Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 05:21 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,627,064 times

Advertisements

Rich people use drugs, too, so maybe those guys were in the area to expand their business, or if it was two groups of people from different states it could have been pure bad luck that they used your neighborhood as a meeting place. For your community's sake I hope it was just a fluke, although unfortunately stuff like that can happen anywhere. And yes, I agree that gated communties don't necessarily stop crime - I suppose they might deter people from using a spot as a meeting place, but studies have shown that in most places crime rates are about comparable for gated communities and their non-gated neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 09:34 PM

157 posts, read 396,324 times
I'm quite surprised that the urbanity/density crowd isn't all over this one

Anyhow, no area - not a single one - is immune from crime. Thugs have cars. People can quite easily scale gates into gated communities, as I have seen happen before.

Decaying neighborhoods in the urban core are like a cancer that has a great proclivity for metastasizing into other areas - and those areas do not have to be directly adjacent. I strongly agree with the poster who said that more policing by itself is not enough. That merely addresses the symptoms of a disease, not the disease itself. And the disease, plain and simple, is urban poverty, driven by broken families and low educational attainment.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:00 AM

17,997 posts, read 9,003,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It's the kind of responses this person is known for all across the forum...don't worry about it.

In the first place, no community is immune to crime...even if there has never been a shooting in your area, I'm sure there have been crimes committed. Crime is everywhere...think about how the people of Gaffney, S.C. felt after the serial killer went on that spree recently.

Criminals are different from what we've known in the past. I think many of them have realized that it's stupid to hit your own community...the real money is in nicer areas - the suburbs are nicer areas (except in Daton OH I presume ). Criminals who are good at what they do will have the resources to travel outside of their community and hit those nicer areas. I know it's been a trend in Atlanta suburbs recently - home invasions in the suburbs were pretty much unheard of 10 years ago. Now they are in the news much more frequently.

Where there are poor and uneducated people, there is going to be crime. I think a massive investment in education of impoverished people is a place to start...give those people some hope and a better opportunity to bring themselves out of poverty, and maybe there won't be as many that turn to crime as an option.
Ahh okay.

I agree we need to invest in education but with the way the economy is going right now education is taking a back burner and is ultimately having a negative affect on poverty and things that are always in the shadow of poverty.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:14 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,882,358 times
My advice to you and everyone in your town/suburb is to not let this scare you away.

One shooting in 170 years??? That sounds unbelievable and you should be very glad that nothing happened for all that time. In my current city of 70k we have a shooting or stabbing every day on average.

As said, no place is immune to crime. Some of the nicest suburbs in the Cleveland area have already had murders this year so you are very lucky where you live is very safe.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:09 PM

92,032 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
My advice to you and everyone in your town/suburb is to not let this scare you away.

One shooting in 170 years??? That sounds unbelievable and you should be very glad that nothing happened for all that time. In my current city of 70k we have a shooting or stabbing every day on average.

As said, no place is immune to crime. Some of the nicest suburbs in the Cleveland area have already had murders this year so you are very lucky where you live is very safe.
Everyday? In Lorain? Do you mean that literally?

Old 07-14-2009, 04:46 PM

61 posts, read 78,523 times
WV is poor and has low crime. Most people were poor during the Great Depression but they had low crime. NBA stars and rappers are rich and have a high crime rate. The "poor" spend more on luxury items than does the middle class. Poor whites often give to charity. Many rich people produce no useful goods or services but own their wealth to various schemes and cons, often involving the govt.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just about, if not everyday than every 2-3 days on average. Sadly.

If you read the morning journal or the chronicle, a couple pages in there is a report of a shooting or stabbing in Lorain just about every day. That's counting minor ones too though, very rarely do they lead to a murder. Unless it's a murder, major shooting or stabbing than it doesn't even make the front page.

For example, from June 21-July 2 (I believe) there were 13 separate shootings leaving 5 shot and 2 dead just in one neighborhood. There were several other shootings and stabbings throughout the city in this period as well. This is a report at the start of it: Police Investigate Lorain Shooting Deaths - WJW (http://www.fox8.com/wjw-news-shooting-deaths,0,6139573.story - broken link)

Old 07-14-2009, 09:47 PM

711 posts, read 2,098,891 times
The reason for the shock? A large percentage of those that move to the suburbs believe they are immune to crime. They put their guard down and the thugs "catch them slipping." Why wouldn't the thugs go to the burbs to commit crimes? People in urban areas have chosen (in most cases) to live in the city and know the things that come with it - take valuables out of your car, etc. The suburbanites have a false sense of security that because they've priced out the lower class that they are safe.

And yeah, the gated communities comment was pretty stupid.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Now that I think about it that's a little high, I just threw that number out there because that's how it's been lately.

If you add when people are shot, shot at, and stabbed I'm guessing per year it would average out to around 2-3 times a week.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:45 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,254,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Not in my part of the "Burbs"..

Gated communities rock my socks.
I've heard gated communities are becoming ghetto now due to the mortgage crisis. Thugs just swipe their cards and enter. So why have a gate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.