U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 12:56 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,088,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native17 View Post
^^ Miami does fall below 40 degrees ocassionally... and its western areas could easily fall below 32
as far as I am concern when you have temps that low... there is no way you could be in a "tropical climate"

now summer is a different story... It might as well be as hot or hotter than the islands in the carribean
I agree. Frosts and even two (maybe more) occurences of snow flurries definately disprove the common thought of South Florida being tropical. It is subtropical, that is fact. Heck, even the average nighttime lows in winter are in the 50s. True tropical places, like Hawaii, rarely ever see that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 02:22 PM

5,515 posts, read 17,672,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I agree. Frosts and even two (maybe more) occurences of snow flurries definately disprove the common thought of South Florida being tropical. It is subtropical, that is fact. Heck, even the average nighttime lows in winter are in the 50s. True tropical places, like Hawaii, rarely ever see that!
You seem to think that Hawaii is some tropical haven. It's not lol. To you everything on the west coast is warm and the east is not. Compare Honolulu to a TRUE tropical city La Romana, in the DR.

East Coast/Atlantic Ocen FTW.

Average Weather for La Romana, * - Temperature and Precipitation

Average Weather for Honolulu, HI - Temperature and Precipitation

Stay with your cold waters. Find me a place in Hawaii that's warmer than ANYTHING in the caribbean. You want to pick on Miami? Ok. Two can play that game.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:57 PM

140 posts, read 208,371 times
Rio Grande Valley in deep South Texas sure has a lot of palm trees as well.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:07 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,744,391 times
Quote:
I'm not gonna lie, Florida get's KILLED by those cold-fronts. And this happens annually. Having said that, it isn't a daily thing. It usually happens for a week or so, and then goes back to the 70 degree range.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:21 PM

1,583 posts, read 2,013,639 times
Arizona. They're everywhere there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-18-2012, 09:47 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,141,440 times
Quote:
Miami only once recorded snow flurries exactly twice and the second was only spotted by trained observers.

Anyway, Miami fits the textbook definition of a tropical climate. Is it colder than Hawaii? Of course. But it's not much different from San Juan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native17 View Post
^^ Miami does fall below 40 degrees ocassionally... and its western areas could easily fall below 32
Yeah, but you have to admit that this is extremely rare. It's certainly not an annual occurrence. If temperatures drop below freezing, it's pushing the record.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:16 AM

2,441 posts, read 6,118,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Miami only once recorded snow flurries exactly twice and the second was only spotted by trained observers.

Anyway, Miami fits the textbook definition of a tropical climate. Is it colder than Hawaii? Of course. But it's not much different from San Juan.
Miami does not fit the textbook definition of a tropical climate. You, yourself, stated that Miami has seen snow flurries twice. Snow is not in the textbook definition of tropical. Miami's record low temperature is 27 degrees. Freezes, especially hard freezes, do not fit in the definition of tropical. The tropics fall between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn. Miami does not fall between the two. In fact, no part of Florida does. This means that Miami and the Keys do not receive the high sun angles, nor the daylight length that tropical areas receive.

Miami's winters are nothing like San Juan's. San Juan has an average January high/low temperature of 83/65. Miami's averages are almost 10 degrees lower than that. San Juan's record low temperature is 45 degrees, almost 20 degrees warmer than the coldest Miami's ever seen. If you actually lived in South Florida, you would also know that our winter cold fronts die out well before they get to Puerto Rico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Yeah, but you have to admit that this is extremely rare. It's certainly not an annual occurrence. If temperatures drop below freezing, it's pushing the record.
Temperatures drop to around freezing pretty much every winter during cold snaps in inland Dade and Broward. Temperatures drop into the upper 30s to low 40s during our winter cold snaps closer to the coast. Growing up in Miami, I remember temperatures dropping into the mid 30s several times during the winter.

Just give up the idea that Miami is tropical. It's not. Is it closer to being tropical than any other major city in the lower 48? Yes. But tropical it is not. Hawaii is the only state with a true tropical climate.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:49 PM

4,988 posts, read 7,303,015 times
Hawaii doesn't freakin count.....

they're not part of the mainland where 99% of the population lives. Let's focus on that.

I'd say Miami and south Florida has the most palms. Followed by Southern Cal.
In south florida there are a lot more varities of palms supported there, where as in southern Cal, there's about 4 diff kinds supported there.

I love palm trees either way. They just make things look nice. I could be stuck in traffic on the freeway, but my window down, sun is shining and some palms swaying in the breeze.... I'm chillen. It relaxes me

Old 11-18-2012, 08:06 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,977,460 times
Palm Springs-Palm Desert, etc. have a lot of palm trees; however, a few miles outside of Palm Springs, in the Indian Canyons (reservation) is Palm Canyon, a magnficient cluster of gigantic palm trees that stretch for miles. I met some avid travelers who said that they'd been to the Middle East numerous times and never saw anything like it.

The picture does not do it justice.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:46 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,930,589 times
You want palms? We got palms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or