Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 07:41 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,055,097 times

Advertisements

Today at around the 3pm hour my town recorded it's first ever shooting in the towns 170 year history. I live in a town on the western outskirts of Indianapolis. Two people were shot and one person was stabbed on the grounds of the Western Yearly Meeting House. This incident has definetly woke up my neighbors and I because you never hear of something like that going on here. Everyone thinks it's just contained to big city Indianapolis. You never hear of anything going on in my town. It's just a quiet upper class suburb with an extremely low crime rate. Now that something like this has happened so so close to my house( 6 blocks away)...anything is possible. I still feel comfortable in my town but this has definetly shaken everyone up.

I heard of this trend happening in other places around the country. I just never thought it would happen in my little sleepy town.

The next town North of me recorded it's first shooting last month.

Do any of you guys remember the first time something like this happened in your town?

What needs to be done to stop this growing trend? What can we do to reduce the amount of crime not only in the countryside and suburbs but also in the big cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 10:17 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,860,995 times
One response to this thread:

Duh.

Crime follows cheap, and 'burbs reek of it. Look for the US to have outer-ring poverty in the future.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:21 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Good primary education, access to nutritious foods (food stamps should not be spent on chips and soda) and affordable family planning/contraceptive programs targeted at the poor would nip most of this in the bud. But this stuff isn't flashy enough, so we'll just try for bigger prisons instead.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
One response to this thread:

Duh.

Crime follows cheap, and 'burbs reek of it. Look for the US to have outer-ring poverty in the future.
Crime follows cheap? and 'burbs' reek of it? What kind of response is that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Good primary education, access to nutritious foods (food stamps should not be spent on chips and soda) and affordable family planning/contraceptive programs targeted at the poor would nip most of this in the bud. But this stuff isn't flashy enough, so we'll just try for bigger prisons instead.
Or better yet higher more law enforcement

Old 07-12-2009, 10:57 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,984,232 times
Not in my part of the "Burbs"..

Gated communities rock my socks.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:01 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,722,396 times
More law enforcement addresses the problem, not the cause. Law enforcement is part of the solution, but in the long-run the country needs to address other underlying issues to really create change.

And crime does happen - and always has happened - even in upper-class suburbs. It's not as common, but it's not really surprising, either. To the OP - what were the reasons behind the shooting? Was it totally random (a mugging-gone-bad or something) or was it people who knew each other? How old were the people involved? I knew of a group of kids when I was in high school that got involved in drugs and other things - they got in over their heads (I think they started selling), but in part because in part people didn't acknowledge just how bad it was - because they were "nice" white kids from a nice neighborhood with a low crime rate - it skyrocketed out of control and a teen ended up dead. "Things like that don't happen here," is what the parents said. Approaching crime of that sort can probably benefit greatly from a smaller local community, hands-on approach. If it was people who knew each other and were involved in a personal feud, well, that really does happen everywhere and in neighborhoods of all income levels.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:49 AM

93,158 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
More law enforcement addresses the problem, not the cause. Law enforcement is part of the solution, but in the long-run the country needs to address other underlying issues to really create change.

And crime does happen - and always has happened - even in upper-class suburbs. It's not as common, but it's not really surprising, either. To the OP - what were the reasons behind the shooting? Was it totally random (a mugging-gone-bad or something) or was it people who knew each other? How old were the people involved? I knew of a group of kids when I was in high school that got involved in drugs and other things - they got in over their heads (I think they started selling), but in part because in part people didn't acknowledge just how bad it was - because they were "nice" white kids from a nice neighborhood with a low crime rate - it skyrocketed out of control and a teen ended up dead. "Things like that don't happen here," is what the parents said. Approaching crime of that sort can probably benefit greatly from a smaller local community, hands-on approach. If it was people who knew each other and were involved in a personal feud, well, that really does happen everywhere and in neighborhoods of all income levels.
Just to add on to that, people seem to underestimate drunk and reckless driving as well. Alcohol related vehicular deaths occur 1 and a half times more a year than homicides. So, it depends on what people put under the heading of crime.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:19 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,808,427 times
My mom moved to Hackensack because it was a nice diverse town with fairly low crime.. but now she hates it with a passion. Shootings, stabbings, drug dealers, and assaults.
It still has fairly low crime, but I think we'll just have to wait for the next census.

She's looking to move when i graduate next year.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post

From what I know it was a drug deal gone bad. the men were in their 30's and 40's I don't know if they knew each other but each car had different out of state tags so I am assuming they weren't from around here.

Bradly: The next town North of me their shooting was in a gated community.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:39 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
Crime follows cheap? and 'burbs' reek of it? What kind of response is that?
It's the kind of responses this person is known for all across the forum...don't worry about it.

In the first place, no community is immune to crime...even if there has never been a shooting in your area, I'm sure there have been crimes committed. Crime is everywhere...think about how the people of Gaffney, S.C. felt after the serial killer went on that spree recently.

Criminals are different from what we've known in the past. I think many of them have realized that it's stupid to hit your own community...the real money is in nicer areas - the suburbs are nicer areas (except in Daton OH I presume ). Criminals who are good at what they do will have the resources to travel outside of their community and hit those nicer areas. I know it's been a trend in Atlanta suburbs recently - home invasions in the suburbs were pretty much unheard of 10 years ago. Now they are in the news much more frequently.

Where there are poor and uneducated people, there is going to be crime. I think a massive investment in education of impoverished people is a place to start...give those people some hope and a better opportunity to bring themselves out of poverty, and maybe there won't be as many that turn to crime as an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.