U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:13 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,810,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert.t.malone View Post
What's housing like? Is it all condos and lofts, or are there townhouses/homes for sale in the same area?

Crime? I've heard good and bad about South Beach. I've been to Miami, but it has been a long time.
In South Beach, there's a mix of housing that is mostly multi-family. There are some single family houses but they can be very expensive. There are also some townhouses but they are not nearly as common as apartments or condos.

Crime is tricky question. I say that because of the way that crime is reported statistically. That is to say that crime stats are measured against the full time residents of the city and not the reality of the numbers of people there. So, although there are 6 million visitors a year to Miami Beach and tens of thousands of seasonal residents, all crimes are reported against the city's 90,000 full time residents. At any given moment, my guess is that Miami Beach is "housing" 200,000+ people.
I have lived in Miami Beach for 8 years and have not been a victim of a crime. I walk streets alone late at night often and have never had a problem. Most South Beach residents live on the Bay (West) side while most tourists are on the Ocean (East) side. My take on it is that a large majority of crime is tourist on tourist on the East side. Personally, I have never felt unsafe or in danger on the West side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 08:30 AM

23,104 posts, read 35,052,903 times
Quote:
A walkable neighborhood should have some, if not all, of the following within walking distance.

Parks (usually several parks, dog parks is a plus, and must be safe(r))
Schools (preferably elementary and middle schools)
Grocery Stores (preferably a big chain and a smaller health food store)
Movie Theatre (preferably Regal/AMC)
Restaurants/Bars (preferably not fast food, but unique dining/mainstream chains)
Fitness Center (YMCA or something)
Shopping (preferably stores like Urban Outfitter, American Apparel, Anthropologie, J Crew, etc.)
Coffey Shops
Cafes
Drug Store
Book Store

Now I know it’s a lot to ask, but my fiancé and I are looking for this utopian place to live, work, and play.

Can your city give this to us?

We are up for any city, but in order to meet this criteria it will likely have to be a bit large. Now we are willing to compromise and some of the things listed above, so long as its within a short drive (no longer than 20 – 30 minutes).
It sounds like you are describing Atlantic Station in Midtown Atlanta. It has all of the things that you are looking for.

www.atlanticstation.com

Old 07-08-2009, 08:47 AM

19 posts, read 28,728 times
Is that Buckhead? I have been to that Ikea. The area was very nice. How are the schools? I've heard private schooling is the only real option? I don't have kids yet, but my fiance and I want to somewhat settle down in the coming years and try having children. So, a good school nearby is a priority.

I would also venture a guess that crime is very low in Midtown. Something similar to Knoxville.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:41 AM

10,630 posts, read 23,421,599 times
You can find all of that (except for the middle school, but that's not too far away) in the Uptown neighborhood of Minneapolis.

Pasadena, CA, has that, too, although the cost of of living is higher than in Minneapolis (although the winters are a lot nicer!). So, too, do plenty of neighborhoods in NYC and SF, but of course they are even more expensive, but then again, I don't know your budget.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:57 AM

Assume money is no object..well, assume I could afford a nice place in NY and SF.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:26 AM

10,630 posts, read 23,421,599 times
With no budget, or at least a comfortable budget, I'd personally go with somewhere in NYC. It's about as utopian as you can get (in this country, at least) for having everything you could want within easy walking distance, especially if you can afford a really great neighborhood. As to specific neighborhood, well, you'd have tons of options, and could narrow it down even more by what kind of housing you want, demographics, overall vibe, proximity to favorite destinations, etc. There are some great public schools in NYC, too, and of course if you can afford a nice place there you would also have many great private schools as options.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:43 AM

23,104 posts, read 35,052,903 times
Quote:
Is that Buckhead? I have been to that Ikea. The area was very nice. How are the schools? I've heard private schooling is the only real option? I don't have kids yet, but my fiance and I want to somewhat settle down in the coming years and try having children. So, a good school nearby is a priority.

I would also venture a guess that crime is very low in Midtown. Something similar to Knoxville.
No, it's West Midtown, it abuts lower Buckhead on the northern edge.
However, if schools are a priority, I would recommend Decatur. It has everything on your list within walking distance except a movie theatre (which you can access by train).

Old 07-08-2009, 11:47 AM

5,522 posts, read 12,290,708 times
In Chicago the most walkable neighborhoods are:

Streeterville, Lincoln Park, and Lakeview.

All are pricey neighborhoods with low crime, restaurants, bookstores, bars, etc. Public schools in Chicago are unreliable, so private schools are a necessity for most. Streeterville is almost exclusively highrises, while LP and LV are a mix of high-rise, low-rise, and (expensive) SFHs.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:58 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,150,737 times
Downtown:
East Town
Westown
Yankee Hill
Historic Third Ward

East Side:
Lower East Side
Upper East Side
Murray Hill
Northpoint
Lake Park
Downer Woods
Riverside Park
Brewer's Hill*
Riverwest*

Near West Side:
Avenues West
University Hill

Near South Side:
Bay View
Walker's Point
Historic Mitchell Street
Lincoln Village

* = located west of the Milwaukee River

Old 07-08-2009, 03:03 PM

How's Soho - Uptown? I have heard it is great for artists. Since it's close to NYU is it a younger demographic? What's the upper West Side like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or