U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 07:20 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,598,588 times

Advertisements

If you're talking native palms, definitely Florida and the Carolinas.

Planted - Florida and California take the cake. I'm sure Texas has quite a few too as well as the Carolinas and Louisiana, and of course Arizona.

Outside of Vegas, Nevada has surprisingly few, as the winters are quite harsh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 07:21 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,598,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Miami's climate is not Tropical, it is Sub Tropical, there is a big difference.
Just because you're north of the Tropic of Cancer, does not necessarily mean you fall into a subtropical as opposed to true tropical climate.

Just as Hudson Bay is an arctic climate but lies in a subarctic latitude.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:46 AM

353 posts, read 711,004 times
^^ Miami does fall below 40 degrees ocassionally... and its western areas could easily fall below 32
as far as I am concern when you have temps that low... there is no way you could be in a "tropical climate"

now summer is a different story... It might as well be as hot or hotter than the islands in the carribean

Old 08-01-2009, 02:01 PM

11,334 posts, read 17,114,362 times
Miami does have a Tropical Climate because its average temperature (low temp and high temp averaged together) doesn't fall below 64.4. Cities such as Tampa, Orlando, and Brownsville are at a close latitude to Miami have a Subtropical Climate, even New York City, Philadelphia and Washington DC have a Subtropical Climate because their average temperatures (low temp and high temp averaged together) don't fall below 32 so location isn't always a good indicator of the climate.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:20 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,701,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
If you're talking native palms, definitely Florida and the Carolinas.

Planted - Florida and California take the cake. I'm sure Texas has quite a few too as well as the Carolinas and Louisiana, and of course Arizona.

Outside of Vegas, Nevada has surprisingly few, as the winters are quite harsh.
Palm Trees are native to the south as a whole.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:08 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,996,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
I have two palm trees in my backyard here in Minnesota.
I would like to see a picture of That. If they are potted, they don't count

Old 08-01-2009, 03:14 PM

3,798 posts, read 8,176,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
I would like to see a picture of That. If they are potted, they don't count

They were potted for a while, and then I would bring them into the house in a sun room over the winter.. Now they are planted, but they are pretty harsh looking.. I just wrap them up in the winter... I have pics on my old desktop, Ill upload them soon.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That-Guy View Post
I'm guessing they were windmill palms? Look like this...?

They are able to take very cold temperatures.

They look like this, but fatter stems/trunks

Old 08-01-2009, 03:18 PM

Anyone growing/grew any type of palm tree? - Minnesota Gardening Forum - GardenWeb

I originally copied and pasted the picture of a gentleman in IOWA, thought it might break some rules, so here is the link

Old 11-17-2012, 12:50 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,107,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Miami definitely has more than LA. Palms are not even native to LA. Miami also has a Tropical climate capable of supporting more species of palms then the mediterranean climate of SoCal.
Actually, there are a few native palms in LA. Besides, FL also has a lot of palms that aren't native. Queen Palm, Coconut Palm, Foxtail Palm, Veitchia, Cycads, Pygmy Date Palm, Date Palm, Canary Island Date Palm. The same ones as CA! Not to mention the Washington Fan Palm and Mexican Fan Palm, which are native to CA. And who cares if they aren't native? That doesn't make one place better for palms. You may have also noticed that the desert palms do not look as nice in FL as they do in CA.

Also, Hawaii has more palm trees than anywhere else. There isn't a type of palm tree that cannot be grown in Hawaii, unlike FL and CA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or