Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 06:37 PM

380 posts, read 689,185 times

Advertisements

Many of us are conditioned to achieve the American Dream: Education, comfortable living, nice home & car and a nuclear family. We educate ourselves, matriculate from the finest institutions, network, get that "dream job" and acquire material things. We've jumped through the brass ring, so we should be satisfied, right? Haven't we "made it"?...After all is said and done, many people find that they are miserable and unfulfilled; not ungrateful, but unsatisfied. The area where many of us are most unhappy is the workplace. The "glass ceiling" and "white privilege" realities are not something we learn about in college. I'm still amazed at the injustices and biases that exist on the development and promotion track in corporate America for African Americans. Despite our credentials, achievements and performance, we're often evaluated and regarded "differently". It's as if we're subjected to a different set of rules/employee conduct. Our wages are lower and scrutiny higher. If a new hire is African American, he/she is automatically assigned to us for mentorship, despite differences in career paths and interests, as if it's impossible for a white person to develop an Af. Am. We're not typically invited "on the boat", to the homes of or to go on vacation w/ our superiors to get that "extra edge". We're not generally selected to be "groomed" to advance in the corporation as readily as whites. Further, although our "counterparts" are free to socialize and converse w/ each other as well as w/us, we're afraid to speak to each other or make eye contact, let alone have a lengthy conversation, for fear of retribution or being accused of alienating ourselves from others, or being too exclusive. Sometimes, it seems the only way to find true success as an Af. Am. is to "sell out", compromise our ethics, or sacrifice our dignity. I have too much faith in God, self respect and confidence in my skills and abilities to do any of those things. Meritorious and ethical advancement is the only option for me. What do you think? Do share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 06:44 PM

92,030 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Maybe you can eventually start a business or company yourself and put your expertise to good use, as well as being your own boss.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:23 PM

380 posts, read 689,185 times
If and/or when God directs me in the path of entrepreneurialship, I'll say, "Yes, Lord"! I wish I currently possessed the brevity and faith to start my own company/corporation. I have the knowledge and skill set to do so. I just need that extra push. I'm working on acquiring the discipline, fortitude and determination to do so. I need to be "ready", since I prefer to do everything w/ a standard of excellence. I'm a "work in progress" that's "under construction" as we speak. It's a process I appreciate. I've matured a lot and become more self aware/assured since I've been on this journey. So, it's only a matter of time...

Old 07-11-2009, 05:34 PM

Good, because we need more of that nowadays in this country. I think there is a move to people becoming small business owners and coming back to central business districts as well.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:01 PM

72,797 posts, read 62,106,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Maybe you can eventually start a business or company yourself and put your expertise to good use, as well as being your own boss.
Sounds like a very good idea. Starting one's own business takes the worry that the OP was describing. That person can do his/her own things.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:52 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,905,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejuris View Post
Many of us are conditioned to achieve the American Dream: Education, comfortable living, nice home & car and a nuclear family. We educate ourselves, matriculate from the finest institutions, network, get that "dream job" and acquire material things. We've jumped through the brass ring, so we should be satisfied, right? Haven't we "made it"?...After all is said and done, many people find that they are miserable and unfulfilled; not ungrateful, but unsatisfied. The area where many of us are most unhappy is the workplace. The "glass ceiling" and "white privilege" realities are not something we learn about in college. I'm still amazed at the injustices and biases that exist on the development and promotion track in corporate America for African Americans. Despite our credentials, achievements and performance, we're often evaluated and regarded "differently". It's as if we're subjected to a different set of rules/employee conduct. Our wages are lower and scrutiny higher. If a new hire is African American, he/she is automatically assigned to us for mentorship, despite differences in career paths and interests, as if it's impossible for a white person to develop an Af. Am. We're not typically invited "on the boat", to the homes of or to go on vacation w/ our superiors to get that "extra edge". We're not generally selected to be "groomed" to advance in the corporation as readily as whites. Further, although our "counterparts" are free to socialize and converse w/ each other as well as w/us, we're afraid to speak to each other or make eye contact, let alone have a lengthy conversation, for fear of retribution or being accused of alienating ourselves from others, or being too exclusive. Sometimes, it seems the only way to find true success as an Af. Am. is to "sell out", compromise our ethics, or sacrifice our dignity. I have too much faith in God, self respect and confidence in my skills and abilities to do any of those things. Meritorious and ethical advancement is the only option for me. What do you think? Do share.
I think someone else told you this on another post you made, but seriously, Get out of Detroit! Of course the corporate world, including those that are located in some of the most "Liberal" cities, are going to have the Good-ol-Boy system.

If you want to know where there are blacks who are getting promotions, invites on the yacht, and are on the Board of Directors, look for places where there are a plentiful of blacks who live in "nice" suburban neighborhoods, not necessarily places the most amount of blacks, but areas where the quality of living for blacks is overall equivalent to that of whites and more successful minorities.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:45 AM

Personally, the price for African-Americans achieving the American dream can be something immense, but a price many people do not know or care to recognize. For many African-Americans who do achieve that "American Dream", the price ranges from being called a "sellout" by some people, particularly, some people in their own ethnic group, to not being fully accepted in the dominant society. In a strange way, it is like being in a limbo in some cases. Historically, blacks have never been welcomed into the corporate world, and in many cases, obstacles were placed so that blacks could not even get the tools needed to succeed. Don't get me wrong, this has happened to other ethnic groups, but not to the extent of African-Americans. It is no surprise to me that many African-Americans hit that glass ceiling. Many people do not even want African-Americans working for them, let alone rising through the corporate ladder. Some people have even said they would hire a white male with a prison record and a high school education than a black male with a college degree and a clean record. This isn't to discount the black people who do make it, because they are out there, but I am saying discrimination is very rampant, more than some people would want to believe. I do agree that there have been changes since the 1960's, but to believe that everything is kumbaya, well, I don't buy into that. To the OP, starting your own business is something you should do. That way, you will be the CEO of your own business. You don't have to wonder when you will get a raise or when you will get promoted, because you will own the business yourself. You will be at the top of that corporate ladder. I am in college and I am writing a book. I have worked one too many jobs where I was either going nowhere or I was bad at the job. This was if I could find a job. Most of the time I never get hired for a job. I pretty much decided I need to do my own thing so I wouldn't have to ask for a minimum wage job. Maybe your testimony will help me to finish my sci-fi book.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Sounds like a very good idea. Starting one's own business takes the worry that the OP was describing. That person can do his/her own things.
My point exactly and the community could use more entrepreneurs anyway.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:44 PM

Here's a good radio show in my area and in many markets in the US that touch on things that have been brought up in this topic: Living Your Dream - MICHAELBAISDEN.COM (http://www.michaelbaisden.com/features/living-your-dream/fritzi-woods - broken link)

Welcome to the Official Site for Michael Baisden - MICHAELBAISDEN.COM

and a local radio show as well: http://georgekilpatrick.com/inspiration/

Old 07-13-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here's a good radio show in my area and in many markets in the US that touch on things that have been brought up in this topic: Living Your Dream - MICHAELBAISDEN.COM (http://www.michaelbaisden.com/features/living-your-dream/fritzi-woods - broken link)

Welcome to the Official Site for Michael Baisden - MICHAELBAISDEN.COM

and a local radio show as well: George Kilpatrick: New Inspiration
I frequently listen to the Michael Baisden show in metro Atlanta on 97.5 FM. He says to kick aside the people who don't believe in your dream. Personally, there should be more radio shows like this. Sadly, crazies like Neal Boortz and Rush Limbaugh are more popular in metro Atlanta(and they are the persons who spew hate over the airwaves).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.