U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 01:48 PM

11 posts, read 27,399 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a 22 year old guy from Ireland. I've been very fortunate in the sense that when I left university I walked straight in to a job in a small, ambitious company. I've been working there now for a year and a month. Unfortunately I don't enjoy it that much, the hours are above average on a normal day but every month usually involves crazy 12-14 hour days at least twice and that frequency seems to be increasing. Also, I'm not on that much money, but the little I get I don't have a chance to spend because the company absorbs your life. I've taken Skype calls until midnight on a weekday and support calls at weekends too on more than one occasion.

What is making things worse is my peers are all talking about going different places all over the world or other great, enjoyable things. I also talk to people in their 30s and 40s and they tell me stories of their youth and what they were doing after uni/college - about seeing the world and experiencing new cultures.

Call it a very early mid life crisis (perhaps a quarter life crisis) but I'm worried I'll wake up one day in my 30s or 40s and go "****...really should have done more enjoyable stuff when I had the chance". So, on that note...

...I've decided I would love to live in the US for possibly a year, but even 6 months if a year is unfeasible. I'd love to hear recommendations about where would be best to live and work for a year. I'm quite skilled in IT (managed servers and networks etc...) and audio technology (recording studios etc...) and can play piano quite well, composing in my spare time (that's my ultimate job: film composer). I haven't thought about what I would do but I'd be open to anything. Preferably something not too serious so I could actually experience the country and meet new people.

Where would be the best place for a foreigner to look for a job? Are there any websites people could recommend?

I'd be glad to hear from any Americans or people who've done something similar. Initially the West Coast appeals to me quite a lot, like Portland, Oregon but I'd be happy in most places.

Looking forward to the responses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 02:06 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,939,859 times
Do you have a work visa? That's your first issue. Your second issue is that most of the world is in recession and it's not easy to get a job anywhere right now. Even if you have a visa, your work experience is not enough to entice an employer to hire you from overseas. There are unemployed IT people everywhere. Why would someone hire a 22 year old from another country? It's nothing against you personally. It's just a risk that few employers would consider in the current market.

As you're still young, your best bet might be to bum around for 6 months to a year. Maybe waiting tables (under the table) to keep you in food and beer. Life frugally, explore the country and have a good time.

You might also consider an internship or going to school. Some place like Berklee in Boston (http://www.berklee.edu/)? I know they teach film scoring.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Do you have a work visa? That's your first issue. Your second issue is that most of the world is in recession and it's not easy to get a job anywhere right now. Even if you have a visa, your work experience is not enough to entice an employer to hire you from overseas. There are unemployed IT people everywhere. Why would someone hire a 22 year old from another country? It's nothing against you personally. It's just a risk that few employers would consider in the current market.

As you're still young, your best bet might be to bum around for 6 months to a year. Maybe waiting tables (under the table) to keep you in food and beer. Life frugally, explore the country and have a good time.

You might also consider an internship or going to school. Some place like Berklee in Boston (BERKLEE | Berklee College of Music)? I know they teach film scoring.
Thanks for the response tpk-nyc. The recession is certainly on my mind...even for leaving my current job, never mind the country, but I'm that miserable in it that it's actually come to this: leaving my job in a recession.

I looked at the education route but it isn't viable. Tuition fees for non-US students are approx $5-6,000 per semester! On top of that, you're not allowed to work in the US when you are studying...it's one or the other so that simply isn't an option.

As for Berklee, you need to be a musical prodigy and wealthy to get in there. I know a guy from here in there and he's a genius on guitar but can barely afford to live there. He got some funding from the Arts Council here, performed some fund raiser concerts in his school and works flat out June-August when he's back in Ireland. Unfortunately he's going to have to cut it short but at least he has 2 years of Berklee on his CV.

I really just wanted to bum around for a year with no stress. I've already saved up a bit of money that could do me about 3 months comfortably or 5 months rough. Just my luck I decide to do this when there's a recession!

Old 07-10-2009, 10:08 PM

2,317 posts, read 6,887,325 times
Check out this...

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=73713

This is very feasible for you. Just make sure you have enough money saved up for when you get here.

I'd also recommend Seattle over Portland because the job market is better, and you'll still have easy train access to Vancouver and Portland for visiting, plus I personally think the Seattle area is richer in natural beauty than the Portland area, while others might contend they're fairly equal.

Good luck. I myself might end up in Ireland for a year with this program!

Old 07-13-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Check out this...

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=73713

This is very feasible for you. Just make sure you have enough money saved up for when you get here.

I'd also recommend Seattle over Portland because the job market is better, and you'll still have easy train access to Vancouver and Portland for visiting, plus I personally think the Seattle area is richer in natural beauty than the Portland area, while others might contend they're fairly equal.

Good luck. I myself might end up in Ireland for a year with this program!
Seattle!? I want to get away from the rain and grey clouds! Only joking!

Yeah, Seattle looks like a cool place, there's a great music scene there and one of my fav bands (Maktub) are from Seattle. Is it not a very expensive place to live though?

Thanks for the website link. I live in Northern Ireland so technically I'm British but we've got dual citizenship so we can hold either a British or Irish passport. Perhaps that will make me eligible for that scheme.

I'll keep looking in to this but any other comments would be very welcome.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:10 AM

3,277 posts, read 4,615,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranCrisko View Post

Yeah, Seattle looks like a cool place, there's a great music scene there and one of my fav bands (Maktub) are from Seattle. Is it not a very expensive place to live though?

Thanks for the website link. I live in Northern Ireland so technically I'm British but we've got dual citizenship so we can hold either a British or Irish passport. Perhaps that will make me eligible for that scheme.

It's expensive relative to other cities, but not incredibly so. You could swing a small flat for between $700-$1000/mo. Don't know about other expenses.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:

If you wanna get away from the grey and rain then Portland isn't the place either!

But really Seattle is a bit expensive compared to Portland. Goods are generally less expensive in Oregon than in Washington also, and they also have a sales tax that Oregon does not have. But still the cost of living and good is not near as expensive as LA or San Fran, for example.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:11 PM

Thanks for all the info and advice, people.

Bad news about the Irish exchange, backdrifter. I'm out of my course over a year (by only 1 month!) and they said I'm not eligible for their exchange. I think I'll keep looking on my own for something.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the info and advice, people.

Bad news about the Irish exchange, backdrifter. I'm out of my course over a year (by only 1 month!) and they said I'm not eligible for their exchange. I think I'll keep looking on my own for something.
Oh man, I'm sorry to hear about that! I hope you can work something out.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Oh man, I'm sorry to hear about that! I hope you can work something out.
Thanks man...here's hoping!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.