U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2009, 03:51 PM
 
56,747 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Reputation: 12550

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Maybe it is not overly clever to believe and trust in God so much, as was indicated. When I imagine myself doing that (which is really quite a difficult task), I guess I would feel rejected by God if I did not make it, which would drag me down further. And even if I made it, I would feel like my success depended on God rather than my own capabilities and strengths. Basically that applies to any ethnic group, but AA's seem overly religious to me, which might be problematic psychologically if that God is the white Semitic god...
As a son of a pastor originally from the Mississippi Delta, I will tell you that while my father has the work ethnic that has allowed him to get where he is today, he definitely states that his faith in God has been a great reason as to why he is where he is. It's not so much about the individual not being able to accomplish things on their won, but let's not act like there hasn't been any help, grace, mercy and so forth that has allowed us to get to where we are today. That is what he would say and I totally understand that, because people are fickle. So, the aspect of faith should be put into proper perspective and is a legitimate aspect one's life. Looking at the history of African Americans is a good example of this. We're still here and have been a very important part of this country, in spite of things that have occurred along the way, personally or collectively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2009, 05:16 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,502 posts, read 19,342,369 times
Reputation: 8531
"but let's not act like there hasn't been any help, grace, mercy and so forth that has allowed us to get to where we are today."

Well, if you mean help, grace, mercy and so forth from above, I am sure there hasn't been any. It is the placebo effect. Once you understand that mechanism, you might as well become an atheist and you will be just as successful and happy, if not more so
It just hurts me when I see grown-up people praying to some lord for this and that... I am from a very Catholic region and I have seen it before. People keep praying because they have grown up thinking they depend on some divine intervention and good-will. If they have a good life, they tell themselves that god likes and helps them. If their lives are a mess, they think god does not like them and they have done something wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2009, 07:05 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,502 posts, read 19,342,369 times
Reputation: 8531
Obama's speech to the NAACP was interesting, for instance when he said:

"I want them aspiring to be scientists and engineers, doctors and teachers, not just ballers and rappers," Obama said. "I want them aspiring to be a Supreme Court justice. I want them aspiring to be president of the United States."

Last edited by Neuling; 07-17-2009 at 07:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2009, 08:56 AM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 19 days ago)
 
48,282 posts, read 45,557,145 times
Reputation: 15366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Obama's speech to the NAACP was interesting, for instance when he said:

"I want them aspiring to be scientists and engineers, doctors and teachers, not just ballers and rappers," Obama said. "I want them aspiring to be a Supreme Court justice. I want them aspiring to be president of the United States."
Obama hit the nail on the hammer. That is my aspiration too. I want young people to aspire to do more in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2009, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
5,990 posts, read 11,577,680 times
Reputation: 3235
Unfortunately, popular culture and the ghetto mentality go a long way to prevent that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 19 days ago)
 
48,282 posts, read 45,557,145 times
Reputation: 15366
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Unfortunately, popular culture and the ghetto mentality go a long way to prevent that.
Part of why I think BET is very bad for children to watch. Actually, TVOne is better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2009, 12:50 PM
 
Location: West Paris
10,264 posts, read 10,330,927 times
Reputation: 24409
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
As a son of a pastor originally from the Mississippi Delta, I will tell you that while my father has the work ethnic that has allowed him to get where he is today, he definitely states that his faith in God has been a great reason as to why he is where he is. It's not so much about the individual not being able to accomplish things on their won, but let's not act like there hasn't been any help, grace, mercy and so forth that has allowed us to get to where we are today. That is what he would say and I totally understand that, because people are fickle. So, the aspect of faith should be put into proper perspective and is a legitimate aspect one's life. Looking at the history of African Americans is a good example of this. We're still here and have been a very important part of this country, in spite of things that have occurred along the way, personally or collectively.

I agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2009, 01:49 PM
 
Location: St Paul, MN - NJ's Gold Coast
5,256 posts, read 11,972,761 times
Reputation: 3097
You should write a letter to Black Enterprise. I'd think you'd get a blurb in the magazine.
I seriously think you should get out of that hell hole known as Detroit, because honestly, that's the worst place for any African American or any American at that. With one of the worst economies, poverty rates, and high crime rates, you got to go.

You should go to the North east. NJ and MD are probably the best places for blacks IMO.

And instead of worrying and questioning your blackness, live life like your the color of water and be proud of your background and just be yourself and make your own strides. People will be impressed black or white... Some of the most successful African Americans are set far from the negative stereotype of "ghetto black sista/brotha"
This is what holds a lot African Americans back. The stereotype to a lot feel like it's a natural style of living; when it's not, there is no style or mannerism to set yourself with because of the color of your skin.. it's a shame. I see it in my school, about 30% of my school is black and a lot of them feel the need to act ghetto and beat up someone for the tiniest reason for attention and reputation, when at the same time, they're in Bergen County! These kids should be thankful they're not in Irvington or Camden, but yet they act like they are because they think that's what they're supposed to do.

The successful black kids at the school are some of the smartest kids in school and most athletic in the school, you just know the other low class students are going to be the one's working for them in the future... These are the kids who are friends with everybody of all different races and these are the kids that use English the way its meant to be used; They know they're black and they're proud of it, but why portray the trashy side of it all and label it "black"? Why is it when Black people do well in life their own race says they're trying to be white?

I know i'm white, but i never say it. I'm proud to be Italian American. I don't give a crap about the race. People ask me why do i hang out with the black people or date a black girl, when they know perfectly well i hang out with all sorts of races and nationalities. People just focus on the one thing all the time and get so worked up about it they don't notice the rest of the spectrum. It's like i'm one of the very few people who live life like it's America. People still don't get why this country is here, and it's pathetic and disheartening.

More blacks need to open their eyes and live more like an individual. If this was the case, blacks would have so much more of a better rap.

Last edited by BPerone201; 07-17-2009 at 02:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2009, 02:20 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,502 posts, read 19,342,369 times
Reputation: 8531
I read a comparison of black people in the States and Britain the other day, it said that in Britain they are ahead in terms of integration and success, probably because except for a few ghettos they do not feel like they belong to some kind of black subculture or social stratum which has to fight the dominating society. There is hardly any black awareness in Britain, they consider themselves more as individuals and their goals are the same as those of whites or Asians.
I personally think it also has to do with the fact that black people in Britain have chosen to live there. I think so because statistically black immigrants from the West Indies and African countries tend to outperform "native" African-Americans soon after getting to the States. They don't carry the psychological burdens of the past with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2009, 04:04 PM
 
56,747 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Reputation: 12550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I read a comparison of black people in the States and Britain the other day, it said that in Britain they are ahead in terms of integration and success, probably because except for a few ghettos they do not feel like they belong to some kind of black subculture or social stratum which has to fight the dominating society. There is hardly any black awareness in Britain, they consider themselves more as individuals and their goals are the same as those of whites or Asians.
I personally think it also has to do with the fact that black people in Britain have chosen to live there. I think so because statistically black immigrants from the West Indies and African countries tend to outperform "native" African-Americans soon after getting to the States. They don't carry the psychological burdens of the past with them.
Also, it is a smaller Black community. Black people in England only make up 3% of the national population.

There is some awareness there but it isn't as large due to the size of that community's population in relation to the nation as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top