U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 06:27 PM

19 posts, read 28,733 times

Advertisements

A walkable neighborhood should have some, if not all, of the following within walking distance.

Parks (usually several parks, dog parks is a plus, and must be safe(r))
Schools (preferably elementary and middle schools)
Grocery Stores (preferably a big chain and a smaller health food store)
Movie Theatre (preferably Regal/AMC)
Restaurants/Bars (preferably not fast food, but unique dining/mainstream chains)
Fitness Center (YMCA or something)
Shopping (preferably stores like Urban Outfitter, American Apparel, Anthropologie, J Crew, etc.)
Coffey Shops
Cafes
Drug Store
Book Store

Now I know it’s a lot to ask, but my fiancé and I are looking for this utopian place to live, work, and play.

Can your city give this to us?

We are up for any city, but in order to meet this criteria it will likely have to be a bit large. Now we are willing to compromise and some of the things listed above, so long as its within a short drive (no longer than 20 – 30 minutes).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 06:31 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,292,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert.t.malone View Post
Schools (preferably elementary and middle schools)
Quick question: Are you looking for quality elementary and middle schools or just a school period (ie. do you have kids)??? You may find trouble with finding quality elementary and middle schools in an walkable neighborhood that isn't the most expensive neighborhood of the city and cost $1,000,000 for a 2 bedroom apartment.

In Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, San Diego, Long Beach, etc... in California, many of the urban neighborhoods where you can walk places have poor performing public schools and I think the case is the same in most large cities across the country.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:03 PM

2,097 posts, read 5,873,249 times
Walk Score - Helping homebuyers, renters, and real estate agents find houses and apartments in great neighborhoods.

There is a website that you can enter a neighborhood and it will let you know how "walkscore" of your neighborhood.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:16 PM

Default I forgot to add...

Assume money is no object and private/public (must be a solid school). Remember I don't mind a short commute for a few things. Just the majority needs to be walkable.

I want to hear personal stories about certain districts/neighborhoods. The website is very unreliable. It scores my place as high as some places in Manhattan. And trust me, half the stuff on the map is non-existent. We are a ten minute drive from the majority of what's listed.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:42 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,513,072 times
Beacon Hill/Back Bay in Boston is perfect for you if money is no object. It's located right next to Boston Common and the Public Gardens. The Public Gardens are breathtakingly beautiful at times. There's statues and monuments throughout both the Common and Gardens. There's also a section of the Common reserved for dogs.

For shopping, Newbury Street (one of the most upscale shopping areas in the country) and the Copley Square Mall/Prudential Shops (more ritzy clothing shops) are both within a ten to fifteen minute walk. You can expect to find shops like Armani, Burberry, Ermenegildo Zegna, Adriano Goldschmeid, Lucky, American Apparel, etc. Along Newbury and neighboring Boylston St are tons of cafes and restaurants. There are a couple chains, but for every chain there are two or three local establishments. The location is unbeatable. You're right next to downtown, wouldn't have to drive anywhere. You can walk or take public transit to anywhere you want. There's tons of upscale private schools in the area...I'm not too sure about the public schools.

However, if you have a couple kids, be ready to drop at least $3 million for your house.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:01 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,204,231 times
All of those things (except a movie theatre) are a 15 min walk from house and I live in the suburbs. (god forbid)

Maybe not quite to the extent that you are expecting but I think many suburbs in the Boston area have everything on the list.

tmac answered the question for the city, although I would say almost any neighborhood in Boston has those things. In addition to Back Bay and Beacon Hill there is the North and South End for sure, South Boston, Allston/Brighton, and many parts of Cambridge. Hell, I know it is against C-D etiquite to mention the "hood" but Dorchester, Mattapan, and Roxbury all fit the criteria as well. If you are willing to walk about 20 minutes you could live literally ANYWHERE in Boston and have those things.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:26 PM

Thanks so very much for your input tmac9wr and TheWereRabbit.

seriously, I have taken the Bestplaces quiz nearly a dozen times over the last year and a half..Boston and Cambridge are always near the top. I have always been interested in the area. My father has loved it the few times he has visited. Even when he said it was so cold his snot was frozen.

Anways. TWR, i'm kind of looking to be in the center city, I'm not anti-burb. Just looking for a more densely populated area to live. I will definitely consider Boston.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:30 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,204,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert.t.malone View Post
Thanks so very much for your input tmac9wr and TheWereRabbit.

seriously, I have taken the Bestplaces quiz nearly a dozen times over the last year and a half..Boston and Cambridge are always near the top. I have always been interested in the area. My father has loved it the few times he has visited. Even when he said it was so cold his snot was frozen.

Anways. TWR, i'm kind of looking to be in the center city, I'm not anti-burb. Just looking for a more densely populated area to live. I will definitely consider Boston.
The suburb thing wasn't directed at you but more at the consesus opinion of the educated populace.

And ya, definitely expect frozen snot a weeks a year in Boston. It's a sign of a successful winter.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:39 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,813,738 times
I walk to all that and more from my condo in South Beach. Literally, the only thing on your list that requires a 25 cents local bus ride or bike ride for me is Urban Outfitters. But, even that is a nice walk if I have 25 minutes to spare and a nice day to do it.
In addition to the list of places you provided, I can walk to the New World Symphony, Macy's, Design Within Reach, The Fillmore at The Jackie Gleason Theatre, The Miami Beach Convention Center, tons of national chain stores, Epicure (gourmet grocer), Whole Foods, World Class nightclubs, lounges, Marinas and the Beach.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:34 AM

What's housing like? Is it all condos and lofts, or are there townhouses/homes for sale in the same area?

Crime? I've heard good and bad about South Beach. I've been to Miami, but it has been a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or