It would appear that way, I'm sure. I personally know relatives and other black families that own property here in NYC. However, 95% of them purchased property back in 1960s-1980s. So, now their property values have gone up of course. However, when they purchased homes, the prices were a lot lower than now.

Many homeowners here in the city, black, white, asian and latino etc. are selling and laughing all the way to the bank! Many are moving somewhere else (south, midwest, west) where they can afford to own a home and still have money left over. So, I'm sure that it definitely appears that way.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:01 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
I never got that phenomenon. Black men salivate over white chicks. I mean, that's cool and all (Halle Berry, mmmm), but personally, I have yet to see a Black man with either a smoking Latina or Asian. And then there's all these hot Black women complaining how they can't find no men.

Heh, I guess I'm going to end up creating a multi-racial family of my own.....
Sorry to tell you this, but many of them just don't like black men. Not to sound racist, but many Asian, Indian, and non-ghetto Latina women would rather advance socially by being w/ a white guy than any other race (that includes their own). And seeing how many black men are perceived today by the media, they (including...or especially...the most non-stereotypical of black men) will be overlooked and despised. It's happening on a daily basis in my University. And if this is the glimpse of the future, it isn't going to be a very good one for black guys, especially the more modest ones. Hopefully, this is just the case in the Northeastern US.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:37 PM

5 posts, read 46,631 times
Thumbs down Houston Is Demented

I am absolutely shocked about the comments on houston. I really think

some of you people are still living in 1978! I unfortunately moved my retired

parents here from california because most of my relatives live here. They kind

of hesitated but decided it was best, they also HATE IT. Excellent quality of

life for blacks? No! A very important city? What's so important about this sick

city! good weather? Hell No! falling in line with N.Y, Chicago, L.A? NEVER!!

more like charleston, montgomery, nashville. There is racism in every state

but this takes the cake. What is wrong with you people here in houston!!

confederate belt buckles, t-shirts, and flags right in the middle of a city and

in your face disrespecting you left and right! where is the naacp, black

muslims, urban league, mega black churches! People are always walking

around in a daze staring at people like someone is from outer space. You

are the ones from outer space not the people from the west or east coast!

I. will. never. understand. this. sick. demented. backward. perverted.

redneck. pick-uptruck. place. I will pray for my relatives to run for their lives

and DIE to get my parents OUT OF HERE!! The same goes for dallas and san

antonio. HORRIBLE

Old 01-30-2008, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 4,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
X Raleigh-Durham because there's not enough to do.

X Washington, D.C. because it is not a real city, and I found it dull.

So to me, that leaves Atlanta at number one, because it's the cornerstone for Black mainstream culture, and Houston because it's the biggest and sits amongst the roots of Black culture. Plus, there is where you will see some of the best dressed Blacks around lol.

I'm surprised New York didn't make the top four. That city is great for Blacks or anybody for that matter.
I currently live in Minneapolis, MN and I absolutely hate it!! born and raised here, Ive always had plans on relocating to the south. Atlanta was my 1st choice for 2007 to move to but its so big and traffic is crazy and its next to impossible to get a job without knowing someone down there. My choice for 2008 has changed to Houston because I enjoyed the city the few times I went and the weather conditions are definitely agreeable to me but I spoke to my friend that currently lives there and she explained to me that since hurricaine Katrina and the infiltration of New Orleans natives into the city, places that were once nice are now corrupt and the crime activities have gone for the city.....so since you seem the most knowledgeable, I was wondering which of these cities would be the best to relocate to??

Old 01-30-2008, 10:54 AM

197 posts, read 261,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek girl View Post
I am absolutely shocked about the comments on houston. I really think

some of you people are still living in 1978! I unfortunately moved my retired

parents here from california because most of my relatives live here. They kind

of hesitated but decided it was best, they also HATE IT. Excellent quality of

life for blacks? No! A very important city? What's so important about this sick

city! good weather? Hell No! falling in line with N.Y, Chicago, L.A? NEVER!!

more like charleston, montgomery, nashville. There is racism in every state

but this takes the cake. What is wrong with you people here in houston!!

confederate belt buckles, t-shirts, and flags right in the middle of a city and

in your face disrespecting you left and right! where is the naacp, black

muslims, urban league, mega black churches! People are always walking

around in a daze staring at people like someone is from outer space. You

are the ones from outer space not the people from the west or east coast!

I. will. never. understand. this. sick. demented. backward. perverted.

redneck. pick-uptruck. place. I will pray for my relatives to run for their lives

and DIE to get my parents OUT OF HERE!! The same goes for dallas and san

antonio. HORRIBLE
First off, Houston is not anywhere near what you described and neither is San Antonio or Dallas. Sure you may have described some of the suburbs that surround these places but you have to remember that a small town in Texas is a rather large town relative to many other states (and trust me, there are a LOT of small towns!) Sure there are lots of wealthy African-Americans (and I am sure this group is growing), but there is still a very small percentage of them.

On average African-Americans people make less than Caucasian people, but the sunbelt cities (Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, etc.) are the cities where African-American people (along with other races) can get more for their money, which is an important factor when faced with a lower salary. DC, being the exception, is also on the top of the list because its a major city with a majority African-American population and the average salaries (and the cost of living) are greater than those of the sunbelt cities.

By the way, there are more than a few things that are important about Houston: Business, medicine, and oil. This is why it is a leader of the second tier. However, Atlanta wins in the best for African-American department. (I think this is because there is a heavier focus on African-American culture as it is a majority African-American city.)

Also, I do believe in "The Big 3." Houston is not part of this (and probably won't be for a long while-if ever.) 'Tis true that everyone knows NYC, LA and Chicago, but after that things start to get fuzzy, because of the mismatch between metropolitan (statistical area, MSA) population and the population of the largest city in that MSA. On occasion, I have asked my pseudo-Bostonian colleagues to name the top 10 cities by population. Too often they stop after Chicago or say Dallas is 4th. (I think once Houston secures this 4th metropolitan spot, which will take a little while as Dallas' MSA contains another major city, Houston will be significantly more recognized.)

Lastly, what's with pointing the finger sister? I feel like you are the one with the judgement complex... That said, it's quite possible you are living in a stereotype mentality sweetheart. (Just because someone's from LA I don't think they are orange and have fake boobs and just because someone is from NYC I don't think they're rude and are rich either.) You need to shake it off.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:23 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Sorry to tell you this, but many of them just don't like black men. Not to sound racist, but many Asian, Indian, and non-ghetto Latina women would rather advance socially by being w/ a white guy than any other race (that includes their own). And seeing how many black men are perceived today by the media, they (including...or especially...the most non-stereotypical of black men) will be overlooked and despised. It's happening on a daily basis in my University. And if this is the glimpse of the future, it isn't going to be a very good one for black guys, especially the more modest ones. Hopefully, this is just the case in the Northeastern US.
You're crazy. I've dated some very attractive Latina and Asian women. Black men always have and always will attract women of other ethnic backgrounds. I know some white guys think otherwise, but if yall really knew the truth and actually knew how many white, Asian American, and Latina women have been with black men, you would be surprised. Besides, a lot of latina women are at least partly descended from African ancestors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.