U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:33 PM

32,395 posts, read 55,240,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I know that's a fairly cryptic title. By "gold coast" I refer not to a literal coastal area with high rises but rather to the Claritas market segment "Urban Gold Coasts." It could also be segments like "Money and Brains," "Young Digerati," Uptown Bohemian," etc.
Let's see..Like the Bay Area with water but without the lefties and too expensive..hmmm...

Off the top of my head...

Lake County, IL
King County, WA(Bellevue area in particular)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 09:39 PM

32,395 posts, read 55,240,452 times
Quote:
They remind me of a high strung version of Parisians. A bit mal eleve compared with the real McCoy.
Sometimes its refreshing to find that in the U.S.

Quote:
One thing in common with Paris is, most people here are not really from here. Same deal in Paris.
I can see how you'd feel that way. Today, about 55% of the Bay Area is either foreign born or the child of a foreign born resident.

But ya know, we still manage to be a very successful place even though so many newcomers are here.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:24 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,831,684 times
Quote:
By baggage I refer to political leftism, high taxation, anti American attitudes, etc.

Are suggesting that people to the left of you are anti-American? Or, are you suggesting that the Bay Area is too left for you?

Most of South Florida qualifies as Gold Coast and is certainly more "left" than the country as a whole but not nearly as "left" as the SF Bay Area.

As someone who is probably Left of your political viewpoint, I take exception to political leftism being lumped together with anti-American attitudes. After all, I don't subscribe to the notion that pro-American is necessarily owned by those who are politically to the right.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:51 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 6,355,785 times
Many from SF region who dislike communist ethos of SF or Palo Alto live in slightly more capitalist Woodside or Atherton and have wkend houses on LA's refreshingly pro-capitalist Westside (esp N of Sunset BH, Brentwood or Palisades), which seems to attract many like-minded capitalist/hedonist wkend residents from Dallas, Chic, Seattle, etc

NYC's UES or Chic's Gold Coast are relatively old-fashioned capitalist bastions (w/superb restaurants and bars), but capitalist suburbs like Greenwich or Winnetka tend to have awful grub/grocery stores/bars (and drive into Manhattan or Chic for grub is far more arduous than comparable drives on SF Peninsula or LA's Westside)

Problem of highly educated wealth anywhere is one faces many annoying (but often amusingly hypocritical) "Gulfstream communists", even (or perhaps especially) in "overeducated" capitalist epicenters like NYC or SV

Old 07-09-2009, 03:47 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,170,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Many from SF region who dislike communist ethos of SF or Palo Alto live in slightly more capitalist Woodside or Atherton and have wkend houses on LA's refreshingly pro-capitalist Westside (esp N of Sunset BH, Brentwood or Palisades), which seems to attract many like-minded capitalist/hedonist wkend residents from Dallas, Chic, Seattle, etc

NYC's UES or Chic's Gold Coast are relatively old-fashioned capitalist bastions (w/superb restaurants and bars), but capitalist suburbs like Greenwich or Winnetka tend to have awful grub/grocery stores/bars (and drive into Manhattan or Chic for grub is far more arduous than comparable drives on SF Peninsula or LA's Westside)

Problem of highly educated wealth anywhere is one faces many annoying (but often amusingly hypocritical) "Gulfstream communists", even (or perhaps especially) in "overeducated" capitalist epicenters like NYC or SV
"Gulfstream communists" - good one!!!

Old 07-09-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

I can see how you'd feel that way. Today, about 55% of the Bay Area is either foreign born or the child of a foreign born resident.
What I found in Paris was that even most of the Frenchmen there were not from there. Most were actually from other cities (most commonly Marseille, Aix Au Provence, Lyon, etc) or from "Le Podunkville." Meanwhile many born in Paris have moved to the far Paris exurbs, to smaller cities elsewhere in France, or, have left the country completely.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:48 PM

61 posts, read 63,349 times
I'm in similar straits as a far-right atheist. My idea of hell would be to have a Nascar track on one side and an ivy league college on the other.

I'm a product of the the small-city Northeast where republicans abound but country music and radio evangelists do not. People go to church but mostly for social reasons. Too bad the climate s*ucks.

My idea of heaven would be CA in the 60s. The loony left was making a lot of noise but hadn't taken power yet.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:18 PM

56,756 posts, read 81,102,256 times
Quote:
I know that's a fairly cryptic title. By "gold coast" I refer not to a literal coastal area with high rises but rather to the Claritas market segment "Urban Gold Coasts." It could also be segments like "Money and Brains," "Young Digerati," Uptown Bohemian," etc.

By baggage I refer to political leftism, high taxation, anti American attitudes, etc.

Essentially, what I want is a place that has the feel, cosmopolitanism, etc of where I'm at now (San Francisco Metro) but without all the loopy "extras" that seem to come along with it.

It this an oxymoron? Is there something in people who are in banking, high tech, international biz, media, entertainment / infotainment, Web 2.0, etc which makes them radical Fabians, innately?

Do I have to take a downgrade in terms of the things I like (varied restos, good clubs with late hours, art house films, etc), to be with normal Americans?

I know this is sort of open ended.

Just looking for some thoughts.

Try Houston......Maybe Charlotte.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:28 PM

Houston ... interesting thought.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:19 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,762,301 times
Try New Orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or