U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 07-11-2009, 08:57 AM
1 posts, read 2,138 times
Reputation: 10


Hello everyone!!!!
I'm planning to move to the states soon and need to rent a flat. Wonder what is the procedure is like and what kind of documents I need as a non-US citizen.

I have no job as yet, no national security number, no greencard.

I can support myself with the savings I made for quite a considerable time thus can pay rent in advance for many months.

Would appriciate if you could thing of all the possible issues that I may encounter regarding the app retal.

I have a EU citizenship and can stay in the States for 3 months period at a time, since I'll be travelling accross the borders but want to secure an accommodation for a min one year.

Thak YOU in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Location: US Empire, Pac NW
5,008 posts, read 10,795,233 times
Reputation: 4125
You will need:

1) Your visa
2) Your passport
3) Proof of credit through one of the major credit agencies (Equifax, TransUnion, Experian) or through a major credit rating agency of your homeland
4) Proof of savings. This can be in the form of a bank statement. This will be DOUBLY certain if you plan on staying here on savings alone.
5) Do not be surprised if they ask for contact info or proof of former residence, like an electric bill, or a tax form form the previous year, etc.

If you have those documents you are off to a good start. Any further documentation will have to be supplied as needed.

Other than that they may run a background check for past criminal history but that's about it.

Have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2011, 05:57 PM
4 posts, read 8,519 times
Reputation: 11
Actually my fiance is that same situation. He's self-employed with business overseas but plans on moving to the US and living on savings. We can't get a "fiance visa" because we are traditional and won't be married for another year.

Anyways only difference is he doesn't have a credit card. He doesn't believe in debt so works only on a cash basis/through his bank. Great way, but creates problems when people need credit reports. How big of an issue is this for renting? Are there alternative methods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Location: Phoenix Arizona
2,032 posts, read 4,036,187 times
Reputation: 2693
you will also need to start calling "flats" apartments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top