U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2007, 11:42 PM

28 posts, read 85,500 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in west central Illinois. We have a 17 month old son and are looking for a nice place to relocate to. I absolutely hate the winters here, I'd prefer a much milder or warmer climate.. however, most of our family lives in the Chicago area. We are thinking about moving up there just because there is much more to do there, better jobs, etc. So first of all I'd like to know about the best suburbs/neighborhoods in that area to raise a family. However, we're also interested in anywhere that has a relatively low cost of living, plentiful job opportunities, good schools, and is somewhat close to a big city. We were looking into Vegas because I love the weather, but I was reading on the Vegas forums and it didn't look like a very kid-friendly place to live (even though I've seen lots of children's activities there for visitors). Also, we were interested in Cedar City & St. George, Utah, and Portland, Oregon. Can anyone tell me about those areas? We are still in college and aren't making very good money right now. Would Portland be too expensive. Any suggestions and information would be great. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 12:24 AM

1,486 posts, read 4,028,308 times
Go somewhere with the best schools in the country - New England. Everything else is just fluff.

Avoid the Southwest and especially Vegas! That area of the country has some of the worst schools in the nation.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:54 AM

206 posts, read 870,572 times
I agree w/ Irwin. Vegas does not have good schools (I have some friends w/ kids that live there). Portland is fairly expensive, some of the outlying areas are cheaper, but you have to be careful about the schools. I've been to St. George, I wouldn't choose to live there, too conservative for me. Good luck to you.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:35 AM

3,042 posts, read 8,089,852 times
Charleston SC is the best place, Brattleboro VT, Birmingham ala, Beaufort SC

Old 04-18-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
Charleston SC is the best place, Brattleboro VT, Birmingham ala, Beaufort SC
How so? What are the prices, people, & schools like?

Old 04-18-2007, 10:42 AM

3,042 posts, read 8,089,852 times
the schools are great, both private and public schools. the colleges and universities in the area are wonderful and diverse. Prices are good for taxes in SC, housing is ok-someplaces more someplaces yes, good weather, safe suburbs, lots of cultural and outdoor amenities and activities, and the people are the most friendly and neigbhorly--is names the friendly place in the US

this is Charleston SC

Old 04-18-2007, 10:54 AM

653 posts, read 3,132,971 times
I live in Henderson (Las Vegas). Schools out here in general DO NOT have a good reputation. However, if a child is intent on learning, an education is certainly attainable here in Las Vegas. For what it's worth, a lot of the schools are new or newer. My sister and her husband live in St. George Utah. It is getting VERY expensive to live there. This due in part to the influx of Californians to that locale. The Morman culture can be an issue for some that relocate there. I cannot comment on how St. George schools are. I personally would have NO desire to reside in ST. George. It is however, a most beautiful area with nice weather. Summers are hot, winters fairly mild. So many people "Put Down" Las Vegas. Truth is, other than the strip and the gambling, it is like many other American cities. People raise families, work their jobs, pay their mortgages, worship, recreate, and go about their daily lives. Sure Las Vegas has it's faults and it's problems. So does everyplace else, be it the largest city in California or the smallest village in Iowa.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:41 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,383,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
the schools are great, both private and public schools. the colleges and universities in the area are wonderful and diverse. Prices are good for taxes in SC, housing is ok-someplaces more someplaces yes, good weather, safe suburbs, lots of cultural and outdoor amenities and activities, and the people are the most friendly and neigbhorly--is names the friendly place in the US

this is Charleston SC
I agree with CJ, Charleston is a great area. What he said is true. I'd throw in Charlotte, NC as well. Sunny 4-season climate, strong economy, good colleges, good suburban schools (public and private), great people, clean/green, lively uptown, good recreational assets, affordable.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:19 AM

531 posts, read 1,865,546 times
I have lived in both CT and NC. I prefer NC anyday over CT.

The schools here in the Charlotte area have been excellent to us. The schools in CT ignored my son's problems like they did not even exsist! They gave him no help at all! NC has gone above and beyond with him and is helping him succeed for the first time!

My taxes now are about 1/4 of what I was paying in the CT. My property tax in CT was almost $4000 and in NC a bigger house and more land is only$1000! My car taxes have gone from $1200 in CT to under $400 in NC! Hubby has same kind of work in both CT and NC and makes more in NC?!? My electricity and water bills are cheaper in NC than it ever was in CT!

The people are much more friendly in NC. People really make you feel at home here. Gas is a few cents cheaper here than in the N.E. I do not have to shovel snow. Airport is close enough so I can go back and visit family and friends.

I can go on for hours over the differences. I am sure someone will not agree with me, but that is ok. This has been my personal observations. Bottom line...I would not want to live anywhere else!

Old 04-19-2007, 11:33 AM

Thanks for the input everyone. We will look into those areas.

But for right now, we've realized that we don't think we can handle being so far away from family, while we're just starting out and have a young child. I know people that have moved halfway across the country and are very lonely. So right now we're looking into Naperville, IL. It's about 3 hours away from where we live now, and I have tons of family all over Chicagoland (mostly in the west and northwest suburbs). But we don't know if we can afford it. I have read about it in the Illinois forums and I've visited a few times.. it seems to ve a very nice place. Does anyone know of any assistance programs there or cheaper housing/apartments?

I did a job search for that area and realized that tons of them only pay $8-14 an hour. Obviously, someone's got to do those jobs.. and if those people can afford it there, then we should be able to also, right? (I'm a medical assistant and only make $13/hr. currently, but I'm going to school online for medical office management). Any input, please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or