U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2007, 08:57 AM

4,908 posts, read 12,522,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Philadelphia (though the war-zone feel made it far from boring)
Salt Lake City (though I went there before the Olympics)
You highlight Pittsburgh,Cleveland and Philadelphia as unimpressive but fail to mention Baltimore. Hmm could we be pertinaciously biased.

The Chestnut Hill warzone of Philadelphia

One of the dozen or so upscale warzones of the city of Philadelphia

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 09:01 AM

4,723 posts, read 13,919,196 times
War Zones? Well those are some mighty lovely bunkers

Old 06-05-2007, 09:22 AM

1,965 posts, read 5,786,826 times
Density, downtown vibrancy- these are the qualities I associate with a city. If a city lacks a substantial downtown retail center (not a shopping mall), historic buildings, people living downtown, it just isn't all that impressive. In addition, if a city lacks a natural point of interest (a river, a lake, the ocean, a mountain) it isn't impressive. Not sure why this is a mystery. I've spent extensive time in Houston, Dallas, Atlanta and Charlotte and do not find them "impressive" b/c the downtowns are basically just office buildings, there are no natural points of interest, there is no vibrant downtown vibe, etc. They may be perfectly nice places to live, but impressive- no. As far as Philly goes- I went there only once when I considered attending the Univ. of Penn. and I went in the winter- so my view is probably unfair b/c of that. It is a large city, but I didn't like it.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:43 AM

19 posts, read 109,909 times
I recently tried to recreate a Mackinaw Island visit from childhood...and yeah, it was pretty unimpressive.

I was pretty blah about Omaha, too. And I didn't have high expectations.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:17 AM

5,858 posts, read 14,044,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Density, downtown vibrancy- these are the qualities I associate with a city. If a city lacks a substantial downtown retail center (not a shopping mall), historic buildings, people living downtown, it just isn't all that impressive. In addition, if a city lacks a natural point of interest (a river, a lake, the ocean, a mountain) it isn't impressive. Not sure why this is a mystery. I've spent extensive time in Houston, Dallas, Atlanta and Charlotte and do not find them "impressive" b/c the downtowns are basically just office buildings, there are no natural points of interest, there is no vibrant downtown vibe, etc. They may be perfectly nice places to live, but impressive- no. As far as Philly goes- I went there only once when I considered attending the Univ. of Penn. and I went in the winter- so my view is probably unfair b/c of that. It is a large city, but I didn't like it.
Good post, Jakedog. A large mass of population is necessary for city, but certainly not sufficient. Sprawl ain't a city!

Old 06-05-2007, 11:25 AM

7,816 posts, read 12,321,925 times
Rainrock, my trip to Philly was just a stop from DC to New York stopping to see the Liberty Bell But the tour bus passed through some really iffy neighborhoods.

Baltimore has a great Inner Harbor area and downtown and the crabcakes are delicious, plus the natural harbor setting is attractive, especially with FOrt McHenry and its historical significance.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:54 AM

6,488 posts, read 16,150,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Rainrock, my trip to Philly was just a stop from DC to New York stopping to see the Liberty Bell But the tour bus passed through some really iffy neighborhoods.

Baltimore has a great Inner Harbor area and downtown and the crabcakes are delicious, plus the natural harbor setting is attractive, especially with FOrt McHenry and its historical significance.
Yeah, and of course BALTIMORE doesn't have any "iffy neighborhoods!" LOL

Old 06-05-2007, 01:04 PM

369 posts, read 1,497,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown stuntman View Post
-New Orleans was a great city before Katrina (may be again), but like many places, its easy to understand how there would be a huge variance in perspectives (same w/ Vegas which is one place I love to visit but would NEVER consider living). The food and culture is terrific and there are some interesting neighborhoods as you approach Tulane. But let's face it: even pre-Katrina, a preponderance of the city limits is filthy, smells awful, is ugly, and has some very unsafe areas even within shouting distance of Bourbon Street. Yes every city has its slums and dangerous spots, but there isn't a city to the extent of New Orleans that is so unsafe so close to its hub of major activities.
Excuse me!!! All but about 5 of New Orleans' 30+ neighborhoods are teeming with hundreds of beautiful victorian houses. Just because most of them are small does not make them ugly. 2 of those 5 are filled to the brim with antebellum (pre-civil war) architecture.
House in the lower 9th ward. Ugly??

New Orleans Botanic Gardens as it looks today. Hideous and Smelly right.
http://neworleanscitypark.com/photogallery/albums/uploads/Recovery/normal_bg_rose1.jpg (broken link)

Shotgun House. Such ugly Boring Architecture. What a dirty, trash strewn sidewalk

Look, I am not trying to tell you that New Orleans is the greatest place on the planet. That would be a huge lie. I am just trying to show you that The French Quarter is not the only half-way nice thing about the city. I posted what I thought were the U.S.'s most unimpressive cities, but I did not attack those places and write things that could really hurt the feelings of people who happen to live there, that's not what this forum is about.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:40 PM

792 posts, read 2,903,168 times
Like I said, you take the good with the bad in New Orleans, and I believe more so than most other places. I am familair with the Botanic Gardens and Shotgun House. No complaints here. I know there is alot more to New Orleans than the French Qtr and its not just about getting skunk drunk every Mardi Gras. I in fact really miss living near New Orleans. But my criticisms also still hold and its not just New Orleans. For example, much of Baltimore I wouldn't have much positive to say about. Yet that doesn't mean I don't like the city of Baltimore. I think many are missing the boat with Baltimore, as there is quite a bit more to and a great array of food and bars throughout the upper and lower harbors, as well as Charles Street.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:08 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,394,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holloway1010 View Post
Excuse me!!! All but about 5 of New Orleans' 30+ neighborhoods are teeming with hundreds of beautiful victorian houses. Just because most of them are small does not make them ugly. 2 of those 5 are filled to the brim with antebellum (pre-civil war) architecture.
House in the lower 9th ward. Ugly??

New Orleans Botanic Gardens as it looks today. Hideous and Smelly right.
http://neworleanscitypark.com/photogallery/albums/uploads/Recovery/normal_bg_rose1.jpg (broken link)

Shotgun House. Such ugly Boring Architecture. What a dirty, trash strewn sidewalk

Look, I am not trying to tell you that New Orleans is the greatest place on the planet. That would be a huge lie. I am just trying to show you that The French Quarter is not the only half-way nice thing about the city. I posted what I thought were the U.S.'s most unimpressive cities, but I did not attack those places and write things that could really hurt the feelings of people who happen to live there, that's not what this forum is about.
I happen to like New Orleans, but those pictures are hardly what Id use to convey the cities' neighborhoods. Those homes are fugly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or