U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 01:40 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,969,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
VANCOUVER

if it really has to be in the US than cities on the west coast. and most very large cities in the country.
Do you mean Vancouver, Washington? I don't think she's planning on going to Canada, but I'll have to check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 12:52 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,203,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Do you mean Vancouver, Washington? I don't think she's planning on going to Canada, but I'll have to check.
No, I meant Vancouver, BC. I wouldn't rule out Canada but if she really isn't willing to be outside the US then LA, SF, Seattle. Although any big city will have a notable japanese community.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:57 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,618,894 times
Hawaii is the most obvious answer, as there is a lot of Japanese-Americans(and Japanese visitors) there. Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, and San Jose all have signifigant Japanese populations as well. There used to be a lot of thriving Japantown districts on the West Coast, but these went into decline after the internment of Japanese-Americans during World War II. (Interesingly enough, Portland, Oregon's Chinatown was originally Japantown prior to World War II.) Los Angeles still has it's Little Tokyo district and San Francisco and San Jose have there small Japantowns...However most of the Japanese population in West Coast cities is spread out throughout the surrounding areas..there doesn't seem to be many areas where they're signifantly concentrated in one area. I know Seattle has a good number of Japanese in the area, and the huge Uwajimaya market in the International District.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:11 AM

113 posts, read 496,028 times
Hawaii has a lot of people of Japanese ancestry but most are 3rd, 4th or even 5th generation, so they don't speak the language. However, Japanese tourists make up a sizeable percentage of visitors to the islands so a lot of people may know helpful phrases....it is also taught in a lot of Hawaii high schools in addition to the standard Spanish, French, etc...

Torrance, CA has tons of Japanese expats - I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that it has the largest concentration of actual Japanese nationals in the US. Everytime I'm there I hear and see tons of Japanese that are speaking the language...there are also several Marukai markets and another Japanese-ish market too, looks very similar to the Uwajimaya market in Seattle, and there are lots of good ramen and izakaya type bar places in the older areas of Torrance and neighboring Gardena, CA....hope this helps.

Last edited by 808n310; 07-14-2009 at 01:17 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 07-14-2009, 03:09 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,969,835 times
Interesting, thanks.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:11 PM

56,618 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Actually, wouldn't Portland have their share too? So, maybe Vancouver WA wouldn't be out of the question.

By the way, Brazil actually has the highest Japanese population outside of Japan.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:24 PM

1,629 posts, read 4,858,454 times
Hawaii is #1 by far (Oahu)...second would be San Francisco and third Los Angeles.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:05 PM

522 posts, read 489,887 times
As there's a thread on Japan-like places in the US. Don't know if much said here will be useful there, but this is one of the earliest threads I remember starting when I posted as Thomas R.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:20 AM

41 posts, read 45,023 times
Hawaii, California and Washington (basically, the west coast states) has the largest Japanese population.

New York and New Jersey has a decent Japanese population then followed by Boston.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:25 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,201,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
My sister is currently in Japan and when she returns to the US she's indicated she might want a place where she can keep up her Japanese. I'm thinking the Los Angeles County area is one such place, but I think is probably warmer than she wants. Anything in the Northern California to Washington area that'd fit?

Note: She's like my favorite sister, but other than our shared love of Science Fiction we're quite different. She's much more liberal than I on social issues and is not conventionally religious. So a place more "liberal" than I'd tolerate might be fine by her.
Forget LA county. I minored in Japanese in college and found it almost useless in LA. It has a high number relatively number for the continental US, but if you really want to know the best place its Honolulu, hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or