Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 12:08 AM

14,169 posts, read 22,583,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Many people don't realize that Pittsburgh is technically part of Appalachia. In fact, for a long time, I never suspected it. Being in Pennsylvania, and being known as a major industrial city, it can be easy to misunderstand. Culturally, it is different from the rest of Appalachia.
And even when you go out into the hinterlands away from Pittsburgh, there are still differences. Rural western Pennsylvania, northern West Virginia, western Maryland, east-central Ohio and the southern tier of upstate New York have enough differences with southern West Virginia, southern Ohio, western Virginia and eastern Kentucky to be noticeable.

It's the difference between the northern and central Appalachians. The quality of life in the northern Appalachians might not compare favorably to rural New England, but it absolutely does compare favorably to the central Appalachians. This is why the term "Pennsyltucky" annoys me, because there's literally nowhere in Pennsylvania that's as bad off as the eastern Kentucky coalfields, regardless of what anybody in New England might have you believe.

And if people want to highlight the cultural similarities between the different regions of the Appalachians, then it's their duty to bear in mind which direction the culture has been driven. There's no Mid-South influence in Pennsylvania; there's Pennsylvania influence in the Mid-South, which is one of the main factors in differentiating it from the Deep South and the South Atlantic in the first place. (The other is the relative lack of slaves historically.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 08:06 AM

6,333 posts, read 11,491,519 times
I loved your geneology post in the Tennessee thread. Do you think you could get away with re-posting it here?

Old 03-09-2015, 10:33 AM

814 posts, read 1,143,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Gatlinburg is kinda touristy, like an Appalachian version of Myrtle Beach, but I guess it's pretty cool depending on your taste.
Except it would be greatly preferable if Myrtle Beach stayed at the beach and didn't ooze its garish chintziness up to the front door of perhaps the greatest natural attraction east of the Mississippi.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:05 PM

72,797 posts, read 62,106,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
And even when you go out into the hinterlands away from Pittsburgh, there are still differences. Rural western Pennsylvania, northern West Virginia, western Maryland, east-central Ohio and the southern tier of upstate New York have enough differences with southern West Virginia, southern Ohio, western Virginia and eastern Kentucky to be noticeable.

It's the difference between the northern and central Appalachians. The quality of life in the northern Appalachians might not compare favorably to rural New England, but it absolutely does compare favorably to the central Appalachians. This is why the term "Pennsyltucky" annoys me, because there's literally nowhere in Pennsylvania that's as bad off as the eastern Kentucky coalfields, regardless of what anybody in New England might have you believe.

And if people want to highlight the cultural similarities between the different regions of the Appalachians, then it's their duty to bear in mind which direction the culture has been driven. There's no Mid-South influence in Pennsylvania; there's Pennsylvania influence in the Mid-South, which is one of the main factors in differentiating it from the Deep South and the South Atlantic in the first place. (The other is the relative lack of slaves historically.)
I am quite aware of the differences. I've met people from western Pennsylvania. Western PA might not be any picnic, but judging from documentaries about Eastern KY and WV, those places look much worse than rural PA.

I'm not from New England, and I've never heard anyone from New England compare rural PA to Kentucky or West Virginia.

Culturally, Western PA resembles more of the northern industrial areas than its neighbors in Kentucky and West Virginia.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:18 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,972,294 times
West Virginia has a major claim to the title Appalachian, and I feel that most of the time people overlook our cities and towns.

Charleston
Morgantown
Beckley
Elkins
Buckhannon
Lewisburg

All of these are great places with unique attributes. WV is the only state completely covered with the Appalachian Mountains.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:56 PM

9,604 posts, read 9,209,816 times
Birmingham

Old 03-10-2015, 10:19 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,895,613 times
Cincinnatti ... it is the most urban appalachian city.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:20 AM

34,822 posts, read 30,876,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
Cincinnatti ... it is the most urban appalachian city.
I doubt Cincinnatians would like to be associated with Appalachia.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:39 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,895,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I doubt Cincinnatians would like to be associated with Appalachia.
Then they should disband the Cincinnatti Appalachian Festival and the Cincinnatti Urban Appalachian Council. Just sayin.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:46 AM

2,171 posts, read 3,302,487 times
Hope you folks don't mind if I post some links to pics of Appalachian cities. Here's the first, Wheeling, WV:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/220011...7633745104608/

btw, I do have a fondness for some grit too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.