U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:33 PM

3,277 posts, read 4,615,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert.t.malone View Post
How's Soho - Uptown? I have heard it is great for artists. Since it's close to NYU is it a younger demographic? What's the upper West Side like?
SoHo used to be good for artists. I doubt you'll find many there anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 03:36 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,507,137 times
Quote:
How's Soho - Uptown? I have heard it is great for artists. Since it's close to NYU is it a younger demographic? What's the upper West Side like?
SoHo is not Uptown, it's near Lower Manhattan (SoHo stands for South of Houston St; pronounced "How-ston", not like the city). It's a beautiful area located near Little Italy and Greenwich Village and of course Downtown. It is very close to the Village, which is where NYU is, so there are plenty of young people in the area. When I visited my friend at NYU a few years ago, we walked over to Greenich Village through SoHo, it's awesome. If you can afford SoHo, you won't find too many areas which are better and offer more.

That said, when I told you to expect at least $3m for a 3 bedroom place in Boston, expect over $4m-$5m for one in SoHo.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:18 PM

19 posts, read 28,720 times
tMac, I was responding to the person who posted about NYC. His user name had uptown in it. But ya, from what I've seen Soho looks amazing. Thanks for your input, again.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:19 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,048,152 times
My neighborhood, Highland Park in St. Paul would seem to fit the bill. Using your list, within a mile of my house are:
Parks (usually several parks, dog parks is a plus, and must be safe(r)) a Minneapolis city park with dog park on the banks of the Mississippi River about a mile; a large St Paul city park with public golf course, about a mile. A private college with a large, beautiful campus that is open to the public and is 4 blocks, great place to take a stroll, feed the ducks or play frisbee with the dog.
Schools (preferably elementary and middle schools) public elementary school: 1 block, Catholic school, 3 blocks. Junior high, about 1 1/2 mile, bus available; excellent charter school (elem & high) about 3 miles, bus available; non-religious private grade/high school, about a mile.
Grocery Stores (preferably a big chain and a smaller health food store) one upscale chain store and a health food co-op
Movie Theatre (preferably Regal/AMC) theater is 4 blocks (sorry, not your preferred brand, it's an independent.) Another independent is about 1 1/2 miles away.
Restaurants/Bars (preferably not fast food, but unique dining/mainstream chains) Chains = Noodles & Co, Old Country Buffet 4 blocks; non-chains = local upscale diner, 3 blocks, local bistro, 2 blocks, local pub/grub type place, 4 blocks; tavern that serves food, 2 blocks, upscale casual Northern Italian, 6 blocks, upscale Italian, 7 blocks, gourmet pizza, 2 blocks
Fitness Center (YMCA or something) 2 commercial fitness center, 3 blocks and 5 blocks
Shopping (preferably stores like Urban Outfitter, American Apparel, Anthropologie, J Crew, etc.) Sorry, you'd have to go to the burbs to find these stores. Mall of America is a 10 minute drive or a 20 minute bus/train ride.
Coffey Shops: (we spell it "coffee" here ) Starbucks 4 blocks; Caribou 5 blocks to one, 7 blocks to another; independent coffee shops, 3 blocks, 9 blocks and 10 blocks; several more within a 2 mile radius.
Cafes (see restaurants/bars)
Drug Store 4 blocks to local chain, 5 blocks to independent, 9 blocks to Walgreen's
Book Store Barnes & Noble, 4 blocks; used book store 3 blocks.

Also, you didn't mention them, but the public library is 4 blocks, the city recreation center (with ice rink in the winter!) is 4 blocks, numerous medical clinics and dental offices are within 6 blocks, 3 banks as well as KFC and Dairy Queen are within 4 blocks. 3 liquor stores within 8 blocks.

Housing is mixed, from very expensive homes to middle income homes, to condos to lots of apartments (some in classic 1920s buildings, others more modern. Transit is great (for the twin Cities) with bus service 20 hours a day, 7 days a week, express service to downtown Mpls. and short ride to the LRT station.

Like you, we value walkable neighborhoods and deliberately chose this one because of its walkability. There are few other neighborhoods in the Twin Cities I would live in.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:45 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,507,137 times
Quote:
tMac, I was responding to the person who posted about NYC. His user name had uptown in it.
Ohhh haha my bad.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:27 PM

19 posts, read 28,720 times
Default No biggie tmac

How cold does it get in St. Paul?

Is it 6 months of 30 degree weather?

Old 07-08-2009, 10:19 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,415,082 times
Sorry to cause the Uptown confusion! (and my "uptown" is referring to the Uptown in Minneapolis). Yeah, SoHo is great, although I doubt many artists can afford the rent there. Anywhere around there is going to be very walkable, have great restaurants, etc. My personal favorite is the East Village, though. If I had the money I'd buy myself a place there, although there is also much to be said about being farther uptown and within walking distance of Central Park. There are some nice dog parks in the East Village, too. If you're interested in considering NYC - or if you just want a really fun city vacation - consider just taking a visit. In Manhattan you can walk for miles and keep moving from one nice, interesting neighborhood to the next. I don't live in NYC but used to spend a lot of time there - always figured I'd end up there in the end, but haven't yet. Maybe in retirement.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:03 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,048,152 times
Quote:
How cold does it get in St. Paul?

Is it 6 months of 30 degree weather?
Pretty darn cold in January and February especially. Every 2 or 3 years you'll encounter a day or two when the temp doesn't exceed 0 for 24 hours. We also get a "January thaw" most years when the temp hits the 50s. I can recall 30-degree overnight temperatures as early as October and as late as May.

Unlike your area of the country, the tempreatures fluctuate a lot. That means the averages are less meaningful than they are in states closer to the coasts. Also, we get a surprising (to me anyway, lived in NY and FL before moving to this neck of the woods) amount of clear sunny days all winter long. Most people under age 90 here don't use the cold as an excuse to stay indoors.

I like it here, especially because of my neighborhood. Of the 10 cities I have lived in, St. Paul is tied for #1.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:42 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,961,450 times
Montclair, New Jersey has one of the best downtown's of it's size IMO.

Safe Parks - Dog Park- Check
Schools (preferably elementary and middle schools)- Check
Grocery Stores (preferably a big chain and a smaller health food store) Check
Movie Theatre (preferably Regal/AMC) Check
Restaurants/Bars (preferably not fast food, but unique dining/mainstream chains) Check
Fitness Center (YMCA or something) Check
Shopping (preferably stores like Urban Outfitter, American Apparel, Anthropologie, J Crew, etc.) Check
Coffee Shops Check
Cafes Check
Drug Store Check
Book Store Check

Old 07-09-2009, 02:10 PM

56,595 posts, read 80,890,793 times
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westcott,_Syracuse
Westcott
Westcott Street Cultural Fair
Welcome to The Westcott
University Hill, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (right next to Westcott)
Marshall Street - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
University Neighborhood, Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (also adjacent as well)
Edward Smith School Online Library Catalog (http://www.youseemore.com/scsd/school.asp?schooltype=es&branch=45 - broken link)
Levy Pre-K-8 (http://www.scsd.us/~Levy/levyindex.htm - broken link)

Another one:
Eastwood, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Walkable Eastwood
The Palace Theatre & Cafe
Blessed Sacrament School
Huntington Home (http://www.scsd.us/~Huntington/Huntington%20Home.html - broken link)

This would work too:
Village Of Fayetteville - Home
COR Companies | Towne Center at Fayetteville, Fayetteville NY
East Area Family YMCA - YMCA of Greater Syracuse
FAYETTEVILLE-MANLIUS SCHOOLS (very good school district)
Fayetteville, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or