U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2009, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 2,813 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! I'm getting ready to graduate in a few months and I want to move to a new city. I've grown up in the same city all my life, so I'm ready for something new. I travel a lot to NY, Florida, the Carolina's...so I love to explore new cities. I will be 24 when I graduate and I'll have a degree in English with minors in history, PR and writing. I would want to work for a magazine, publishing firm or work for the PR division of a company. I want to have options, since my degrees are diverse. Writing is more more passion and I would love a place that caters to artists. I want to be able to walk out of my place and be a part of a community that has nightlife (bars, dancing, live theater), unique shops (think Greenwich Village NY), coffee shops and fun events. I also want to be able to walk out of my place and be a few minutes from shopping malls and designer stores. I need a city that is affordable to someone who is young and just out of college. I would love to be in a city that is surrounded by other big cities...or at least other things to do. Meaning, I don't want to be in a city that is amazing....but it's really the only thing for miles and miles. I grew up in a small town, where you had to travel an hour to do anything..and I don't want to be in that situation again, where options are kinda limited. I need a city that I feel safe walking around at night in. Granted, all cities come with some crime but I want to be able to feel like I can walk around at night and not worry about being a young woman on my own. I'm not big on extreme heat/humidity. I love FL. But, I wouldn't be up for places like Texas. I HATE big bugs. I have a phobia. So, again..places like Texas are out. I don't mind living with roommates or living by myself. I've looked into moving to the places that I vaca all the time...but NY seems a little too expensive right now. Maybe not, I've only really looked at living in Manhattan. But, other than that the places I go are pretty heavily tourtist attraction areas.
Any suggestions? I knew my list is rather picky but is there anywhere that fits some, if not all, of those needs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 01:40 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,713,753 times
Maybe you'd like Harrisburg PA - see http://www.city-data.com/forum/penns...ea-thread.html

Old 07-08-2009, 02:29 PM

22,143 posts, read 23,648,900 times
The Center City part of Philadelphia might hit the spot, and maybe some parts of Brooklyn.

Seattle and Portland probably have good nabes like that (and those cities are all well-connected to each other from Eugene up to Vancouver) as well as several Midwestern cities such as Milwaukee and Chicago (and the interesting nabes in the Midwest will probably be quite a bit more affordable). I also want to throw in Pittsburgh, but that's a bit more isolated than some of the aforementioned cities.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,422 times
DC has a lot of what you are looking for.

From a job market prespective, it has to be top 2 or 3 in the country.
It has a huge media,PR industry (albeit mostly focused on politics), you should be able to find something in your field.

It has a few vibrant urban neighboorhoods (Dupont, Adams Morgan, etc.)
The city has a large young transient population; it would be easy to make friends.

Cost maybe a bit of a concern. The city is cheaper then Manhattan, but not cheap. Expect to spend at least $1000/mo to live in the trendier neighboorhoods (w/ roomates.) Capitol Hill is a little cheaper, but a little less vibrant. You could probably find something for maybe $800-$1000.

Crime can also be an issue in DC, but it tends to be heavily concentrated. For the most part, the trendy urban neighboorhoods are similar to other trendy urban cities interms of crime.

DC vs Center City Philly
Philly is a little less expensive, but DC has a better job market for PR/media.

Philly is more urban in the NYC sense, but DC probably has more to do overall.

Philly is closer to NYC, but both cities are are relativly close to other large cities.

Crime is an issue in both cities. But, it seems to be a little more focused in DC.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,813 times
Thank you for all the replies!!! I'm getting ready to look into the areas mentioned...thanks again for replying!

Old 07-09-2009, 12:49 PM

56,593 posts, read 80,870,855 times
You might like Syracuse NY: Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau

City of Syracuse

Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, Syracuse is within 6 hours of these cities: NYC, Washington DC, Philadelphia, Boston, Toronto, Montreal, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Ottawa and Baltimore, among others.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:53 PM

1,779 posts, read 3,485,293 times
Wait a sec.....you hate big bugs and extreme heat/humidity so you rule out Texas, but you like Florida? Sorry but FL is worse than Texas in those categories. Ever hear of a Palmetto bug?

With your degrees and criteria, I'd recommend y'all go to the NE. You'll have a lot more writing opportunities in New York than Florida.

City surrounded by other big cities.....other than DFW, most of the other Sunbelt cities are stand alone and a good distance from other major metros. You'd be a lot closer to other big cities in the NE corridor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or