U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:28 AM

259 posts, read 323,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
Man... I really wish I got all this white privilege I hear you speak of. I'm pretty sure a great many of my friends would like some also... all the benefits of being white and some how I keep missing out on them.

Working in many corporate places and some locally owned places around KC, i've never seen any blacks treated poorly, i've seen plenty in management positions(one job a few years back all the higher ups were black, women, or gay). I've never seen anyone think or give crap to black people in the workplace associating with other black people, maybe someone might think odd of it if that person ONLY associated with other black people, but i've never even seen that happen.

New hires, lets see i've trained plenty of them, including black ones, and never saw any sex or race assigned to the same except for one asian guy assigned to another, and thats cuz they were friends outside of work...

What exactly do you have to sell out on? LOL.... sounds to me maybe you just need to get a new job, or wherever you live plain sucks... but maybe I should move there, i've yet to get any special treatment being white, and in this economy i'll take any special treatment and privilege I can get.

You do realize that not every single White person capitalizes on the concept of White privilege. But in most any society the dominant culture or ethnicity tend to generally fare better economically than the most of the minority cultures especially if the minority cultures were people who were typically exploited in that country. I can drive through West Virginia and the ghettos of South Boston and see plenty of Whites that seemed to have missed the boat on White privilege. But I can also see the Xerox and Kodak engineers and managers who have no more education than a high school diploma and were given those jobs by their bowling buddies, Moose Lodge brothers or uncles.

Certainly the thread creators experience are his own and shared with many others, I can relate to much of what he said, but on the other hand it all does not apply to me. Everyones experiences are unique in some way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 09:51 AM

886 posts, read 1,923,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesBloodAxe View Post
But I can also see the Xerox and Kodak engineers and managers who have no more education than a high school diploma and were given those jobs by their bowling buddies, Moose Lodge brothers or uncles.
Special treatment based on who you know and white privilege are not the same thing... people of any race and sex can move up cuz of the connections they have...

i'm not saying it doesn't happen... i'm saying I don't think it's that prevalent... and im in a midwest city with 35% black population and i've never seen it. I've seen racism and profiling before... but in the corporate world i've yet to see anyone treated differently.. in fact the closest thing i can think of was from a black higher up treating black people better...

Old 07-29-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
And I believe the more African Americans reject rampant materialism and use their resources to rebuild themselves and their culture the better off they and America will be.

Following will only get one so far.
I see nothing wrong with anyone being materialistic, its how it is... people want nice things. The problem is when it becomes in excess to what someone is able to provide for themselves... buying the nice clothes and car instead of taking care of themselves and their family... a problem all kinds of people find themselves in.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I see nothing wrong with anyone being materialistic, its how it is... people want nice things. The problem is when it becomes in excess to what someone is able to provide for themselves... buying the nice clothes and car instead of taking care of themselves and their family... a problem all kinds of people find themselves in.

What one considers being a problem is relative, and I certainly dont expect most Americans to understand. But when you are in the first or second generation of middle class life and your kid still has to have student loans to attend college but you have two new luxury cars in the driveway, to someone like me, there is a problem with misplaced priorities.

Most Americans dont think this economic crisis is cultural problem and cant wait for things to return to the way they were.

Too many Black middle class professionals are spending too much money on the trappings of appearing to have made it, yet if they were laid off many are only a few month away from being foreclosed upon or homeless.

Is this what the people who gave their lives for their progress died for?

Last edited by MilesBloodAxe; 07-29-2009 at 10:40 AM..

Old 07-29-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Special treatment based on who you know and white privilege are not the same thing... people of any race and sex can move up cuz of the connections they have...

i'm not saying it doesn't happen... i'm saying I don't think it's that prevalent... and im in a midwest city with 35% black population and i've never seen it. I've seen racism and profiling before... but in the corporate world i've yet to see anyone treated differently.. in fact the closest thing i can think of was from a black higher up treating black people better...

In corporate American traditionally the only people with any ability to influence hiring or promotions were White, that has changed in the past 20 years.

I spent some time in Columbus Ohio, there was plenty of racism, not nearly as bad as what I see in Rochester NY, but more in the way the police used to harass people. I only had one serious racial incident at a workplace there. In the big picture it wasnt that serious since it was a job I was holding to pay for college.

Some places are worse than others, hopefully you live in a place that is more progressive.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
What one considers being a problem is relative, and I certainly dont expect most Americans to understand. But when you are in the first or second generation of middle class life and your kid still has to have student loans to attend college but you have two new luxury cars in the driveway, to someone like me, there is a problem with misplaced priorities.

Most Americans dont think this economic crisis is cultural problem and cant wait for things to return to the way they were.

Too many Black middle class professionals are spending too much money on the trappings of appearing to have made it, yet if they were laid off many are only a few month away from being foreclosed upon or homeless.

Is this what the people who gave their lives for their progress dies for?

I agree with this.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:54 AM

382 posts, read 610,839 times
@ skrizzle:Racial disparity in corpotate America is rarely overt; it's typically subtle. I've worked for several corporate entities, so my opinion is not based on one job. The solution is not as simple as getting another job. There are certain realities consistent across many corporations. I'm in the position, unlike many others, to be privy to such info. I.e., Many employees don't openly discuss their salaries and bonuses. However, it's not uncommon for whites to get significantly higher bonuses & raises and make higher salaries than their African American counterparts, w/o any performance or credentials basis/explanation for such disparities. It's also not uncommon for whites to act oblivious to racial bias, despite clear examples and occurrences of such every day on the news and in the media. There are many whites that feel there is no longer any racism in our country, especially w/ the election of President Obama. Just a quick personal example: My family vacations a lot. Our kids love to swim, so wherever we go, they're going to find a pool. ALL of the children are well behaved, mannerable and civilized. We're always complimented to that effect. Despite their behavior and such compliments, EVERYWHERE we go, when our AA children get into the pool, w/n five minutes, ALL of the whites and their children get/are out of the pool. This passive, but overt racism, makes us adults very angry and pity these people for their mentalities. We're preparing ourselves for the day when the children question us about such behavior. As for right now, we don't want them to focus on such negativity/ignorance. The reality is racism will continue to thrive as long as people indoctrinate their children-whether directly or indirectly-to hate, or believe they're superior or supreme over others. As far as corporate America is concerned: The answer is not for all African Americans to leave corporate America, since corporations are enriched by diversity. It's up to us to bring awareness and work to eliminate such unfair practices.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejuris View Post
@ skrizzle:Racial disparity in corpotate America is rarely overt; it's typically subtle. I've worked for several corporate entities, so my opinion is not based on one job. The solution is not as simple as getting another job. There are certain realities consistent across many corporations. I'm in the position, unlike many others, to be privy to such info. I.e., Many employees don't openly discuss their salaries and bonuses. However, it's not uncommon for whites to get significantly higher bonuses & raises and make higher salaries than their African American counterparts, w/o any performance or credentials basis/explanation for such disparities. It's also not uncommon for whites to act oblivious to racial bias, despite clear examples and occurrences of such every day on the news and in the media. There are many whites that feel there is no longer any racism in our country, especially w/ the election of President Obama. Just a quick personal example: My family vacations a lot. Our kids love to swim, so wherever we go, they're going to find a pool. ALL of the children are well behaved, mannerable and civilized. We're always complimented to that effect. Despite their behavior and such compliments, EVERYWHERE we go, when our AA children get into the pool, w/n five minutes, ALL of the whites and their children get/are out of the pool. This passive, but overt racism, makes us adults very angry and pity these people for their mentalities. We're preparing ourselves for the day when the children question us about such behavior. As for right now, we don't want them to focus on such negativity/ignorance. The reality is racism will continue to thrive as long as people indoctrinate their children-whether directly or indirectly-to hate, or believe they're superior or supreme over others. As far as corporate America is concerned: The answer is not for all African Americans to leave corporate America, since corporations are enriched by diversity. It's up to us to bring awareness and work to eliminate such unfair practices.

Thats messed up... I hope your generalizing a bit in regards to all the white people getting out of the pool when your kids get in it. If the rolls were reversed and I was in that situation, I don't know how I could hold back and not make a scene if something like that happened.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Thats messed up... I hope your generalizing a bit in regards to all the white people getting out of the pool when your kids get in it. If the rolls were reversed and I was in that situation, I don't know how I could hold back and not make a scene if something like that happened.

Ive seen it happen in suburban Rochester too. Some people are in a mental time warp. They dont even know why they hate, just because other whos approval they seek hate.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:40 PM

382 posts, read 610,839 times
@ skrizzle: Unfortunately, I'm not "generalizing" or exaggerating at all. It happens EVERY time. The sad thing is we have vacationed all over the place, and this swimming pool "white flight" has occurred in all those places. We remain composed when it occurs, although it upsets and hurts us for the children's sake, because we don't give much credence to ignorance. Actually, we all have the same attitude: "If these adults and children feel our kids are not good enough to swim in the same pool, so be it. It's their loss and/or lost opportunity to meet and interact with some wonderful children!" We are well aware, though, that someday, we will have to have this discussion w/ the children. We're surprised the children, currently ranging from ages 5 to 11, haven't asked us about this tendency yet, since they're very perceptive. We figure they're always having so much fun when this happens, they're not paying any attention to the white people's actions/reactions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or