U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 12:35 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,150,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
It seems like Koppen is contradictory. It classifies Honolulu as semi-arid, and yet also classifies Honolulu as tropical. Look up Koppen on wikipedia, look at the different "subgenres", if you will, of tropical climate, and Honolulu is in fact listed as tropical. Oh, and Aruba is tropical as well. Just because Miami gets more rain doesn't mean Honolulu is not tropical.
I'm not saying I agree with its climate description, but I calculated it.

Honolulu:
Average temperature: 25.45 C
*20 multiplier: 509
% of total precipitation in high-sun months (April to September): 19%
Rain threshold = 509 + 0* = 509
*Add zero to the threshold because the earlier % is less than 30%
Annual precipitation = 433.6mm
433.6<509. Therefore, it is semi-arid.

It's the lack of a true wet season that moves Honolulu into semi-arid. It seems a bit silly because the temperatures are more tropical than Miami. It's really tropics that don't rain as much (seems rather nice). But if you define tropics as hot and wet, Honolulu doesn't fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 12:41 AM

The Trewartha climate classification scheme has a different formula and Honolulu is tropical under this.

10*(AveTemp - 10) + 3*(% of rain in 6 high sun months); If rain in mm is > 2*this number, then tropical
10*(25.45 - 10) + 3*(19) =
10*(15.45) + 57=

211.5*2=423
433.6 > 423.

Therefore, tropical.

Blah. Confusing, but Honolulu is tropical under this formula. I don't think anyone here is a climatologist, so I don't think anyone here is qualified to tell me one formula is better than the other.

That said, Trewartha seems to have some things working for him that make more sense than Koppen.

Last edited by pgm123; 12-06-2012 at 12:55 AM..

Old 12-06-2012, 08:40 AM

5,302 posts, read 8,116,283 times
^^^I trust Trewartha. Honolulu gets a lot of rainfall in the inland and upland areas anyways, while the rain is usualy measured on the drier coast.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:38 AM

654 posts, read 1,297,533 times
One thing we can decipher from the collection of data in Koppen and Trewartha's aridity formula is that Honolulu is not true tropical. Honolulu annual precipitation makes over Trewartha's threshold formula...barely. That alone should tell you that Honolulu is at most semi-tropical. The fact that it fails the aridity test for Koppen's formula alone should tell you Honolulu's climate is rather ambiguous as to which Group it be, whether A or B.

Honolulu is semi-tropical at most. I personally believe it is a BSh climate, and I know some other climate gurus that would agree with me.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:24 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,116,283 times
^^^Honolulu is truly tropical, unlike South Florida. It doesn't matter if it barely makes Trewartha's formula, it still made it. And we do not agree that Honolulu is a desert climate or whatever nonsense you keep spewing. The rainforests on Oahu prove that it is truly tropical.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:51 AM

Koppen has Honolulu has a hot steppe climate (like Aruba or Aleppo). But Cane, it doesn't matter if it's clearly over the threshold or barely for Trewartha (or others). These climate classifications are set up in a way that if you're just over, you're completely in that zone. Miami barely has the January temperatures to be tropical under Koppen.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:59 PM

4,445 posts, read 8,642,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
One thing we can decipher from the collection of data in Koppen and Trewartha's aridity formula is that Honolulu is not true tropical. Honolulu annual precipitation makes over Trewartha's threshold formula...barely. That alone should tell you that Honolulu is at most semi-tropical. The fact that it fails the aridity test for Koppen's formula alone should tell you Honolulu's climate is rather ambiguous as to which Group it be, whether A or B.

Honolulu is semi-tropical at most. I personally believe it is a BSh climate, and I know some other climate gurus that would agree with me.

From what I understand of it...you are correct - Honolulu is at best semi-tropical...really its more of a steep (B in Trewartha) dry climate, unlike the Florida Keys and deep south Florida which is truly tropical with the rainfall and warm ocean waters.

When I think of the "most" tropical parts of south Florida I allways think of the those clear turquoise tropical Atlantic waters and powdery white sands of Bahia Honda. Add in tropical hammock with dense Caribbean trees and bushes, Gumbo limbo, Jamaica morning glory, West Indies yellow stainwood, native Florida Thatch palms...etc had you see nature the way it should be.

Bahia Honda State Park - Florida Keys - YouTube

Old 12-07-2012, 09:01 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,793,456 times
While Miami may not be tropical, I think it's no debate that The Keys are tropical.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:55 PM

654 posts, read 1,297,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
While Miami may not be tropical, I think it's no debate that The Keys are tropical.
Coastal Miami and Miami Beach and the Keys have the same plant hardiness zone: 11A+ The rest of South Florida have 10B or lower. I think only the areas in South Florida with a 11A+ zone is tropical. So, that means Miami/Miami Beach/Key Biscayne and the Keys.

Fort Lauderdale, WPB, Stuart, Naples, Fort Myers, Homestead, Oasis, Everglades, W. Perrine, Kendall, Boca, do not house 11+ PHZ. So, IMO it's semitropical like Honolulu. Honolulu is a semi tropical steppe while coastal eastern south Florida from WPB to Lauderdale is a semitropical rainforest climate, since neither has a dry month.

I welcome Hilo into the tropical community however. It is a true tropical climate, and a rainforest at that. It's good to know America has every type of tropical climates available. We are very versatile when it comes to tropical climates:

Pago Pago - ultra tropical rainforest
Hilo - tropical rainforest
Miami/Miami Beach - tropical monsoon
Key West - tropical savanna
Fort Lauderdale/WPB - subtropical rainforest
Honolulu - semitropical steppe

Old 12-08-2012, 11:35 AM

3,178 posts, read 1,698,370 times
I hate these climatologist definitions. Anyone whose been to Honolulu will call it tropical lol. From the vegetation and the climate. It gets less rain, so what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or